RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

DIY Invidia Cat back install complete

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-20, 08:48 AM
SUNNYRCF
Pit Crew

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts

If it wasn't clear in my post above, I used the gaskets that came with the Invidia exhaust. I did do a little clean up where the new gaskets sat against the header side by using a file and wire brush to smooth out where the new gasket would sit. Not sure I needed to do that, but it couldn't hurt.
Old 11-25-20, 04:45 AM
nigel821
Racer

Received 782 Likes on 485 Posts

Appreciate the info!! It's one of those things, I can't understand how there would be conflicting information. Especially from what you just explained, I'm not sure how the OEM gaskets would even work and how people would use them on the exhaust... Good tip on cleaning the surfaces! That was my main concern was simply installing everything then later finding out that I'd have to take everything off again to change gaskets. It's just a PITA. One side question. Did you need to use o2 spacers on the Nvidia exhaust or is there any downfall to doing that? On previous cars I've had, you have to space the rear o2 sensor out once you eliminate that cat because it will throw a CEL eventually. I would imagine that the sensor would pick up that there is no longer cats in the rear since the mid pipe eliminate them?

Thanks again,
-Nigel
Old 11-25-20, 06:14 AM
LoSt180
Advanced

Received 605 Likes on 329 Posts

You don't need spacers if only installing a cat-back. The sensors monitor the primary cats (in the headers) and secondary cats are actually passed the O2 sensors, so no codes from removing those.
The following users liked this post:
nigel821 (11-25-20)
Old 11-25-20, 12:35 PM
SUNNYRCF
Pit Crew

LoSt180 is correct. There is no need for any spacers. Your not doing anything to the primary Cats that are before the O2 sensors. The CEL is caused by an exhaust leak from the gasket.
I really don't understand all the confusion when installing an Invidia exhaust or why some said to use the OEM gaskets. Use the gaskets that come with the kit and make sure where the gasket sits is smooth after removing the OEM exhaust. The picture below is after removing the O2 sensors and OEM exhaust where the new exhaust gaskets sit.

nigel821 (11-26-20)
Old 11-25-20, 05:31 PM
Way2low01
Rookie

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Nigel,

Have you ordered the Invidia exhaust? If so, when do you expect to receive it? I’ve checked with two retailers, both of which are saying the units won’t ship out until late December, early Jan 21 from the manufacturer.

Last edited by Way2low01; 11-25-20 at 05:45 PM.
Old 11-26-20, 05:02 AM
nigel821
Racer

Arrow

I appreciate the pictures! Yea I've done exhausts before on my truck/car... never had issues, ever. I always made sure to clean everything prior to installing gaskets though. I've seen people simply leave the scraped up gasket on and slap another ontop of it and it makes me wonder...lol

On the RCF facebook group seems like they are all adamant about using the OEM gasket from the cat to the mid pipe, then using the Invidia's gaskets from midpipe back. I took some screen shots and whited out their names.

All from different install dates and pictures, I was just screen shotting last night before bed as I was looking to hear more Invidia exhaust sounds. Surprisingly there are a lot of people on FB that have it. Gives a nice view as well, so I am happy to get this when it finally comes in stock!

Way2low01:
That's what I've been told as well. Given that winter is coming and I'm not going to drive the car, I'm cool with that. I'm going to order it from Josh here on the forum. Others have gone through him with no problems and I'd much rather want to deal with someone that is active and you can speak to if there are problems or something is damaged/missing.

Covid is f'ing with everything and I am sure we will see more slowness in shipping... The simple fact that shipping containers now are at a premium and medical supplies and other such items take a priority will mean this is going to affect things for a while... easily.

-Nigel

Old 11-26-20, 07:32 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,504 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Congrats on your order. You will really like it. I am surprised so many of those guys are using OEM gaskets. Not a good idea as the Invidia ones come with proper shape as they are slightly different from OEM gaskets.
Old 11-26-20, 08:54 AM
nigel821
Racer

Arrow

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Congrats on your order. You will really like it. I am surprised so many of those guys are using OEM gaskets. Not a good idea as the Invidia ones come with proper shape as they are slightly different from OEM gaskets.

I know right! That's what is so freaking weird to me. All other exhausts I've ever had or used, I've ALWAYS use the gaskets that come with the exhaust. The exception was the doughnut gasket after the car for my Ranger. The Walker ranger just wasn't great, and since the piping was the same diameter I went with OEM. But just as you said the gaskets are different plus if the piping is a different diameter than stock it really seems weird that all these people are using OEM gaskets after the cat from the headers...?? I would think something wouldn't fit right or be off, simply by the size of the pipe diameter? Super strange to me. I think I went through about 30 posts on FB last night just reading. The screen shots above were just a "snip" of what everyone was saying..lol,

Exhaust isn't ordered yet but when Josh gets them in stock I will be ordering! I can't wait. Seems like it's the perfect one honestly. As much as I love loud. It gets super old after a while.

