RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Borla Exhaust Video

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-19, 09:49 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,484 Likes on 1,788 Posts

Originally Posted by tenzen808
. I like how the Invidia looks and people seem to be generally happy with it but I think it's on the quieter side as well?
Not to hijack the thread but, it is not on the quieter side unless you really want a very loud exhaust. The diameter is one of the largest at 2.75 inches. Just the resonators and piping have thicker walls. It does not have the burly/bassy muscle car noise that the Borla has. It is more melodic, smooth/exotic-like and aggression changes based on rpms and how much throttle you apply. Most of all, the build quality is simply stunning for the price especially when you get it with the titanium tips. I open the window about 1/4 of an inch and it gives me great echoing noise off other cars, curbs and walls etc. Unless you want a very loud exhaust, I highly recommend it. It has the perfect loudness for me and especially my 4 year old daughter and wife.

Here is my cold start up video:

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 05-21-19 at 10:03 PM.
Old 05-22-19, 08:26 AM
Apone
Pole Position

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

I own and have lived with the Borla before taking it off recently - it is loud. If that is what the OP wanted, and his fall backs are GTHAUS and Armytrix, I think he wants loud. In comparison, the Invidia is quieter than all of those options which is why I considered switching to it. I think it sounds great but I liked it for the reduced sound, not equal to Borla imho.

And Rolla, your cold start is in a garage with two tall cars next to it to reflect on. That's the best chance to sound loud. It did sound good when you first drove it out of the shop though on install day.
Old 05-22-19, 10:39 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 695 Likes on 611 Posts

I wish I had the extra money to get a GTHAUS...

I was dead-set on a Borla and was saving up some money (disabled so it takes me a bit lol) and was really bummed that they discontinued it. I've been listening to clips of Ark and Invidia. It seems like the Ark is quieter and the consensus is that it pretty much needs headers for it to sound loud enough. I like how the Invidia looks and people seem to be generally happy with it but I think it's on the quieter side as well?

The Apexi sounds kind of ricer-ish from the videos...I had a 2015 GS350 F-Sport prior to the RCF and I had a Tanabe exhaust on it. It seems like it sounded similar? I wasn't too big a fan of the Tanabe.

I wish Armytrix and GTHAUS was closer to $2500-3000 then I'd for sure go with one of those. The $4-5k mark is a little rich for me.

I guess that gives a little idea on what I'm looking for sound-wise and my price range $1200 (Invidia) to $2000ish. I know my shipping is gonna hurt...I'm in Hawaii.
We can get you a good price shipped to Hawaii for the Invidia then!

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 05-22-19, 11:11 AM
tenzen808
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How is the sound quality and volume between the Ark and the Invidia?

It doesn't have to be loud loud, but I'm comparing it from youtube videos. Based off of the comments I don't think I'm getting a good grasp on how loud the Borla was. I liked the tone of it and it did sound a bit louder than the rest.

Right now I'm running with a resonator delete only. I do want it louder than how it is now. But it's pretty difficult to compare based on clips from the internet. The Armytrix and GTHaus I would like because it has cut-offs not really based on volume for those. Plus the build quality looks good on those.
Old 05-22-19, 11:14 AM
tenzen808
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Not to hijack the thread but, it is not on the quieter side unless you really want a very loud exhaust. The diameter is one of the largest at 2.75 inches. Just the resonators and piping have thicker walls. It does not have the burly/bassy muscle car noise that the Borla has. It is more melodic, smooth/exotic-like and aggression changes based on rpms and how much throttle you apply. Most of all, the build quality is simply stunning for the price especially when you get it with the titanium tips. I open the window about 1/4 of an inch and it gives me great echoing noise off other cars, curbs and walls etc. Unless you want a very loud exhaust, I highly recommend it. It has the perfect loudness for me and especially my 4 year old daughter and wife.

Here is my cold start up video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buOy7ENzLaY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwMkKIJ02jo
Do you know if it would be difficult to delete the resonators on the Invidia? On my stock exhaust I have deleted resonators, I wonder if it would fit?
Old 05-22-19, 11:35 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,484 Likes on 1,788 Posts

Do you know if it would be difficult to delete the resonators on the Invidia? On my stock exhaust I have deleted resonators, I wonder if it would fit?
I think it should be easy just like any other resonator delete. Just keep in mind the diameter of the Invidia is a much bigger than stock (2.75 inches vs less than 2.0 inches) so you might have to find a proper diameter pipe to replace the resonators.
The following users liked this post:
tenzen808 (05-22-19)
Old 05-22-19, 11:46 AM
tenzen808
Driver School Candidate

Yah I was thinking of having the custom exhaust store I used for the resonator delete to put together something like that using 2.75 SS pipe. I wonder if it would make a difference in sound.
Old 05-23-19, 10:46 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

They sound way better than a resonator delete..

-Josh

Orange County, CA
Old 05-23-19, 10:51 AM
tenzen808
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Meraki Autoworks
They sound way better than a resonator delete..

-Josh
I figured as much. I was trying to figure out if I can delete the resonator from the Invidia to make that exhaust a bit louder? Since it seems that the Invidia is a bit quieter than most of the other exhausts out there. How does it compare to the Ark in terms of sound and volume? Thanks for answering my questions. =)
Old 05-23-19, 10:53 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Oh yes people do that as well!

An Invidia with a resonator delete will probably be louder than the Ark.. I'm pretty sure it is if I can remember correctly.

-Josh

Orange County, CA
Old 05-23-19, 11:00 AM
tenzen808
Driver School Candidate

I may end up going that route. I'll definitely think it through. Still hoping for a used Borla or one sitting on the shelf shows up though.
Old 05-23-19, 11:06 AM
Apone
Pole Position

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

I may end up going that route. I'll definitely think it through. Still hoping for a used Borla or one sitting on the shelf shows up though.
I have the rear section mufflers and short pipes, I used the rest of the Borla pipes to connect to the RRacing valved set up. Since they match exactly, you could buy the RR front section and the Borla rear section and arrive at the same place.