RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

what are some small things that bug you about the Lexus RC F?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-19, 01:58 PM
Apone
Pole Position

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Ken34
i use to give this a pass and just told myself to enjoy the car in sport+ , but after driving other lexus cars and seeing just how eager and responsive the transmissions can be in normal mode in their other cars, makes me feel a tad bit envious. i wish we would get an ECU update for the transmission logic, would be nice.
Yup - I was in for a service and got an NX turbo as a loaner. All I could think was imagine the RCF with this level of enthusiasm in the auto. I wonder if they thought it was unsafe to make it more eager given the power levels vs something more docile.
Old 04-10-19, 06:06 PM
Driver

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

Absolute number one thing I dislike is the brake squeal and excessive dust.

Number two is the pickup truck style parking brake. My ex's busted A5 has one standard, the RCF absolutely should include one as well.

Three is the infotainment system (NAV is useless, lack of CarPlay). ML sound is decent, but the interface is trash.
Old 04-10-19, 07:48 PM
RCFCoop
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 46750
Absolute number one thing I dislike is the brake squeal and excessive dust.

Number two is the pickup truck style parking brake. My ex's busted A5 has one standard, the RCF absolutely should include one as well.

Three is the infotainment system (NAV is useless, lack of CarPlay). ML sound is decent, but the interface is trash.
+1 on dust and squeal. "My ex's busted A5 has one standard"
Old 04-12-19, 07:19 PM
Mingofish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 330 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by JT2MA71
Anyone else wish that the shift lever direction was wired so that upshift is to the rear and downshift towards the front? As in a true sequential shifter. I did this re-wire on my IS-F and can't seem to find the wires for the RC-F, wires colors are the same IIRC.
Ron
i vaguely remember Tom’s made a kit that reverses the shift?
Not positive but some Jdm company for sure.
Have your Japan guy look into it?
Old 04-18-19, 01:40 PM
jafsport
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Not having auto-folding mirrors
This^^

$80k and no auto folding mirrors=unacceptable
Old 04-18-19, 05:51 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by SKGT
Do you think #2 is just due it being a 2015? In the market so was just curious. Ever try to fix it? I know rattles can sometimes be impossible to track down.
2015 here with 70k miles and no rattles other than something in the rear headliner area that only rattles under heavy bass.
Old 04-18-19, 09:17 PM
RCFCoop
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by gs400998
Sorry I didn't make it clear. I meant the 'normal', 'Eco', 'Sport' and "Sport+' driving modes. RC F always go back to 'normal' when I restart the car.
Wasn't until I was really low on fuel today, that I used ECO mode. After I shut it off for fueling and turned the car back on it was STILL in ECO mode. So, this is what I am saying, if it can do it for ECO, it should stay in whatever mode you left it in when shutting off.
Old 04-18-19, 10:10 PM
konichiwa3
Intermediate

Received 317 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by RCFCoop
Wasn't until I was really low on fuel today, that I used ECO mode. After I shut it off for fueling and turned the car back on it was STILL in ECO mode. So, this is what I am saying, if it can do it for ECO, it should stay in whatever mode you left it in when shutting off.
It has to do with the official EPA miles per gallon numbers that will be slapped on the window sticker at the showroom. If the car is allowed to re-start in any driving mode that you originally left it in then during the EPA testing the mpg of all these driving modes, sports and sport plus, will have to be factored in resulting in substantially lower MPG numbers.

From a marketing/sales point of view a manufacture would rather have the car setup to start only in the much more gas efficient driving modes so that the official MPG will be higher and appear more favorable and competitive in the market.
Old 04-19-19, 08:03 AM
Brosillo
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by konichiwa3
It has to do with the official EPA miles per gallon numbers that will be slapped on the window sticker at the showroom. If the car is allowed to re-start in any driving mode that you originally left it in then during the EPA testing the mpg of all these driving modes, sports and sport plus, will have to be factored in resulting in substantially lower MPG numbers.

From a marketing/sales point of view a manufacture would rather have the car setup to start only in the much more gas efficient driving modes so that the official MPG will be higher and appear more favorable and competitive in the market.
So that brings up an interesting question: Does the 16 city / 24 hwy mpg rating for the RCF reflect "Normal" mode? Or does that reflect "Eco" mode? I suppose highway would be equivalent because it would be sitting in 8th gear at the same rpms, but city and overall might be different.
Old 04-19-19, 10:29 AM
konichiwa3
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Brosillo
So that brings up an interesting question: Does the 16 city / 24 hwy mpg rating for the RCF reflect "Normal" mode? Or does that reflect "Eco" mode? I suppose highway would be equivalent because it would be sitting in 8th gear at the same rpms, but city and overall might be different.
Most manufacturers will persuasively plead their case that the average of the combined normal and eco data be taken in consideration since the car can start in either mode. However, if the delta is too wide between both modes then eco data could be rejected or normalized statistically.

Hope that solves the mystery why the car is setup so that it will not start in sport or sport + mode.

Cheers.

Last edited by konichiwa3; 04-19-19 at 10:50 AM.
Old 04-19-19, 11:36 AM
Ken34
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by konichiwa3
Most manufacturers will persuasively plead their case that the average of the combined normal and eco data be taken in consideration since the car can start in either mode. However, if the delta is too wide between both modes then eco data could be rejected or normalized statistically.

Hope that solves the mystery why the car is setup so that it will not start in sport or sport + mode.

Cheers.
so basically the car feeling so lazy in normal mode was to avoid the gas guzzler tax? lol
Old 04-19-19, 11:49 AM
konichiwa3
Intermediate

so basically the car feeling so lazy in normal mode was to avoid the gas guzzler tax? lol
Lol.

A very good and plausible point. I didn't even stop to think about that. Lol
Old 04-19-19, 12:07 PM
CAHWY128
Advanced

Received 346 Likes on 228 Posts

I actually like the Eco mode and use it a lot on long drives. You can get some really good mileage, close to 30MPG if you just cruise it on the freeway with Eco mode. Since for me the car is a Grand Tourer good gas mileage is a plus.

My other car is a lifted F150 with an Eco boost and you are lucky to get 15 MPG on the Freeway with the 35 inch Mud terrains, so my RCF doubles as a Prius for me on long drives.

I do agree the lag in normal can be irritating, It is like the car falls asleep and needs a second or two to wake up.
The following users liked this post:
46750 (04-20-19)
Old 04-19-19, 12:12 PM
Ken34
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CAHWY128
I actually like the Eco mode and use it a lot on long drives. You can get some really good mileage, close to 30MPG if you just cruise it on the freeway with Eco mode. Since for me the car is a Grand Tourer good gas mileage is a plus.

My other car is a lifted F150 with an Eco boost and you are lucky to get 15 MPG on the Freeway with the 35 inch Mud terrains, so my RCF doubles as a Prius for me on long drives.

I do agree the lag in normal can be irritating, It is like the car falls asleep and needs a second or two to wake up.
wow, how are you getting close to 30? when i drove back from PA to GA, best i got was like 24.9, in ECO mode doing 85 all the way down.
Old 04-19-19, 12:25 PM
CAHWY128
Advanced

Received 346 Likes on 228 Posts

wow, how are you getting close to 30? when i drove back from PA to GA, best i got was like 24.9, in ECO mode doing 85 all the way down.
I just did it in my head after a fill up on a 320 mile all eco mode drive at 77 MPH set on cruise for the most part and I used 12 gallons IIRC. All flat highway 5 through California.

Quick Reply: what are some small things that bug you about the Lexus RC F?