RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Engine speaker at XXXX RPM?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-19 | 06:30 PM
picklebush
Driver

Default Engine speaker at XXXX RPM?

I have gotten conflicting information from the sales rep and watching YouTube videos on the 2015 RC F.

The sales guy at Grapevine Lexus in DFW said there is no internal speaker that augments the engine sound. However a YouTube video I was watching today mentioned that a cockpit speaker kicks in at 3000 or 5000 RPM or something like that to make the engine sound deeper. I’m not sure who to believe but I tend to think the dealer might know more. I no like speakers for engine sounds. Rrruuummm ruuumm! Lol

I am coming from BMW world and have finally left my last, fifth, BMW. (Slowly ripping my pampered, 2008 550i ‘Dinan 5’ away from my hands, I hope the 467 HP Lexus helps heal me quickly . My new-to-me 2015 RCF gets on the transport truck Friday and should be on my driveway Monday if everything goes well! Fingers crossed! Please forgive my stupid questions.
Old 02-26-19 | 06:50 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

There is amplified engine noise pumped through speaker only in sport+ mode, but not in normal/eco/sport modes. The 3800 rpm is the intake baffles opening, which also result in lots of engine noise getting into the cabin.

Once you put an aftermarket exhaust (cat back) on, you will no longer have to wonder about the noise since the stock exhaust is too quiet.
Old 02-26-19 | 06:55 PM
john341
Pole Position

I do not own an RCF, but here is what i know. The sound is mechanical and real-time, and is slightly augmented through the speakers. But, The secondary air intake also opens at >3000 RPM, giving you more sound and power, which is then piped into the cabin via a sound tube. Basically the sound is real not virtual as some reviewers like to claim.
Old 02-26-19 | 08:04 PM
Apone
Pole Position

Originally Posted by john341
I do not own an RCF, but here is what i know. The sound is mechanical and real-time, and is slightly augmented through the speakers. But, The secondary air intake also opens at >3000 RPM, giving you more sound and power, which is then piped into the cabin via a sound tube. Basically the sound is real not virtual as some reviewers like to claim.
He is correct, the sound is real but it is amplified when the intake opens.
Old 02-26-19 | 08:07 PM
Apone
Pole Position

Originally Posted by picklebush
I am coming from BMW world and have finally left my last, fifth, BMW. (Slowly ripping my pampered, 2008 550i ‘Dinan 5’ away from my hands, I hope the 467 HP Lexus helps heal me quickly .
Set me straight and confirm that you are leaving BMW because they break frequently and are expensive to deal with when they do so..... I'm asking for my own education and to influence me from buying one.
Old 02-26-19 | 11:46 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

I don't hear anything other than the bad ars V8 roar with my Borla exhaust!!! LOL....

I have gotten conflicting information from the sales rep and watching YouTube videos on the 2015 RC F.

The sales guy at Grapevine Lexus in DFW said there is no internal speaker that augments the engine sound. However a YouTube video I was watching today mentioned that a cockpit speaker kicks in at 3000 or 5000 RPM or something like that to make the engine sound deeper. I’m not sure who to believe but I tend to think the dealer might know more. I no like speakers for engine sounds. Rrruuummm ruuumm! Lol

I am coming from BMW world and have finally left my last, fifth, BMW. (Slowly ripping my pampered, 2008 550i ‘Dinan 5’ away from my hands, I hope the 467 HP Lexus helps heal me quickly . My new-to-me 2015 RCF gets on the transport truck Friday and should be on my driveway Monday if everything goes well! Fingers crossed! Please forgive my stupid questions.
Old 02-27-19 | 04:26 AM
picklebush
Driver

Originally Posted by john341
oh, ok, so a tube? Interesting! Thank you
Old 02-27-19 | 04:43 AM
picklebush
Driver

Originally Posted by Apone
Set me straight and confirm that you are leaving BMW because they break frequently and are expensive to deal with when they do so..... I'm asking for my own education and to influence me from buying one.
yes, they are kinda sexy, but the German engineering isn’t up to par anymore. If you’re the type to drive a new car every 4 or 5 years, then it might not be a problem. Always covered by warranty and such.

The days of driving a trouble free, or mostly trouble free BMW, into the 175,000 odometer range might be tough unless you have deep pockets and a spare set of wheels.

I’m the type, like my wife, to have a car for 8 or 9 years and put 75 to 100k miles on it. I would say the 550i, costs me probably double. I always wait till after depreciation, picking up this 08 in late 2010. I leased it then purchased it... but the monthly costs in the last 3 years 2015-2018 has cost an average of $320/month. I have always used a great Indy and he knows how to save money, but it is the fact that stuff keeps just breaking, parts are not free. I mean, not the same stuff breaks, but it’s never ending. If I kept the car another 9 years, I would probably would have replaced every mechanical and electrical part, I would have a whole new car!

i really love my 550i, it’s a freaking smile maker. Fast, sexy and predictable handling. I guess, if it didn’t have issues so frequently I would drive this into the 200k odometer reading.

