RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

TVD in 2020 RC F gone ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-19, 01:00 AM
LickSauce
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TVD in 2020 RC F gone ?

Did they remove TVD option in the 2020 model or are they using a different LSD replacing TVD ?

Standard

https://www.2020lexus.com/wp-content...F-Interior.png

Track Edition

Old 02-22-19, 05:44 AM
louczar
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Am I seeing the picture right? Is that red leather with red suede?
Old 02-22-19, 06:19 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,477 Likes on 1,782 Posts

I think they moved it somewhere else. my guess is it has been moved to the infotainment system.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 02-22-19 at 06:51 AM.
Old 02-22-19, 01:26 PM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 254 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by louczar
Not sure, but whatever it it, it sure looks good!

V.
Old 02-22-19, 04:21 PM
Bluecarbon
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by louczar
red leather with red alcantara in the seats. Red suede everywhere else.

Last edited by Bluecarbon; 02-23-19 at 02:57 AM.
Old 02-22-19, 09:38 PM
konichiwa3
Intermediate

Received 316 Likes on 174 Posts

I doubt they will have a TVD option available in the track edition. Personally I believe a better tuned suspension and an LSD is a much more effective way to improve handling. TVD involves compromises IMO.

The following users liked this post:
Movelexus (09-06-22)
Old 02-22-19, 10:34 PM
konichiwa3
Intermediate

One has to see TVD for what it is.

This goes back to Lexus philosophy for the RCF. The RCF was designed so that anyone regardless of technical driving skills can take it out to a race track and feel like a super star. It's a very forgiving car, hence one of the reasons why the RCF unfairly gets a bad rap in the press when comparing it to BMW M4.

BMW M4 will scare the living daylights off an inexperienced driver when driven at it's limit as it's a very raw unforgiving car.

Going back to the TVD, TVD is a way for Lexus to showcase a technological gizmo. However, this technology is just another crutch to again make the RCF more user friendly to a wide range of drivers regardless of skill.

A driver with a high level of skills would more than likely prefer not having the TVD as they have a good intuitive feel / fingerspitzengefuhl for balancing the car at it's limits and has no need for nanny gizmos.

That's why I believe with Lexus creating a more hardcore RCF in the Track Edition they will likely leave out the TVD option. After all if shedding weight was one of the critical success factors for the Track Edition why add more weight back in when there are better ways to go about achieving a better handling car.

Last edited by konichiwa3; 02-23-19 at 12:21 AM.
Old 02-23-19, 12:12 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by konichiwa3
One has to see TVD for what it is.

This goes back to Lexus philosophy for the RCF. The RCF was designed so that anyone regardless of technical driving skills can take it out to a race track and feel like a super star. It's a very forgiving car, hence one of the reasons why the RCF unfairly gets a bad rap in the press when comparing it to BMW M4.

BMW M4 will scare the living daylights off an inexperienced driver when driven at it's limit as it's a very raw unforgiving car.

Going back to the TVD, TVD is a way for Lexus to showcase a technological gizmo. However, this technology is just another crutch to again make the RCF more user friendly to a wide range of drivers regardless of skill.

A driver with a high level of skills would more than likely prefer not having the TVD as they have a good intuitive feel / fingerspitzengefuhl for balancing the car at it's limits and has no need for nanny gizmos.

That's why I believe with Lexus creating a more hardcore RCF in the Track Edition they will likely leave out the TVD option. After all if shedding weight was one of the critical success factors for the Track Edition why add more weight back in when there are better ways to go about achieving a better handling car.

Actually, don't entirely agree. TVD was created to kill any inherent on-limit understeer RCF has. That is what C&D head-to-head test showed. Even with an expert driver would suffer from some understeer while pushing to the limits on the RCF with the LSD while the TVD allows the car to be pushed to the limits by inducing rotation through the rear hence shifting the axis of rotation towards the back reducing the load on the front wheels to only steer.

Now, totally agree if Lexus ended up re-tuned the suspension/camber and chassis with reduced weight to almost eliminate majority of the understeer at the limit then I can see LSD being a viable option without the need for a TVD. I personally believe it still has TVD.

