RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Transformers...Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-19, 07:40 PM
diggdyone
Driver

Received 52 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Transformers...Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+

I brought the car used with MPSS, therefore the tires had over 10,000 miles. Here's my observant:

Ride- very stiff (I would see the bump on the road and wait to feel it) the ride was so bad I would dread taking a road home that has a considerable number of imperfections......the car road like a 2016 Camaro SS
Noise- LOUD and EXTRA LOUD over coarse interstate pavings
Traction- little to none...I could spend the rears and wheel hope anytime during take off and in turns
Tramming- none
Steering- tight, stiff, and like a GS F-sport in sport plus mode, and similar to an Acura Type S

The Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ observation:

Ride- Transformed into a smooth riding LEXUS...... rides like the GS Fsport and RC Fsport
Noise- quiet, normal, and surprisingly good while on the interstate
Traction- Amazing....with 1st gear pulls, I haven't spent the rear tires in the dry (32 degrees) or on wet roads (65 degrees)......also no slipping while truning
Tramming-none
Steering-Transformed into being light and easy to drive at low speeds or while parking....quick at high speeds

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ tires and Borla.....

have transformed this car from a firm riding V8 Lexus into a fun to drive dream Lexus

that sound.....

Last edited by diggdyone; 03-11-19 at 03:29 PM.
Old 03-11-19, 01:17 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

I have the same setup as you

My Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ REAR tires is almost gone....it's almost to the wear indicator bars.... Front ones are still "new looking".

I feel it sliding, especially in heavy rain. So I've already bought two rears to replace.

Originally Posted by diggdyone
I brought the car used with MPSS, therefore the tires had over 10,000 miles. Here's my observant:

Ride- very stiff (I would see the bump on the road and wait to feel it) the ride was so bad I would dread taking a road home that has a considerable number of imperfections......the car road like a 2016 Camaro SS
Noise- LOUD and EXTRA LOUD over coarse interstate pavings
Traction- little to none...I could spend the rears and wheel hope anytime during take off and in turns
Tramming- none
Steering- tight, stiff, and like a GS F-sport in sport plus mode, and similar to an Acura Type S

The Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ observation:

Ride- Transformed into a smooth riding LEXUS...... rides like the GS Fsport and RC Fsport
Noise- quiet, normal, and surprisingly good while on the interstate
Traction- Amazing....with 1st gear pulls, I haven't spent the rear tires in the dry (32 degrees) or on wet roads (65 degrees)......also no slipping while truning
Tramming-none
Steering-Transformed into being light and easy to drive at low speeds or while parking....quick at high speeds

have transformed this car from a firm riding V8 Lexus into a fun to drive dream Lexus
Old 03-11-19, 06:11 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,484 Likes on 1,788 Posts

Very odd you find the stock MPSS tires very stiff. Mine have roughly 10,000 miles as well, but I find them to be "mushy" especially with the super soft sidewalls. I hate the side-to-side shift leaning over the sidewalls. I am actually going for a stiffer setup with the XL-rated (reinforced sidewalls) MPS4S for my next tires. Anyway, glad you like A/S 3+.
The following users liked this post:
GunnyFitz (03-11-19)
Old 03-11-19, 10:54 AM
siredward
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Same setup as you A/S 3+ and Borla. Very happy also with the car, but I have not tried hard pulls in the heat of the summer yet.
Old 03-11-19, 10:59 AM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I also run the A/S 3+ because I spend a lot of time out of south Florida. In colder temps the summer tires grip is terrible, while I notice almost no difference in grip from the all seasons in 30 degree temps vs higher temps. I also notice a lot better grip in the rain from the all seasons. Which is nice even in south Florida because it rains a lot.

Last edited by Davew77; 03-11-19 at 01:04 PM.
Old 03-11-19, 11:59 AM
Apone
Pole Position

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Very odd you find the stock MPSS tires very stiff. Mine have roughly 10,000 miles as well, but I find them to be "mushy" especially with the super soft sidewalls. I hate the side-to-side shift leaning over the sidewalls. I am actually going for a stiffer setup with the XL-rated (reinforced sidewalls) MPS4S for my next tires. Anyway, glad you like A/S 3+.

I also find it curious that the all seasons are described as having more grip. I wonder if the previous summer tires were properly warmed up? Out of the garage first thing in the morning they will slip a bit if you jump on it too soon. They are performance summer tires of course and need a bit of heat. You literally cannot drive MPSS all year unless you live somewhere that never goes below 40ish. I don't go out under 45degrees myself.
My plan, like rolla, is to move to the MPS4S once I find a deal as it's starting to warm up and I'm itching to drive the car after a long winter in the Honda.
Old 03-11-19, 12:25 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,484 Likes on 1,788 Posts

My guess is, All-season tires have softer compound so it adheres better to dynamic load changes over the contact patch better than a stiffer summer tire, which bends/deforms a lot less so it will tend to "glide" over the surface rather than "digging in".