Bottom line: don’t own a newer BMW outside of warranty if you want a daily that’s reliabile.
The following users liked this post:
Apone (02-27-19)
Old 02-27-19 | 04:43 AM
647TTA
Rookie

I pulled the short vacuum hose off of mine so the air filter intake door is open all of the time. I think it sounds much better than the sudden on/off noise as it crosses 3k rpm. Especially if you are at mid throttle and it is shifting around 4k - no noise, noise, shift, no noise, noise, shift, etc......
Old 02-27-19 | 04:51 AM
picklebush
Driver

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Once you put an aftermarket exhaust (cat back) on, you will no longer have to wonder about the noise since the stock exhaust is too quiet.
I admit, I have been eye balling some exhaust upgrades, but that is a couple of years away. I need to get use to the stock sound first lol
Old 02-27-19 | 04:59 AM
picklebush
Driver

Originally Posted by 647TTA
I pulled the short vacuum hose off of mine so the air filter intake door is open all of the time. I think it sounds much better than the sudden on/off noise as it crosses 3k rpm. Especially if you are at mid throttle and it is shifting around 4k - no noise, noise, shift, no noise, noise, shift, etc......
thanks, I’ll be looking into this too possibly. Gotta get into it first!
Old 02-27-19 | 08:31 AM
Apone
Pole Position

yes, they are kinda sexy, but the German engineering isn’t up to par anymore. If you’re the type to drive a new car every 4 or 5 years, then it might not be a problem. Always covered by warranty and such.

The days of driving a trouble free, or mostly trouble free BMW, into the 175,000 odometer range might be tough unless you have deep pockets and a spare set of wheels.

I’m the type, like my wife, to have a car for 8 or 9 years and put 75 to 100k miles on it. I would say the 550i, costs me probably double. I always wait till after depreciation, picking up this 08 in late 2010. I leased it then purchased it... but the monthly costs in the last 3 years 2015-2018 has cost an average of $320/month. I have always used a great Indy and he knows how to save money, but it is the fact that stuff keeps just breaking, parts are not free. I mean, not the same stuff breaks, but it’s never ending. If I kept the car another 9 years, I would probably would have replaced every mechanical and electrical part, I would have a whole new car!

i really love my 550i, it’s a freaking smile maker. Fast, sexy and predictable handling. I guess, if it didn’t have issues so frequently I would drive this into the 200k odometer reading.

Bottom line: don’t own a newer BMW outside of warranty if you want a daily that’s reliabile.
Thank you very much for your honesty and complete response. I find people defending rather than just sharing the facts. The cars are fun, but they can be trouble. Especially when compared to other brands. If you have the money and time to burn it sounds like it is ok.
Old 02-27-19 | 08:33 AM
Apone
Pole Position

thanks, I’ll be looking into this too possibly. Gotta get into it first!
check out maybe the edmunds or motor trend review. I'm certain they did this and lost low end power. It is set the way that it is for a reason turns out. Who knew it was not just for sound.
Old 02-27-19 | 09:02 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Apone
check out maybe the edmunds or motor trend review. I'm certain they did this and lost low end power. It is set the way that it is for a reason turns out. Who knew it was not just for sound.
Agreed, I used to have it (previous owner had done it). The dealership put it back on and I never took it off again. Unless you put a filter on it, it is going to allow dirty air to go through the airbox. Also, yes there is some noticeable loss in low end torque.

Just put a full catback exhaust on. I have had mine for just 1.5 years and now hit by the exhaust bug. I will be putting Invidia full cat back on in April.
Old 02-28-19 | 05:01 AM
647TTA
Rookie

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Agreed, I used to have it (previous owner had done it). The dealership put it back on and I never took it off again. Unless you put a filter on it, it is going to allow dirty air to go through the airbox. Also, yes there is some noticeable loss in low end torque.

Just put a full catback exhaust on. I have had mine for just 1.5 years and now hit by the exhaust bug. I will be putting Invidia full cat back on in April.
By closing off the vacuum line, it simply leaves the door open that lets more air into the air filter when the RPM goes over 3,000 RPM. Otherwise it only sucks through the small pipe that points to the grill. All of the air is still going through the air filter as designed. If there is any loss in low end, I haven't noticed it - but I didn't buy the RCF as a drag car. I bought it to enjoy, and it is more enjoyable to me when there isn't the sharp change in sound every time the RPM goes above/below 3,000 RPM. If I misunderstand how this functions, please educate me on what I am missing.

Last edited by 647TTA; 02-28-19 at 05:56 AM.

Quick Reply: Engine speaker at XXXX RPM?