-Nigel
Old 11-26-20, 09:25 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,504 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Originally Posted by nigel821
Exhaust isn't ordered yet but when Josh gets them in stock I will be ordering! I can't wait. Seems like it's the perfect one honestly. As much as I love loud. It gets super old after a while.

-Nigel
Remember, this is what I thought when I bought it. If you want to go louder, you can always either chop off the resonator on Invidia or put a more high flow resonator, which will gain more loudness. As for myself, after 3 years of ownership, I have had a hard time trying to convince myself as it is perfect the way it came. Volume, pitch, bass and loudness. For one, I am worried it will mess up the balance and secondly, having a very loud exhaust does not suit me being married with two kids etc. For a young single guy, yeah most likely.
nigel821 (11-30-20)
Old 11-27-20, 12:45 PM
SUNNYRCF
Pit Crew

I totally understand your confusion! I did a ton of research when I ordered the Invidia and was very confused on which gaskets to use. I ended up ordering new OEM gaskets and bolts based on the many posts that said to use them, but that was a total waste of time and money. The only thing I can think to explain the posts that say to use the OEM gaskets is if Invidia changed the exhaust at some point.
The OEM exhaust has a groove in it that the OEM gasket sits in. There is NO groove in the Invidia exhaust. It's completely flat where it meets the cat, which is why you need to use a flat gasket that comes with the exhaust. Once you take off the OEM exhaust and gaskets and look at them compared to the Invidia, you'll see what I mean. There is NO way the OEM gaskets would work.
Make sure you have a flat surface at the cat and make sure the gaskets are lined up properly and you'll be good to go.
I really enjoy the sound of the Invidia. It's got an exotic roar, but it's not obnoxious.
Cheers
nigel821 (11-30-20)
Old 10-15-21, 08:28 AM
Blurk19
8th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Question Invidia Q300 Installation

My head is spinning from all the different suggestions on which OEM parts to use or not use. I have ordered mine from Josh but they are out of stock till December or January. I was under the impression that everything I needed (gaskets, bolts/nuts, etc.) came with the kit. Am I really going to have to buy extra parts or special tools to do the installation myself or will I have everything I need in the kit plus my own ratchet set and wrenches? Maybe Josh can chime in. Thanks in advance.

Originally Posted by SUNNYRCF
I totally understand your confusion! I did a ton of research when I ordered the Invidia and was very confused on which gaskets to use. I ended up ordering new OEM gaskets and bolts based on the many posts that said to use them, but that was a total waste of time and money. The only thing I can think to explain the posts that say to use the OEM gaskets is if Invidia changed the exhaust at some point.
The OEM exhaust has a groove in it that the OEM gasket sits in. There is NO groove in the Invidia exhaust. It's completely flat where it meets the cat, which is why you need to use a flat gasket that comes with the exhaust. Once you take off the OEM exhaust and gaskets and look at them compared to the Invidia, you'll see what I mean. There is NO way the OEM gaskets would work.
Make sure you have a flat surface at the cat and make sure the gaskets are lined up properly and you'll be good to go.
I really enjoy the sound of the Invidia. It's got an exotic roar, but it's not obnoxious.
Cheers
Old 10-15-21, 05:40 PM
LoSt180
Advanced

Received 605 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by Blurk19
My head is spinning from all the different suggestions on which OEM parts to use or not use. I have ordered mine from Josh but they are out of stock till December or January. I was under the impression that everything I needed (gaskets, bolts/nuts, etc.) came with the kit. Am I really going to have to buy extra parts or special tools to do the installation myself or will I have everything I need in the kit plus my own ratchet set and wrenches? Maybe Josh can chime in. Thanks in advance.
Only special tool you will need is a O2 sensor socket. I used everything that came with Invidia. Gaskets were fine that came with it. Use the 3" gasket at the front, the 2.75" gasket goes in the middle section. Keep the 3" gasket centered on the flange when tightening everything up.

Using the 2.75" gasket up front and/or not keeping things centered is why people end up with exhaust leaks that trigger check engine lights.
kindica09 (08-04-24)
Old 10-15-21, 05:57 PM
Blurk19
8th Gear

Thumbs up Invidia install

Originally Posted by LoSt180
Only special tool you will need is a O2 sensor socket. I used everything that came with Invidia. Gaskets were fine that came with it. Use the 3" gasket at the front, the 2.75" gasket goes in the middle section. Keep the 3" gasket centered on the flange when tightening everything up.

