Test Drove RC-F, Have Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-19, 08:46 AM
Brosillo
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Test Drove RC-F, Have Questions

Hi All,

I don't lurk around this RC-F forum often, but recently came across a good deal on an RC-F in my city. Since I am currently looking at 2011+ ISF's I figured I would give this high mileage RCF a try. For starters, I was in love with the looks of the car, the interior, and rims. I was actually kind of shocked how good looking of a car it is in person. Sounds good too, even with just the stock exhaust. With all this being said, I had three grips about the vehicle:

1: The visibility in this car seemed atrocious to me. I couldn't tell if it was just because I wasn't used to the car, or if it was actually that bad. Either way, it just seemed like I could barely see any direction besides forward.

2: Lag in the acceleration was very odd. When driving in manual-mode, the acceleration was awesome and I couldn't stop smiling. But when driving around in sport mode and auto, the delay in accelerating when mashing the gas, was extremely annoying. This could be if I'm just driving 60mph and want to gun it on the highway real quick to pass someone. When I put my foot all the way down, it seemed like the transmission had no idea what gear to go to and had to think for 2 seconds before taking off like a rocket. I get that 8 gears is a lot to search thru, but it was extremely annoying nonetheless. My IS350, while not nearly as fast, seems so much more enjoyable to mash the gas, because at least the acceleration is instant. The lack of instant acceleration also makes the car seem less predictable/safe when making decisions in traffic.

3: The Mark Levinson stereo system wasn't as great as I thought it would be. Not a big deal, but I thought it was going to be some new experience for me, but it really wasn't.

I would be spending $10k more ($200/month) if I were to go with the RCF over the ISF, and I'm just trying to figure out if it is worth it. Yes I realize both have the same stereo, and that is why I said it's not a big deal, I was just underwhelmed. And also, if someone has driven the ISF, does it have the same acceleration lag issues? There are no ISFs in my are for me to test drive, otherwise I would just go find out myself. Thanks for any help and opinions!
Old 03-26-19, 09:03 AM
BlueRCF10
Intermediate

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts

If you have the funds, I'd go with the RCF all day!

I do not notice a lag in acceleration and I think the sound system is very good. Is it from a Lexus dealer? If so, bring up the lag issue and they can try a re-learn which might change things up a bit...
Old 03-26-19, 09:32 AM
Lammyyy
Pole Position

Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Brosillo
Hi All,

I don't lurk around this RC-F forum often, but recently came across a good deal on an RC-F in my city. Since I am currently looking at 2011+ ISF's I figured I would give this high mileage RCF a try. For starters, I was in love with the looks of the car, the interior, and rims. I was actually kind of shocked how good looking of a car it is in person. Sounds good too, even with just the stock exhaust. With all this being said, I had three grips about the vehicle:

1: The visibility in this car seemed atrocious to me. I couldn't tell if it was just because I wasn't used to the car, or if it was actually that bad. Either way, it just seemed like I could barely see any direction besides forward.

2: Lag in the acceleration was very odd. When driving in manual-mode, the acceleration was awesome and I couldn't stop smiling. But when driving around in sport mode and auto, the delay in accelerating when mashing the gas, was extremely annoying. This could be if I'm just driving 60mph and want to gun it on the highway real quick to pass someone. When I put my foot all the way down, it seemed like the transmission had no idea what gear to go to and had to think for 2 seconds before taking off like a rocket. I get that 8 gears is a lot to search thru, but it was extremely annoying nonetheless. My IS350, while not nearly as fast, seems so much more enjoyable to mash the gas, because at least the acceleration is instant. The lack of instant acceleration also makes the car seem less predictable/safe when making decisions in traffic.

3: The Mark Levinson stereo system wasn't as great as I thought it would be. Not a big deal, but I thought it was going to be some new experience for me, but it really wasn't.