Originally Posted by Apone
I also find it curious that the all seasons are described as having more grip. I wonder if the previous summer tires were properly warmed up? Out of the garage first thing in the morning they will slip a bit if you jump on it too soon. They are performance summer tires of course and need a bit of heat. You literally cannot drive MPSS all year unless you live somewhere that never goes below 40ish. I don't go out under 45degrees myself.
My plan, like rolla, is to move to the MPS4S once I find a deal as it's starting to warm up and I'm itching to drive the car after a long winter in the Honda.
Old 03-11-19, 12:30 PM
spdrcr771
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I have the same tires as well. They looked like almost brand new 3 weeks ago when I bought the car. I've never owned a set of Michelin's before, but I know their reputation. I looked at the traction wear rating at 500, and thought. These things are going to suck at the road course! But Ill have to say, I was really surprised at the performance they put out. They seemed to perform like a 200 or

less traction wear tire. They also scrubbed off the sides of the front tires pretty bad. Im actually glad I only ran on Sat due to rain on Sunday. I think Id be having to replace the fronts asap.

Last edited by spdrcr771; 03-11-19 at 11:53 PM.
Old 03-11-19, 02:27 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,933 Likes on 1,362 Posts

^^^^I would not replace the AS +3 tires on the front and leave the rears alone. Hi-Po Summer tires have very different handling characteristics and rubber compounds than All Season tires. You may get into trouble, especially on a track. Just my opinion.

Lou
lobuxracer (03-11-19)
Old 03-11-19, 03:02 PM
diggdyone
Driver

Received 52 Likes on 32 Posts

3m wrap simply glows at night... had to show you

rear....still shine after a rain drive

this tire should have been an option....
Wow, I didn't realize so many of you guys roll with the A/S 3+...... I was really on the fence about getting MPS4S and after reading a report from Michelin about running summer tires in cold weather, my mind was made to pass on them (I do love how they look). Also, I drive my F everyday no matter the weather and wanted it to be safe here in North Georgia.

LEXUSRUS I have a question......How many miles on those rear tires?

Last edited by diggdyone; 03-11-19 at 03:14 PM.
Old 03-11-19, 06:05 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,024 Likes on 2,439 Posts

We've already burned through a set of A/S3+ on the GS F. Right front was chunking outer tread blocks, and this is the wife's daily that I never push because I always have the kids when I am driving it. I bought another set of them because they work just fine for what we need the car to do, but to say the A/S 3+ has better grip than the OEM tires is not even close to my experience as long as the outside temperature is above 45F. Under 45F, the summer tires are stiff and slide a lot easier than the A/S 3+, but once it warms even a little, the summer tires are head and shoulders better. Truth be told, I have A/S 3+ on my OEM '08 IS F wheels right now because the summer tires are so chattery in winter, even in Georgia. Once high temperatures get consistently in the 70's, the 2014 wheels with PS4S will be back on until late October/early November.
Apone (03-12-19)
Old 03-11-19, 07:20 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

I have put on about 24K miles on the Michelin Pilot Sport AS 3 Plus rears. But I had up sized to 285/35 R19 103Y XL BSW

Now the rears are ALMOST at the wear indicator bars. When new these were GREAT on wet cold below 40 and above 32 degrees F. But now I DO feel it slide in the rain. Will change to the new identical new replacements this week or next I have sitting around.

I noticed (EVEN NEW) these DO NOT have the same grips in DRY HOT weather as the OEM tires that we're on the RCF. But I needed AS for where my RCF is located during the winter months. So I went for the AS3+

I guess 24K miles on the rears is reasonable...... I wonder how the "mileage warranty" works on the staggered setup?

Wow, I didn't realize so many of you guys roll with the A/S 3+...... I was really on the fence about getting MPS4S and after reading a report from Michelin about running summer tires in cold weather, my mind was made to pass on them (I do love how they look). Also, I drive my F everyday no matter the weather and wanted it to be safe here in North Georgia.

Old 03-11-19, 07:48 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

I like the glow in the dark calibers.

Are these vinyl?

Where did you get these?

Old 03-11-19, 10:20 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,933 Likes on 1,362 Posts

^^^^Looks like the stock option, orange calipers to me!

Lou
Old 03-11-19, 10:53 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,024 Likes on 2,439 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusrus
...I guess 24K miles on the rears is reasonable...... I wonder how the "mileage warranty" works on the staggered setup?
They cut it in half. I got the same mileage on the GS F rears in OEM size and they were at 1.5mm tread depth.

Quick Reply: Transformers...Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+