RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Which makes more power?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-19, 12:11 PM
Apone
Pole Position

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Which makes more power?

I've got a question for the group. I've had the car for a few years and I'm well aware of the options (limited) out there for modification. I've got a borla exhaust on the car currently, some may recall me saying that it is too loud - power be damned. So here is my question. RRRacing should know this as they have a dyno but I've never seen them post such info even on items they sell.
From a power perspective:
  • PPE equal length headers + stock exhaust = what power and how loud is it?
  • PPE equal length headers + RRRacing valved exhaust = power and how loud?
  • same headers and maybe an ark grip exhaust = power and how loud

So the goal is power/response improvement with a more exotic less loud sound. I'm wanting to know the power sacrafice with the stock exhaust and headers vs. the headers and the RRRacing exhaust. They also never publish the power with the valves closed which must be less. I suspect that headers makes about 30hp just like an exhaust does and that the combo only makes another 5hp or similar. If that's true I could get the power wthout waking the neighborhood and attracting every cop for 2 miles.
thank you in advance for your insight.
Old 02-16-19, 03:14 PM
RRRacing
Sponsor

Received 1,396 Likes on 639 Posts

Originally Posted by Apone
I've got a question for the group. I've had the car for a few years and I'm well aware of the options (limited) out there for modification. I've got a borla exhaust on the car currently, some may recall me saying that it is too loud - power be damned. So here is my question. RRRacing should know this as they have a dyno but I've never seen them post such info even on items they sell.

So the goal is power/response improvement with a more exotic less loud sound. I'm wanting to know the power sacrafice with the stock exhaust and headers vs. the headers and the RRRacing exhaust. They also never publish the power with the valves closed which must be less. I suspect that headers makes about 30hp just like an exhaust does and that the combo only makes another 5hp or similar. If that's true I could get the power wthout waking the neighborhood and attracting every cop for 2 miles.

Our Valvetronic Bazooka, Borla, and ARK systems are all going to make the same power. Our Valvetronic exhaust will be the loudest of the three option in “Bazooka” mode and the quietist in quiet mode.

I hope that answers it!

Rafi

Last edited by RRRacing; 01-04-21 at 05:20 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Apone (02-16-19)
Old 02-16-19, 08:52 PM
Apone
Pole Position

that does provide perspective, thank you.
Old 02-16-19, 09:32 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,475 Likes on 1,780 Posts

I would recommend looking into Invidia. 2.75 inch piping (bigger than Borla) and very smooth, melodic noise. Not muscle car noise at all and not as loud as Borla. It sounds very exotic.
The following 2 users liked this post by 05RollaXRS:
Apone (02-17-19), GunnyFitz (02-20-19)
Old 02-17-19, 05:26 AM
picklebush
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
I would recommend looking into Invidia. 2.75 inch piping (bigger than Borla) and very smooth, melodic noise. Not muscle car noise at all and not as loud as Borla. It sounds very exotic.
thank you for the insight. So $1,134.00? Wonder when that price will be falling under $1k.
Old 02-17-19, 06:04 AM
Apone
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Thank you, you always make an effort to help - it is noticed and appreciated.

I think there are 2 conclusions, judging by the response. 1 - Valved exhaust in closed position makes no more power than stock. 2 - Exhaust + headers makes only a small amount of power over just the exhaust. Until proven otherwise. Normally I would prefer data but we don't seem to have any.

Last edited by Apone; 02-17-19 at 06:16 AM. Reason: added more comment
Old 02-17-19, 06:31 AM
Mingofish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 330 Likes on 231 Posts

Apone,
think Rafi is trying to say that headers don’t make power without a high flow exhaust.
Not that headers don’t make much power compare to exhaust alone.

If you are wanting to control noise, I recommend a valved exhaust.
Mesti, armytrix, or the RR/PPE. Best of both worlds imo.

Personally, the car does not feel slower with valve closed.
I actually think for stop & go local/normal driving, the car feels like it has more low end torque/ throttle response compare to when the valves are open when in lower gears.
I typically only run the valves open on the track.