I would be spending $10k more ($200/month) if I were to go with the RCF over the ISF, and I'm just trying to figure out if it is worth it. Yes I realize both have the same stereo, and that is why I said it's not a big deal, I was just underwhelmed. And also, if someone has driven the ISF, does it have the same acceleration lag issues? There are no ISFs in my are for me to test drive, otherwise I would just go find out myself. Thanks for any help and opinions!
1. Visibility isn't too bad for me except for the blind spots. There's BSM though so it kinda makes up for it but you learn to live with it.
2. I had my ECU reflashed and I drive on S+ all the time so I don't have the lag. I really like how the RC-F kinda has a "secondary" level for the pedal when you mash the gas all the way down.
3. Mark Levinson is nice - I don't think it's anything spectacular but I've had ML in all my Lexus so I can't give too much feedback about that.
If it's in budget and you don't need four doors, I think the RC-F is a great purchase because it's more updated (tech and aesthetically) and I personally think it looks better. The RC-F is super rare in my area so I always get a ton of compliments where ever I go whereas the IS-F looks like a more common ISx50 to people who don't have an eye for these things.
I've driven both and the IS-F feels a bit faster from a dig because it's lighter and it has more aggressive gearing than the RC-F. When we do highway pulls with a few local FBO IS-F though, my RC-F always walks them from a roll.
Old 03-26-19, 09:42 AM
OldManRCF
Driver

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

1. coming from a 4 door with a bunch of large windows into a 2 door vehicle, you will feel like you are boxed in at first. You have to utilize your mirrors more, but this feeling goes away with time. I remember this from when i first switched from a 4 door into a 2 door.

2. This is very common and even my RC F does this when going WOT in automatic mode. I've read stories about the re-flash mentioned above improving and/or eliminating the lag, but i have no experience yet with the fix. I have the same complaint pending for the next dealership visit.

3. If you want to be impressed with the ML system, crawl into a Hyundai and then back into the Lexus
Old 03-26-19, 09:52 AM
BlueRCF10
Intermediate

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by OldManRCF
1. coming from a 4 door with a bunch of large windows into a 2 door vehicle, you will feel like you are boxed in at first. You have to utilize your mirrors more, but this feeling goes away with time. I remember this from when i first switched from a 4 door into a 2 door.

2. This is very common and even my RC F does this when going WOT in automatic mode. I've read stories about the re-flash mentioned above improving and/or eliminating the lag, but i have no experience yet with the fix. I have the same complaint pending for the next dealership visit.

3. If you want to be impressed with the ML system, crawl into a Hyundai and then back into the Lexus
Hahaha! Excellent point in regards to #3
Old 03-26-19, 09:58 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,473 Likes on 1,778 Posts

I never use the auto mode. Coming from 6 speed manual for 16 years (still my daily driver), manual mode with sport+ is the way to go and the throttle response is super sharp. That is what was designed for spirited driving. I think the auto mode was really for people who daily drive and don't want to be jumpy all the time.

The ML system in RCF is different from the ISF so I am not sure where you got that from.

RCF is modern compared to the ISF. Interior, exterior, suspension, engine etc. all of them have been developed heavily for the RCF so it is a matter of preference. Though, if the RCF has very high mileage, I would tend to steer clear of it since it would depend heavily on how previous owner treated it.
Old 03-26-19, 10:53 AM
Brosillo
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Seems weird that some people notice the acceleration lag, while others do not. In my IS350, if I mash my gas pedal to the floor, it immediately downshifts to the correct gear and then takes off like it should. In the RCF, it was literally at least 1 second before it decides and then obviously takes off like a rocket. It's that 1-2 seconds that is the real deal breaker for me because it would seem weird to pay $40k for a vehicle that doesn't behave the way I would like all the time. I get that 1 second doesn't sound that long, but it just makes the driving experience seem a little "off".

I see you all mentioning ECU flashes that get rid of that, so is that the tunes like RR Racing that would get rid of the delay. Because if so, I was planning on doing the tune almost immediately after purchasing. I know a lot of people drive in the manual mode, but 90% of my driving would just want the automatic to work similarly/better than my current vehicle.
Old 03-26-19, 10:55 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,473 Likes on 1,778 Posts

People who put Apexi throttle controller also say it makes it more aggressive in auto mode.

