RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

DIY Invidia Cat back install complete

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-20, 08:02 PM
SUNNYRCF
Pit Crew

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts

I have the removal tool and the O2 sensor is loose enough to unscrew by hand. I didn't want to twist the wire all up, so thought I should unplug it. It looks like it goes under the carpet or center console of the car, but it's not obvious.Do people just leave it plugged in and twist up the wires while they unscrew the sensor?
Old 03-19-20, 08:55 PM
SUNNYRCF
Pit Crew

Ok, it was a dumb question after all. I didn't know how deep the threads on the O2 sensor were, but after looking at some installation pictures on the forum it was obvious that they left the harness plugged in. I removed it from the boot to minimize the twisting, but the O2 sensor and exhaust are both off and tomorrow I'll install the new Invidia exhaust! can't wait to hear it!
Old 03-19-20, 09:25 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,484 Likes on 1,788 Posts

Good stuff. Write your impressions of it. I am a happy Invidia owner of 1.5 years and could not be happier. Remember to reset your ECU after you install as the computer needs to get used to the different level of exhaust flow.
Old 03-20-20, 05:08 AM
SC430inVA
Pit Crew

Received 67 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by RCFCoop
Looks like I completed a drive cycle..threw a CEL, and I’m sure it’s just a leak. Was I supposed to reuse the oem gaskets from the cat to the midpipe? And on that midpipe to muffler connection that huge gasket where the spring bolts are, does it close completely? Seems like those gaskets leave quite a gap
You need to use a "doughnut" type gasket at that location. A flat flange gasket will not close that gap. NAPA should have what you need. I believe it is 3".
The following 2 users liked this post by SC430inVA:
05RollaXRS (03-20-20), RCFCoop (03-20-20)
Old 03-20-20, 07:12 AM
RCFCoop
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by SC430inVA
You need to use a "doughnut" type gasket at that location. A flat flange gasket will not close that gap. NAPA should have what you need. I believe it is 3".
yep I just ordered from Lexus.

Originally Posted by SUNNYRCF
I have the removal tool and the O2 sensor is loose enough to unscrew by hand. I didn't want to twist the wire all up, so thought I should unplug it. It looks like it goes under the carpet or center console of the car, but it's not obvious.Do people just leave it plugged in and twist up the wires while they unscrew the sensor?
If you ever did need to unplug, it’s behind the panel right next to your right knee when behind the wheel. Same location on passenger side (left knee)
Old 03-20-20, 10:34 AM
SC430inVA
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by RCFCoop
yep I just ordered from Lexus.

Not sure the lexus doughnut will fit as pipe diameter of the Invidia is larger than oem. See if the Lexus diameter is 3"
Good luck

Last edited by lobuxracer; 03-20-20 at 12:03 PM.
Old 03-24-20, 08:08 AM
JMB16RCF
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just installed mine last week. The exhaust should have came with 3 sets of seals. 2 small gaskets, 2 big gaskets and 2 "donut" type. You do not reuse any of the oem seals. The "donut" type goes in the back with the spring bolts.
The following users liked this post:
nigel821 (04-28-21)
Old 03-24-20, 03:46 PM
SC430inVA
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by JMB16RCF
I just installed mine last week. The exhaust should have came with 3 sets of seals. 2 small gaskets, 2 big gaskets and 2 "donut" type. You do not reuse any of the oem seals. The "donut" type goes in the back with the spring bolts.
While doing my install last week as well, it was apparent that the factory gasket at the cats would not provide much bearing on the Invidia flange because the pipe opening on the Invidia is so much larger. It barely lands on metal and appears as a leak waiting to happen. I used a flat flange gasket at that connection and so far, all is well.

Regarding the sound of the exhaust, it is perfect for me and totally meets my expectations. I cannot speak to increased power as my butt dyno has not been calibrated.
Old 03-24-20, 05:23 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

While doing my install last week as well, it was apparent that the factory gasket at the cats would not provide much bearing on the Invidia flange because the pipe opening on the Invidia is so much larger. It barely lands on metal and appears as a leak waiting to happen. I used a flat flange gasket at that connection and so far, all is well.

Regarding the sound of the exhaust, it is perfect for me and totally meets my expectations. I cannot speak to increased power as my butt dyno has not been calibrated.
Glad you like the Invidia and have come around to Invidia exhaust and its sound.

