RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

what are some small things that bug you about the Lexus RC F?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-19, 01:37 PM
Ken34
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CAHWY128
I just did it in my head after a fill up on a 320 mile all eco mode drive at 77 MPH set on cruise for the most part and I used 12 gallons IIRC. All flat highway 5 through California.
that makes sense, computers arent always the most accurate. i was probably getting better numbers than it was displaying then.
Old 04-19-19, 02:16 PM
CAHWY128
Advanced

Received 346 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by Ken34
that makes sense, computers arent always the most accurate. i was probably getting better numbers than it was displaying then.
Next time I do the drive I am going to also check the computer. I always leave and forget to reset it. Then I will do a better comparison. My numbers are not very scientific.
Old 04-19-19, 04:17 PM
Bluecarbon
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Outside of the obvious as many stated, I’d say the turn signals annoy me at times.
Old 04-19-19, 04:27 PM
RCFCoop
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by konichiwa3
Most manufacturers will persuasively plead their case that the average of the combined normal and eco data be taken in consideration since the car can start in either mode. However, if the delta is too wide between both modes then eco data could be rejected or normalized statistically.

Hope that solves the mystery why the car is setup so that it will not start in sport or sport + mode.

Cheers.
Makes sense..still don't like it lol.
Old 04-19-19, 04:57 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,504 Likes on 1,802 Posts

One other thing that is annoying is, just like many things, the VGRS steering is jekyll/hyde (part of it is because of the lack of crisp/sharp feel from the MPSS tires) even in sport+ mode. Under 3500 rpm, it feels vague and numb even with TVD in 'slalom' mode.

However, it gets very sharp, fast and tight once the needle goes past 4000 rpm to redline. You can literally feel the steering tightening up as you are turning and accelerating at the same time. In city driving where revs are always below 3500 rpm, the vague feeling is annoying. Hopefully, switching to stiffer sidewall tires, it will somewhat mitigate the low speed steering characteristics.
Old 04-19-19, 05:01 PM
RCFCoop
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluecarbon
Outside of the obvious as many stated, I’d say the turn signals annoy me at times.
yep, I've driven miles with that thing on because it went past off and on to the opposite side.
Old 04-19-19, 06:45 PM
konichiwa3
Intermediate

Received 317 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
One other thing that is annoying is, just like many things, the VGRS steering is jekyll/hyde (part of it is because of the lack of crisp/sharp feel from the MPSS tires) even in sport+ mode. Under 3500 rpm, it feels vague and numb even with TVD in 'slalom' mode.

However, it gets very sharp, fast and tight once the needle goes past 4000 rpm to redline. You can literally feel the steering tightening up as you are turning and accelerating at the same time. In city driving where revs are always below 3500 rpm, the vague feeling is annoying. Hopefully, switching to stiffer sidewall tires, it will somewhat mitigate the low speed steering characteristics.
You should also consider RR racing Ultimate response steering system lower control arm bushing. That's a must have.

It's a very well thought out product. In addition to the robustness of the whole lower control arm bushing, the cleverly increased caster in it's design will give you a heavier steering feel even at slower speeds.
The following users liked this post:
05RollaXRS (04-19-19)
Old 04-20-19, 05:54 AM
slper
Driver

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

The f'ing gas cap hanger. I have to be the dumbest person on the planet. For the life of me I can't figure out the damn thing.
Old 04-20-19, 07:29 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

You should also consider RR racing Ultimate response steering system lower control arm bushing. That's a must have.

It's a very well thought out product. In addition to the robustness of the whole lower control arm bushing, the cleverly increased caster in it's design will give you a heavier steering feel even at slower speeds.
That is a great mod especially value/dollar wise that is on my radar. Any ideas on Figs vs RR lower control arm bushings? I really like the stock suspension and would not change it at all, but this is the one thing I really want to do since I want to feel everything going on in the road.

I saw the ISF comparison video and it is very compelling especially since I have had ESS polyurethane motor mounts on my Corolla XRS. A bit more vibration, but material is extremely durable over the years as it really helps both traction and mid-corner acceleration as the motor is not bouncing around under varying loads.
Old 04-20-19, 08:30 PM
RCFGrandpa
Intermediate

Received 337 Likes on 156 Posts
Default 2015 RCF Original Owner

1. Seat heaters and cooler, does anybody’s actually work?
2. No Retractable outside mirrors, I am always folding them manually
3. Chrome roof rail and 1/4 glass moldings. These are the only chrome on my car. 2020 models have them black. I am currently in the process of changing my chrome moldings to black. See thread 2020 Black Moldings
After owning my RCF for over 4 years, these are my only gripes.
The following users liked this post:
GunnyFitz (04-24-19)
Old 04-20-19, 10:15 PM
Ken34
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I tried my ventilated seats a couple weeks ago for the first time, just to compare them to the 2019 es I drove, the bottom portion worked fine, but I couldn't feel anything in my back, and I think that is the most important part you would want it at lol.
Old 04-20-19, 10:23 PM
konichiwa3
Intermediate

That is a great mod especially value/dollar wise that is on my radar. Any ideas on Figs vs RR lower control arm bushings? I really like the stock suspension and would not change it at all, but this is the one thing I really want to do since I want to feel everything going on in the road.