Originally Posted by Brosillo
Seems weird that some people notice the acceleration lag, while others do not. In my IS350, if I mash my gas pedal to the floor, it immediately downshifts to the correct gear and then takes off like it should. In the RCF, it was literally at least 1 second before it decides and then obviously takes off like a rocket. It's that 1-2 seconds that is the real deal breaker for me because it would seem weird to pay $40k for a vehicle that doesn't behave the way I would like all the time. I get that 1 second doesn't sound that long, but it just makes the driving experience seem a little "off".

I see you all mentioning ECU flashes that get rid of that, so is that the tunes like RR Racing that would get rid of the delay. Because if so, I was planning on doing the tune almost immediately after purchasing. I know a lot of people drive in the manual mode, but 90% of my driving would just want the automatic to work similarly/better than my current vehicle.
Old 03-26-19, 11:24 AM
buister
Pit Crew

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

LOL, I had the same exact gripes that you mentioned after I got my car last year. I also have an IS350, which I'm used to regarding how linear the acceleration is. Not Dr. Jekkell and Mr. Hyde like the RCF. It took me a while to get used to the visibility also. The lane change warning lights in the rear view mirrors help. About point #2, when you drive in normal or S mode, it helps to downshift a gear or two before pushing on the gas. This became my habit now. You still get a lag but shorter. About the ML system, you will appreciate it when you listen at the volume 50 and higher. The distortion is minimal and the bass doesn't blow your eardrums out, still you can feel the pressure waves beating on your chest. Not to mention you can't see clearly the cars behind you because the rear view mirror vibrates so bad.
Old 03-26-19, 08:07 PM
Ken34
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just bought an Rc f today, and I have the same gripe when talking about the reaction to mashing my foot down, I know that's what manual mode and sport+ are for, but I have driven nothing but manual transmission cars, thought it would be nice to be a little lazy for once lol.

When you guys talk about reflash, is this in reference to the fuel pump recall, or can you just ask the dealership to reflash for hesitant acceleration?
Old 03-27-19, 07:19 PM
LexusRCF15
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Neither the fuel pump reflash, RR tune, or Apexi throttle controller will correct the lag which you’re referring to.

Brought the vehicle back to two dealers when new (2015) and they each said there was nothing unusual about it. In their defense, we drove a brand new GS-F at the time and it did the same thing.

Rafi at RR said that no one prior had complained of the issue when I brought it to his shop. He stated that the time it would require to correct the issue on my car wasn’t worth the investment.

The auto is quite quick in manual mode but as u stated it sucks in Auto.

Unfortunately, our cars are so low-volume compared to the rest of Lexus’ fleet that they don’t care or acknowledge the issue.

Had the auto shifted hard(er) in auto, critics would’ve dismissed the lack of low-end torque and it would’ve probably been more successful imo.
Old 03-27-19, 09:00 PM
RCFCoop
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I only had the issue when coming out of a turn, the car would hesitate for a second before coming alive. interestingly enough that was fixed by the Fuel pump re-flash. I blew a ML speaker, and am still waiting for my replacement. IMO my RC350 had a better sound system non-ML. I agree with the others though, in three months back in Utah I have seen one other RC-F and none when I lived in the panhandle of Florida. Neighbors always come over asking what exactly it is!
Old 03-28-19, 12:01 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,971 Likes on 2,403 Posts

There is nothing in the fuel pump reflash that impacts the TCU. The only difference is they disconnect the power from the ECM after the reflash so you get to go through the whole transmission learning process again - learning how you drive - so when it finishes this, it's better tailored to your use pattern.

My GS F does not exhibit this behavior and never has. It didn't get a factory break-in; I don't ever want another oil burner.
Old 03-28-19, 11:26 AM
Ken34
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

after driving it for a while longer, i just leave it in sport + and manual mode, the car feels great like that and you have the best response times and control over it.
Old 03-30-19, 02:38 PM
airlaird
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Well it's nice to hear others complain about the lag..it is there in the auto mode. I do keep mine i sport plus all the time...but yeah...it is there..
airlaird

Quick Reply: Test Drove RC-F, Have Questions