You should try resetting your ECU completely and it will usually make the ECU re-learn. There is around a 20 whp gain, but that is really at the top of the rpm band just under 7.5K rpm. There is some decent torque gain in the midrange that makes the car feel peppier from 3000 - 5000 rpm. From 6000 rpm to under 7500 rpm, there is definitely a very noticeable power gain as it races towards redline with a lot more urgency based on my experiences. Cheers!
Old 03-24-20, 08:10 PM
SC430inVA
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Glad you like the Invidia and have come around to Invidia exhaust and its sound.

You should try resetting your ECU completely and it will usually make the ECU re-learn. There is around a 20 whp gain, but that is really at the top of the rpm band just under 7.5K rpm. There is some decent torque gain in the midrange that makes the car feel peppier from 3000 - 5000 rpm. From 6000 rpm to under 7500 rpm, there is definitely a very noticeable power gain as it races towards redline with a lot more urgency based on my experiences. Cheers!
Thanks Rolla, I think the exhaust note is spot on.
Regarding resetting the ECU. Is that in reference to aggressive driving for the ECU to learn current/revised driving habits or is there another way to reflash? What happens when you take a long trip in normal mode and tranny in auto? Does the ECU relearn that driving style and dial the performance back? Seems like the old "what have you done for me lately" routine and doesn't make much sense.
Old 03-24-20, 08:36 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks Rolla, I think the exhaust note is spot on.
Regarding resetting the ECU. Is that in reference to aggressive driving for the ECU to learn current/revised driving habits or is there another way to reflash? What happens when you take a long trip in normal mode and tranny in auto? Does the ECU relearn that driving style and dial the performance back? Seems like the old "what have you done for me lately" routine and doesn't make much sense.
Yes, from the documentation I read it is an artificially intelligent ECU that will do adjustments based on your driving style. I drive mostly kind of mildly with some sprints in 1st and 2nd gear, but I always keep it in manual and sport+ so it seems to keep it quite aggressive. It is very snappy especially with the tire pressures I am running (39R/37F).. Still, I think you should feel the additional power when you go to redline in sport+/manual
Old 06-13-20, 08:10 AM
Fl350z
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey Lou how are you? Which size did you use for the exhaust O2 sensor removal?
Old 06-13-20, 03:09 PM
SUNNYRCF
Pit Crew

I ordered this kit since I wasn't sure which would work the best. The 3/8 inch Drive 7/8 inch (22 mm) Deep socket is the only one I needed.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00062ZK5M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00062ZK5M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 11-24-20, 07:13 AM
nigel821
Racer

Received 778 Likes on 482 Posts

Not to bumper an old thread or beat a dead horse here but I've seen several posts now indicating to use the stock Invidia gaskets that come with the kit. Then some people say those gaskets are not good and NOT to use them. There are other people that say they had their installer or themselves order and use OEM Toyota gaskets..etc.

This thread: Post #6 is stating to use OEM Toyota gaskets part #90917-06070 (catalytic converter to midpipe joint), then also get the bolts/nuts: 90105-10590 (bolt) and 90177-10007 (self locking nut)
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rc-...ing-a-cel.html

I'm seriously not trying to stir the pot. Just want to make sure when I get the exhaust if it's recommended to use OEM hardware, I'd much rather do that, than to have to get the car back onto the lift, remove pieces and change out gaskets because something failed because they were inferior...etc.

I was under the impression that the Invidia exhaust was bigger in diameter. Which then makes me wonder how OEM gaskets are used since there should be an obvious gap/fitment issue... but again, without taking anything apart or even having the exhaust yet I am only trying to do my due diligence on research to make sure when I get it and I install it, I don't run into issues that would then make me have to order parts and wait.

Thanks,
-Nigel
Old 11-24-20, 08:45 AM
SUNNYRCF
Pit Crew

If you use the OEM gaskets with the Invidia exhaust, I would almost guarantee a CEL and exhaust leak. The OEM gaskets fit into a groove and the Invidia exhaust does not have a groove. The OEM gaskets are crush gaskets that sit in the groove on the catalytic converter flange side. I purchased new OEM gaskets based on a post I read, but did not use them. The gaskets that came with the Invidia are flat and there are different size gaskets for the header and midpipe. I installed the exhaust myself over a year ago and have had no issues with CEL. I love this exhaust. Not too loud, but you know it's a V8.
Invidia Gasket

OEM Gasket
The following users liked this post:
nigel821 (11-25-20)

Quick Reply: DIY Invidia Cat back install complete