RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Wheel cleaning / protecting.

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-19, 12:41 PM
Sit
Rookie

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Wheel cleaning / protecting.

Our wheels can really get loaded with brake dust. Do any of you remove the wheels and thoroughly clean the inside of them? It seems like it should be done at least yearly.

Do you have a favorite wheel protective coating? I got some chemical guys WHEEL GUARD MAX COAT WHEEL AND RIM SEALANT but don't have much history with using the product. Time will tell.
Old 04-10-19, 01:18 PM
OURISF
Driver

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Sit
Our wheels can really get loaded with brake dust. Do any of you remove the wheels and thoroughly clean the inside of them? It seems like it should be done at least yearly.

Do you have a favorite wheel protective coating? I got some chemical guys WHEEL GUARD MAX COAT WHEEL AND RIM SEALANT but don't have much history with using the product. Time will tell.
And to add...the stock wheels are a PITA to clean with all the spokes.

I had my wheels and calipers treated with Ceramic Pro 9H. It is supposed to help reduce the brakes dust by making it more difficult for the dust to stick to the wheel but with as much brake dust as our cars create it still gets fairly dirty.
However, it does making wiping them off with some instant detail and a micro fiber towel very easy...brake dust wipes right off. Well that is my approach.

To the OP's other point...since it is difficult to get to the front calipers and the barrel of the wheel, I have taken mine off and cleaned the wheel, caliper and inside of the wheel well once over the last 4 months of ownership.

Man I am ****
Old 04-10-19, 03:57 PM
Apone
Pole Position

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

I use a pressure washer, help alleviate my anger at all the dust. I used to do it by hand with a wheel woolie set but it takes forever.
Old 04-10-19, 04:28 PM
Sit
Rookie

Originally Posted by OURISF
And to add...the stock wheels are a PITA to clean with all the spokes.

I had my wheels and calipers treated with Ceramic Pro 9H. It is supposed to help reduce the brakes dust by making it more difficult for the dust to stick to the wheel but with as much brake dust as our cars create it still gets fairly dirty.
However, it does making wiping them off with some instant detail and a micro fiber towel very easy...brake dust wipes right off. Well that is my approach.

To the OP's other point...since it is difficult to get to the front calipers and the barrel of the wheel, I have taken mine off and cleaned the wheel, caliper and inside of the wheel well once over the last 4 months of ownership.

Man I am ****
Originally Posted by Apone
I use a pressure washer, help alleviate my anger at all the dust. I used to do it by hand with a wheel woolie set but it takes forever.
I use a pressure washer now but haven't removed a wheel. I'm kind of thinking to protect the surface for stick on weights down the road. Maybe pressure washing / good cleaning and put some good coating, like Ceramic Pro 9H, on it.

Last edited by Sit; 04-10-19 at 04:29 PM. Reason: spelling.
Old 04-10-19, 06:00 PM
Driver

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

I've used Max Coat in the past and recently applied it to the wheels on my RC-F when they were recently removed for powdercoating. Since I had access, I also applied to the calipers as well. I don't think it's an amazing product, but it seemed to work initially for at least a few months as far as providing a layer of protection and helping to make removal of the mass quantities of brake dust a little easier.
Old 04-11-19, 03:22 AM
2Insane
Driver

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

Here are a couple things I've done to make cleaning so much easier. 1. OEM brake pads are a nightmare in brake dust. I'm using Endless pads and it's a massive difference. 2. Ceramic coated my rims. 3. Adam's Polishing has an awesome wheel cleaner and barrel brush; highly recommended it.

https://adamspolishes.com/shop/exter...el-woolie.html
Old 04-11-19, 07:53 AM
Sit
Rookie

Max Coat appears to have wax longevity, a few months at best.

I'll have to look into Endless pads. I don't track my RC F, and the OEM pads do squeal now and then. My dealer did say they will apply the brake pad TSB when I am ready. I've been reading about ceramic coating and that sounds very interesting, especially for the inside of the wheels where it is difficult to get too. I do have some good brushes to get in there, I'll check out Adams wheel cleaner.

Thanks!!!

Originally Posted by 46750
I've used Max Coat in the past and recently applied it to the wheels on my RC-F when they were recently removed for powdercoating. Since I had access, I also applied to the calipers as well. I don't think it's an amazing product, but it seemed to work initially for at least a few months as far as providing a layer of protection and helping to make removal of the mass quantities of brake dust a little easier.
Originally Posted by 2Insane
Here are a couple things I've done to make cleaning so much easier. 1. OEM brake pads are a nightmare in brake dust. I'm using Endless pads and it's a massive difference. 2. Ceramic coated my rims. 3. Adam's Polishing has an awesome wheel cleaner and barrel brush; highly recommended it.

https://adamspolishes.com/shop/exter...el-woolie.html
Old 04-11-19, 10:46 AM
moahdriven
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

I always wax the wheels whenever waxing the car. Makes cleanup easier, but damn does that **** take a while with all the effing spokes
The following users liked this post:
46750 (04-11-19)