RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

How many cats?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-19, 10:52 AM
Fysisist
Pole Position

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

I'm from UT lived there a long time. Question is are they going to check your setup next time you have emissions test? Cuz in CA they inspect it every smog check and car won't pass if cats have been deleted. Hopefully you can get around it, not sure. Good luck.

Where we currently live you can do whatever the hell you want with your exhaust. There are maniacs driving around here with test pipes, or in old-school terms, uncapped headers. It's exhaust open season.

Last edited by Fysisist; 04-05-19 at 10:56 AM.
Old 04-05-19, 11:00 AM
RCFCoop
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Even in the hood, they won’t do it!
Old 04-05-19, 11:11 AM
CK9887
Pole Position

Received 57 Likes on 28 Posts

Do you know anyone with a lift? It should be an easy install and something you could do yourself. If I'm not mistaken, it simply bolts on. No welding or cutting.

May even be able to do it on jack stands. May be a pain in the *** but I'd go this route before having to drive out of state or chopping up the exhaust.
Old 04-05-19, 11:18 AM
RCFCoop
Driver

Originally Posted by CK9887
Do you know anyone with a lift? It should be an easy install and something you could do yourself. If I'm not mistaken, it simply bolts on. No welding or cutting.

May even be able to do it on jack stands. May be a pain in the *** but I'd go this route before having to drive out of state or chopping up the exhaust.
facts. They really have these businesses afraid. It’s crazy
Old 04-05-19, 11:56 AM
RCFCoop
Driver

Originally Posted by Fysisist
I'm from UT lived there a long time. Question is are they going to check your setup next time you have emissions test? Cuz in CA they inspect it every smog check and car won't pass if cats have been deleted. Hopefully you can get around it, not sure. Good luck.

Where we currently live you can do whatever the hell you want with your exhaust. There are maniacs driving around here with test pipes, or in old-school terms, uncapped headers. It's exhaust open season.
i have Florida plates so I won’t be doing UT inspection, unfortunately that doesn’t sway them either.

Randomly I was driving and happened to look over the side of the over pass and saw a bunch of imports in various stages of modification. Upon investigation, there’s a import tuning and conversion shop back there owned by Brandon Wicknick, a pretty great drifter, for any of you that follow. Anyway, they are busy completing a build but I can get in next week. Hopefully this is the end of it
Old 04-05-19, 12:25 PM
DarkDays
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No offense but, why not just install it yourself? It's really not difficult. A friend and I did mine in a couple hours.
Old 04-05-19, 12:30 PM
RCFCoop
Driver

Originally Posted by DarkDays
No offense but, why not just install it yourself? It's really not difficult. A friend and I did mine in a couple hours.
none taken..but since the hurricane hit us in Florida I lost ALL of my tools and have yet to replace them. Also have some degenerated discs I prefer to keep happy. Gotta have my spine a while longer lol.
Old 04-05-19, 12:31 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,495 Likes on 1,795 Posts

Originally Posted by RCFCoop
none taken..but since the hurricane hit us in Florida I lost ALL of my tools and have yet to replace them. Also have some degenerated discs I prefer to keep happy. Gotta have my spine a while longer lol.
Invidia is super easy to install. It is a perfect fit. My shop did it in 45 minutes. Majority of the time is taking off the braces and shields and then putting them back on. If you have the tools (borrow a friend?) and access to jack stands, you can easily do it with a friend's help at home.
Old 04-05-19, 12:35 PM
RCFCoop
Driver

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Invidia is super easy to install. It is a perfect fit. My shop did it in 45 minutes. Majority of the time is taking off the braces and shields and then putting them back on. If you have the tools (borrow a friend?) and access to jack stands, you can easily do it with a friend's help at home.
i’ll look into it. I really avoid lifting or wrenching at all, when I have a flare up I have trouble walking for at least three months. I appreciate everyone’s input on my little adventure today.
Old 04-05-19, 02:56 PM
RCFCoop
Driver

Originally Posted by DarkDays
so I did a bunch of research and I think I am going to try this. Any RC F specific things I should be aware of prior to trying this? Does look really simple and I have sockets, I’ll get the rest of the stuff and attack it this weekend.
Old 04-07-19, 05:58 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

I would not chance the possibility of throwing your back out and then in pain for months trying to recover especially if you have a known degenerative disc disease for your back.

This is what I remembered when I had a professional shop install my Borla. I could have done it myself in about 3 to 4 hours as I had all the tools and jacks/stands/ramps I needed. But I decided to just the the pros do it. It was around $175 for the install as I recall. Probably cheaper if I went to a cut rate shop instead, but the one I went to was a custom shop. I thought it was reasonable. Also if anything goes wrong, the professional custom shop will stand behind their work. They took lots of before and after photos AND videos!!!

As I remembered when looking at the bottom side of my RCF while on the lift was that the two primary cats are in the headers. The two SECONDARY cats are further down stream which were replaced with the Borla exhaust. Just unscrew the SECONDARY O2 sensors and take off the OEM pipes and put in the Borla exhaust pipes and screw back in the two O2 sensors. Secure EVERYTHING and fire up to check for any leaks or anything loose. There was no errors on my dashboard after the Borla exhaust install.

I hope this helps and good luck.

Originally Posted by RCFCoop
i’ll look into it. I really avoid lifting or wrenching at all, when I have a flare up I have trouble walking for at least three months. I appreciate everyone’s input on my little adventure today.
Old 04-07-19, 07:44 AM
RCFCoop
Driver

Originally Posted by lexusrus
I would not chance the possibility of throwing your back out and then in pain for months trying to recover especially if you have a known degenerative disc disease for your back.

This is what I remembered when I had a professional shop install my Borla. I could have done it myself in about 3 to 4 hours as I had all the tools and jacks/stands/ramps I needed. But I decided to just the the pros do it. It was around $175 for the install as I recall. Probably cheaper if I went to a cut rate shop instead, but the one I went to was a custom shop. I thought it was reasonable. Also if anything goes wrong, the professional custom shop will stand behind their work. They took lots of before and after photos AND videos!!!

As I remembered when looking at the bottom side of my RCF while on the lift was that the two primary cats are in the headers. The two SECONDARY cats are further down stream which were replaced with the Borla exhaust. Just unscrew the SECONDARY O2 sensors and take off the OEM pipes and put in the Borla exhaust pipes and screw back in the two O2 sensors. Secure EVERYTHING and fire up to check for any leaks or anything loose. There was no errors on my dashboard after the Borla exhaust install.

I hope this helps and good luck.
thanks. I started yesterday just going slow, unpacking new tools and figuring things out. Didn’t hurt my back, but had a socket slip sending my elbow into the undercarriage at full tilt. Hopefully I’ll be able to finish up today. I’ll post an update this afternoon.
Old 04-08-19, 05:38 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Haha, so true. I did not get my Borla exhaust from this particular vendor, but still had a disclaimer tag attached. Also shipping to Cali was gonna cost a lot more since technically not allowed. But my RCF was located out of the reach of Republic of California, so shipped to another state that welcomed loud exhausts and all tuner cars and trucks!!!

Originally Posted by OldManRCF
unfortunately for states with emissions, any exhaust that eliminates the secondary cats / resonators is for off road use only. The exhaust itself will have this disclaimer when purchasing. I live in FL and don't have to deal with this nonsense but many do.

for example, the disclaimer is on this Borla exahust from a forum vendor.

https://www.modinjapan.com/borla-rc-...art-12671.html