The following 3 users liked this post by Mingofish:
Apone (02-17-19), BossMoss (02-20-19), GunnyFitz (02-20-19)
Old 02-19-19, 03:17 PM
nycclaye
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ARK is a very deep and quiet exhaust. Perfect sound IMO and aside from the Armytrix, I think it's the best looking one out. I'm running the ARK with SIKKY headers being installed Thursday/Friday this week so I'll post up a video once it's done.
Apone (02-19-19)
Old 02-19-19, 05:15 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,475 Likes on 1,780 Posts

Originally Posted by picklebush

thank you for the insight. So $1,134.00? Wonder when that price will be falling under $1k.
Well, that is already a phenomenal price for such a high quality exhaust. Almost too good to be true. The craftsmanship, fit, finish and materials are absolutely top notch. This is the setup I am going for. If I need it a bit louder, I will do a resonator delete, but I have talked to owners and they seem happy as it is.
Old 02-19-19, 07:52 PM
Mingofish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 330 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by nycclaye
ARK is a very deep and quiet exhaust. Perfect sound IMO and aside from the Armytrix, I think it's the best looking one out. I'm running the ARK with SIKKY headers being installed Thursday/Friday this week so I'll post up a video once it's done.
Be ready for your neighbors to complaint. It’s gonna get a lot louder with headers.
Ark is a good looking for sure.
Apone (02-20-19)
Old 02-20-19, 03:26 AM
Apone
Pole Position

thanks Mingo, louder is definitely not the goal my man.
Old 02-20-19, 05:45 AM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Received 213 Likes on 162 Posts
Cool Armytrix

thanks Mingo, louder is definitely not the goal my man.
At the time of my Search for the perfect Exhaust - I did not want something overly loud and obnoxious whatsoever. I tapped into the knowledge "Rolla" provided me on all of the systems mentioned within this Thread of yours - and came to the conclusion that the Armytrix Valvetronic System was the right one for me. Having that ability to drop decibel levels down while coming into my Sub-Urban neighborhood was priceless. When opened up, and a heavy foot applied - this thing sings out like crazy! I am incredibly pleased w my choice 10 times over!
Old 02-20-19, 10:13 AM
diggdyone
Driver

Received 52 Likes on 32 Posts
Default BORLA solution....VALVES

Apone, here is a possible solution for those like me that want the control a valve gives you. A chevy guy has installed valves on his Stainless Works mufflers and Youtube is full of people that have installed valves. This maybe the route I will take once Borla is installed. A picture is a thousand words, so......

read more here
http://zr1.net/forum/showthread.php?t=21474

vac install
https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=314023

konichiwa3 (02-20-19)
Old 02-20-19, 07:17 PM
BossMoss
Pole Position

Received 129 Likes on 75 Posts

I would consider talking to Paul at PPE Headers. I've forgotten the numbers, but I'm almost certain he dyno'd my car with his headers and the stock exhaust. I seen to recall that it added about 25 to 30 HP on the dyno. Surprisingly, adding an exhaust did not bump the power as much as he expected - it was another 5-7 HP or in that neighborhood. That was with the valved PPE exhaust. Give him a call and he can most likely shed some more light on your question.
I love my car with PPE equal length headers and PPE exhaust. With the valve closed and minimal throttle (i.e. leaving the neighborhood), it's barely louder than stock. With the valve open and full throttle, it has a beautiful sound - yes, pretty loud, but not "Harley" loud. It turns heads though. I feel like I have the best of both worlds. TBQH, I wasn't focused on the HP gains at all. an additional 30+35 HP on top of stock HP at the wheels is only about a 10% gain, if that. While any HP gain is good, that amount won't make more than a tiny difference at the track.

I did drive my car with the EL headers and stock exhaust for a while. It was louder, but not that loud - very drivable; I would say noticeably louder, but not so much that it was obviously modified until I really got on it. And I could feel that small power difference on my butt dyno despite what I said above about the percentage gain. While I understand what Rafi is saying (and I agree that the stock exhaust is restrictive), I would add this caveat - you get more power from PPE headers and a stock exhaust than stock headers with any aftermarket exhaust. Obviously the ideal combo is the headers with exhaust. I wouldn't choose one based on reported power numbers at all. Go with the sound that will make you happy.
The following 2 users liked this post by BossMoss:
Apone (02-20-19), lobuxracer (02-20-19)
Old 02-20-19, 09:07 PM
Apone
Pole Position

I knew it. Boss is the person I was thinking of. You have posted this before, years ago when PPE was working with you on getting the exhaust designed. I may have even PMd you back then. I was surprised, but remembered, that there was not a big change in power with both. I was hoping to have more data points since then, especially when there are dynos around to test it. I can guarantee it has been tested and if there was a claim to be made, people would be selling based on it. To be fair the car is already faster than needed. A good sound that is not overly loud is what I'm after. Glad you showed up here Boss.
BossMoss (02-21-19)

Quick Reply: Which makes more power?