I saw the ISF comparison video and it is very compelling especially since I have had ESS polyurethane motor mounts on my Corolla XRS. A bit more vibration, but material is extremely durable over the years as it really helps both traction and mid-corner acceleration as the motor is not bouncing around under varying loads.
RR racing for sure.

2 advantages
  • The huge washer that prevents for and aft movement
  • The custom housing that has the holes oriented in such a way to increase caster which gives more heft to the steering feel at any speed.

I'm assuming we are comparing RR racings to Figs polyurethane bushing LCA.

Figs does have the track duty spherical bearing ones which have zero deflection and caster adjustment capability. I haven't experienced this yet. Ming has them and even coming from RR racing LCA said was the best bang for the buck mod he has made. Some may say they could be an overkill for street use only though.

I would be curious to find out from Ming if he used the optional spacers in the FIGS track duty LCA to increase caster.
Old 04-20-19, 10:35 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks. Yes, I saw both videos of RR and the SuperPro/Figs (blue one) and definitely there was deflection in the SuperPro, but none in the RR racing. Some people I had read, were complaining about a noise. Did you have ever have any experience like that? Is it because they might not have lubed it correctly? Also, how easy is it to install on the RCF (I will get it installed by a shop, but still curious)? Also, is it pretty safe over the long term as I am wondering if it puts more stress on some other components?

I drive with my senses and it is the most important part for me. Sound, response at throttle, chassis and hands etc. all are huge deal to me. I get a lot of feel when the car is revving over 4000+ rpm especially over roughly pavements, but below it, the chassis/rear end might transmit what is going on, but the steering is completely numb so this will hopefully address my gripe.

RR racing for sure.

2 advantages
  • The huge washer that prevents for and aft movement
  • The custom housing that has the holes oriented in such a way to increase caster which gives more heft to the steering feel at any speed.

I'm assuming we are comparing RR racings to Figs polyurethane bushing LCA.

Figs does have the track duty spherical bearing ones which have zero deflection and caster adjustment capability. I haven't experienced this yet. Ming has them and even coming from RR racing LCA said was the best bang for the buck mod he has made. Some may say they could be an overkill for street use only though.

I would be curious to find out from Ming if he used the optional spacers in the FIGS track duty LCA to increase caster.
Old 04-21-19, 12:17 AM
konichiwa3
Intermediate

Thanks. Yes, I saw both videos of RR and the SuperPro/Figs (blue one) and definitely there was deflection in the SuperPro, but none in the RR racing. Some people I had read, were complaining about a noise. Did you have ever have any experience like that? Is it because they might not have lubed it correctly? Also, how easy is it to install on the RCF (I will get it installed by a shop, but still curious)? Also, is it pretty safe over the long term as I am wondering if it puts more stress on some other components?

I drive with my senses and it is the most important part for me. Sound, response at throttle, chassis and hands etc. all are huge deal to me. I get a lot of feel when the car is revving over 4000+ rpm especially over roughly pavements, but below it, the chassis/rear end might transmit what is going on, but the steering is completely numb so this will hopefully address my gripe.
I have had mine 2 years now. Initially before I purchased I was also concerned by people mentioning noise but so far zero noise. Now, this could be weather related. I live in Cali where temperatures are fairly warm year round. I would imagine in cold weather the properties of the polyurethane could change slightly plus the resultant increased viscosity in the lube could potentially lead to noise.

Installation is super easy. You will be in and out of the shop in no time.

As for long term stress on other components I would have to defer to RR racing, I'm sure they took all factors into consideration. They do track test their products and put them through quite a beating. Also seeing how meticulous they were when they designed the penske coilover components ensuring the RCF rear shock towers could take the extra stress without structural deformity or cracks impressed on me and I would imagine they follow through with the same approach when designing the LCA bushing.

The LCA bushings and a set of Michelins PS4S and you will be a happy camper.

Last edited by konichiwa3; 04-21-19 at 12:28 AM.
Old 04-21-19, 12:33 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah, I am beyond happy with the Invidia full catback exhaust. Turned out so much better than I could expect. It should have been stock like this.

Now, I am thinking about my next steps. MPS4S (RCF-Spec) and the LCA are my two next things. I read in a review the RCF-Spec MPS4S tires are a bit stiffer than the standard MPS4S tires. Interestingly, Lexus put stiffer LCA on the 2020 RCF/track edition. Polyurethane does get hard in the cold as my daily driver has ESS motor mounts and has more vibrations, but actually helps driving through snow as the motor does not jitter so the weight over FWD driving through snow.

p.s. My RCF is only my spring/summer car so I am not concerned about cold weather.

I have had mine 2 years now. Initially before I purchased I was also concerned by people mentioning noise but so far zero noise. Now, this could be weather related. I live in Cali where temperatures are fairly warm year round. I would imagine in cold weather the properties of the polyurethane could change slightly plus the increased viscosity in the lube could potentially lead to noise.

Installation is super easy. You will be in and out of the shop in no time.

As for long term stress on other components I would have to defer to RR racing, I'm sure they took all factors into consideration. They do track test their products and put them through quite a beating. Also seeing how meticulous they were when they designed the penske coilover components ensuring the RCF rear shock towers could take the extra stress without structural deformity or cracks impressed on me and I would imagine they follow through with the same approach when designing the LCA bushing.

The LCA bushings and a set of Michelins PS4S and you will be a happy camper.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 04-21-19 at 12:37 AM.

Quick Reply: what are some small things that bug you about the Lexus RC F?