Using the 2.75" gasket up front and/or not keeping things centered is why people end up with exhaust leaks that trigger check engine lights.
Thank you!
Old 10-16-21, 10:19 AM
nigel821
Racer

I'd say normally you don't need anything special but you do want the o2 sensor socket. I used this one:

https://www.tooltopia.com/Schley-SCH...RoCnjcQAvD_BwE

I also bought OEM toyota/lexus exhaust bolts/nuts however the bolts weren't long enough. I did use the self locking nuts from Toyota/Lexus. They were much better in my opinion than the ones that came with the exhaust. Again probably not needed but anytime I can use an OEM fastener I will.

I also did not use the 3" gaskets provided. I used Grimmspeed's 3" double thickness s/s gasket. It's 12 layers with a fire ring. With those gaskets I used copper exhaust sealant as good measure.
https://www.grimmspeed.com/grimmspee...sket-2x-thick/

Probably slightly over kill but I'd rather not have to keep going under the car and change out gaskets if they blow out or start leaking. Do NOT use OEM gaskets at the mid pipe. I can't for the life of me understand how anyone even gets thoes to work. They are significatly smaller in diamter than the 3" Invidia exhaust so when you put them on it's amazing to me that they wouldn't leak almost immediately because of how little wiggle room one has to make sure they stay centered. There is a video on FaceBook showing this.

Some people have no issues with the OEM gaskets, some people have no issues using Invidia's gaskets, while others get leaks. If I remember correctly SUNNYRCF had his exhaust for almost two years when his CEL happened and when he looked it was a leaking passenger invidia gasket. He ended up using hte 7 layer s/s gasket from grimmspeed, which he stated was about the same thickness as the invidia gasket.
EDIT: Found on Page 3 post 43:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rc-...l#post11116146

Another thing to make sure is that when you remove the o2 sensors you don't have a bunch of twists in the wires. This can easily be mitigated by removing the o2 sensors. There is a thread on where they are located on the vehicle in the cabin. By the driver/passenger foot well next to the bottom console/foot well.

It's not a hard install at all. I had my wife give me a set of extra hands. It's just slightly cumbersome when you are trying to install and align the pipes if you are doing it by yourself. Not impossible by any stretch just easier with another person that can hold something while you are tightening the bolts.

-Nigel
Old 10-16-21, 11:10 AM
Blurk19
8th Gear

Thumbs up Invidia install

Originally Posted by nigel821
I'd say normally you don't need anything special but you do want the o2 sensor socket. I used this one:

https://www.tooltopia.com/Schley-SCH...RoCnjcQAvD_BwE

I also bought OEM toyota/lexus exhaust bolts/nuts however the bolts weren't long enough. I did use the self locking nuts from Toyota/Lexus. They were much better in my opinion than the ones that came with the exhaust. Again probably not needed but anytime I can use an OEM fastener I will.

I also did not use the 3" gaskets provided. I used Grimmspeed's 3" double thickness s/s gasket. It's 12 layers with a fire ring. With those gaskets I used copper exhaust sealant as good measure.
https://www.grimmspeed.com/grimmspee...sket-2x-thick/

Probably slightly over kill but I'd rather not have to keep going under the car and change out gaskets if they blow out or start leaking. Do NOT use OEM gaskets at the mid pipe. I can't for the life of me understand how anyone even gets thoes to work. They are significatly smaller in diamter than the 3" Invidia exhaust so when you put them on it's amazing to me that they wouldn't leak almost immediately because of how little wiggle room one has to make sure they stay centered. There is a video on FaceBook showing this.

Some people have no issues with the OEM gaskets, some people have no issues using Invidia's gaskets, while others get leaks. If I remember correctly SUNNYRCF had his exhaust for almost two years when his CEL happened and when he looked it was a leaking passenger invidia gasket. He ended up using hte 7 layer s/s gasket from grimmspeed, which he stated was about the same thickness as the invidia gasket.
EDIT: Found on Page 3 post 43:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rc-...l#post11116146

Another thing to make sure is that when you remove the o2 sensors you don't have a bunch of twists in the wires. This can easily be mitigated by removing the o2 sensors. There is a thread on where they are located on the vehicle in the cabin. By the driver/passenger foot well next to the bottom console/foot well.

It's not a hard install at all. I had my wife give me a set of extra hands. It's just slightly cumbersome when you are trying to install and align the pipes if you are doing it by yourself. Not impossible by any stretch just easier with another person that can hold something while you are tightening the bolts.

-Nigel
Much appreciated

Quick Reply: DIY Invidia Cat back install complete