For a GSF (that has a 9 inch longer wheel base than the RCF), C&D still had this to say about it:

It’s that last piece of hardware, which is optional on the Lexus RC F coupe but standard on the GS F four-door, that makes this car feel so alive. By varying the torque distribution between the left and right rear wheels, Lexus engineers taught this 4128-pound sedan to move like an overgrown Miata. (Read our test of the RC F both with and without the hardware here.) The differential makes the car alternately more nimble and more stable, depending on the driver, the conditions, and yes, the mode selected. Driven conservatively—braking early, waiting for the apex, and powering out of the corner as the steering wheel unwinds—the GS F understeers like, well, a Lexus. Run hard—namely by feeding in more throttle earlier in corners—and the car delivers big, easy throttle-on drifts. Slalom mode makes the GS F wag its tail like a dachshund in a sausage factory, but the Track setting makes it utterly obedient, matching a deliberate driver’s inputs with textbook responses.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 02-23-19 at 03:28 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 05RollaXRS:
Colt45ccg (02-24-19), mk4umha (08-30-19)
Old 02-23-19, 03:42 PM
jcalvert86
Driver School Candidate

TVD will be available on premium or performance cars.

mk4umha (08-30-19)
Old 02-23-19, 08:25 PM
konichiwa3
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jcalvert86
TVD will be available on premium or performance cars.
I'm sure the 2020 RCF will still have TVD as an option. The debate here; Will the Track Edition have TVD? So far as evident from early press release photos there is no TVD button shown. I personally don't see the reason to have it on the Track Edition.

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Actually, don't entirely agree. TVD was created to kill any inherent on-limit understeer RCF has. That is what C&D head-to-head test showed. Even with an expert driver would suffer from some understeer while pushing to the limits on the RCF with the LSD while the TVD allows the car to be pushed to the limits by inducing rotation through the rear hence shifting the axis of rotation towards the back reducing the load on the front wheels to only steer.

Now, totally agree if Lexus ended up re-tuned the suspension/camber and chassis with reduced weight to almost eliminate majority of the understeer at the limit then I can see LSD being a viable option without the need for a TVD. I personally believe it still has TVD.

For a GSF (that has a 9 inch longer wheel base than the RCF), C&D still had this to say about it:
I'm simply trying to call a spade a spade. I don't see the benefit of having TVD on the Track Edition. TVD is a consumer related product with good marketing value to razzle and dazzle.

Again am not discounting TVD as "all show and no go", it does work very well however, there are many ways to skin a cat and I believe the most efficient way is a good suspension and LSD setup, no TVD. That way the Track Edition will still be very nimble without incurring the penalty of unnecessary weight and give it a more raw feel which more hard core track drivers enjoy.

Occam's Razor, the simplest solution is usually the best one.

Last edited by konichiwa3; 02-23-19 at 08:47 PM.
lobuxracer (02-23-19)
Old 02-24-19, 06:50 AM
CAHWY128
Advanced

Received 345 Likes on 227 Posts

Matt Farah drove both differentials in the RCF and talks about the differences here. He said he preferred the LSD.

Old 02-24-19, 08:15 AM
jcalvert86
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by konichiwa3
I'm sure the 2020 RCF will still have TVD as an option. The debate here; Will the Track Edition have TVD? So far as evident from early press release photos there is no TVD button shown. I personally don't see the reason to have it on the Track Edition.
Currently, no TVD for Track.
Old 02-24-19, 10:36 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CAHWY128
Matt Farah drove both differentials in the RCF and talks about the differences here. He said he preferred the LSD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y39cugr0GtQ&t=143s
Most probably he did not play around enough with the TVD at the time. Actually, depending on the mode selected, TVD makes it very easy to kick the tail out on-power as sudden additional torque is applied through the motors while powering out of the corner making the tail step out.

He does call it his favorite thing after then engine years later when he drives the GSF at 5:04.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 02-24-19 at 10:40 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by 05RollaXRS:
Colt45ccg (02-24-19), GunnyFitz (03-06-19), LexusfanVA (06-07-19), mk4umha (08-30-19)
Old 03-05-19, 03:01 AM
LickSauce
Rookie

konichiwa3 (03-05-19)
Old 09-05-19, 07:51 AM
LickSauce
Rookie

From what I've gathered, the Track Edition doesn't come with TVD. It's optional on the std RC F as per the package you go with.

Is TVD really worth it ? Or will I be fine without it ?

I'll be making a special order soon enough, need some feedback on TVD.

To order or Not to order...TVD

Quick Reply: TVD in 2020 RC F gone ?