RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Diagnostic Health Checks

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-19, 11:45 AM
bob67
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Diagnostic Health Checks

Needed my Lexus dealership to paint over a little scrape on my rear fender. Was just a very minor cosmetic fix, and easy to do. If I had the right paint, I could of done it myself. But here's; what bugs me... On the bill, there's a "Performed pre-diagnostic health check", which costs $75 bucks. Then another line underneath it, stating ""Performed post-diagnostic health check" which cost me another $75. What??? I just wanted a little paint on a fender, nothing was wrong with the car, and there was no request to perform any other work, other than to fix this minor "scuff" on the fender. Anyone else get these "diagnostic Health checks" performed on their cars as an automatic non requested charge? Very happy with the dealership, and assume this is a Lexus corporate charge idea, and not something my dealership invented for some extra money for themselves.

Another thing added to the bill... A "rear bumper applique" which costs me $75, and the related charge of $59, to put it on. Have no idea why this was added, and can't see even determine what the hell it is, though I assume it some kind of plastic protective cover over the rear bumper.

Feel like I got screwed... Or should I expect unexpected items, (like these),to be added on, without prior notice, from Lexus dealerships?
Old 04-12-19, 12:36 PM
gobrowns33
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

They should not be adding/installing anything without your approval. I would question those charges. Not sure what the diagnostics are, but would definitely not pay those if you didn't ask for "health checks".
Old 04-12-19, 12:46 PM
CK9887
Pole Position

Received 57 Likes on 28 Posts

Typically, the "pre" and "post" diag check is needed anytime a body panel, bumper, sensor, etc. is either removed or replaced. This will throw a fault code and will need a reset or re-calibration, depending which sensor it is. The pre scan is to determine if there are any faults present before they begin any work, thus removing any liability as the fault code was already present when you brought the vehicle in. The post scan will clear any faults if the issue has been corrected or it was something as simple as clearing the stored fault code in the ecu.

If all they did was touch up a small part of the fender with touch up paint and did not remove any panels, a "pre" and "post" scan definitely wasn't necessary.
That being said, a lot of shops now have policies making "pre" and "post" scans mandatory on every car that rolls through the shop. It's done from a liability standpoint. They want the documentation that faults were present before they worked on the vehicle, the "pre" scan gives them documentation of this.

Last edited by CK9887; 04-12-19 at 12:49 PM.
Old 04-12-19, 01:14 PM
OldManRCF
Driver

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

just to add, this is the rear bumper applique, did yours need replacing and/or did they add one?

https://www.discountpartsmonster.com...SABEgK8yPD_BwE
Old 04-13-19, 07:10 AM
bob67
Intermediate

Originally Posted by CK9887
Typically, the "pre" and "post" diag check is needed anytime a body panel, bumper, sensor, etc. is either removed or replaced. This will throw a fault code and will need a reset or re-calibration, depending which sensor it is. The pre scan is to determine if there are any faults present before they begin any work, thus removing any liability as the fault code was already present when you brought the vehicle in. The post scan will clear any faults if the issue has been corrected or it was something as simple as clearing the stored fault code in the ecu.

If all they did was touch up a small part of the fender with touch up paint and did not remove any panels, a "pre" and "post" scan definitely wasn't necessary.
That being said, a lot of shops now have policies making "pre" and "post" scans mandatory on every car that rolls through the shop. It's done from a liability standpoint. They want the documentation that faults were present before they worked on the vehicle, the "pre" scan gives them documentation of this.
Don't see why a small paint touch-up requred diagnostic check-ups for removing liability from the dealer. No panels removed, just a small area of paint sprayed on the rear corner panel. All I wanted was a good paint job to hide a scuff mark. Could see why check-up would be necessary if panels were removed, or body parts were damaged. Seemed to me like the dealership just wanted to make an extra $150 for doing nothing.
Old 04-13-19, 07:21 AM
bob67
Intermediate

Originally Posted by OldManRCF
just to add, this is the rear bumper applique, did yours need replacing and/or did they add one?

https://www.discountpartsmonster.com...SABEgK8yPD_BwE
I did not have one, and did not ask for one. So in addition to the $150 dollars the dealership charged for non necessary diagnostic checks, they added this rear bumper applique that cost me $75, and also charged me $59 to put it on!

My perspective on this is that my dealership charged me an extra $500 bucks for stuff not needed. Heck, the insurance company only gave me $250 for someone to paint over this minor scuff mark, and the dealership, for this paint job alone, charged me $900 for labor, and $81 for paint!
Old 04-13-19, 08:08 AM
SoSlow
Pole Position

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by bob67
I did not have one, and did not ask for one. So in addition to the $150 dollars the dealership charged for non necessary diagnostic checks, they added this rear bumper applique that cost me $75, and also charged me $59 to put it on!

My perspective on this is that my dealership charged me an extra $500 bucks for stuff not needed. Heck, the insurance company only gave me $250 for someone to paint over this minor scuff mark, and the dealership, for this paint job alone, charged me $900 for labor, and $81 for paint!
Did you have the work quoted prior to giving them the job? Those charges seem way in excess. I had my entire hood repainted for $675. Did you question them when you saw the bill. I imagine you had to sign off on it when you paid. I'm not shocked they charged $130 for the bumper sticker, but since you didn't ask, there is no way I would have paid for it.
Old 04-13-19, 01:36 PM
bob67
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SoSlow
Did you have the work quoted prior to giving them the job? Those charges seem way in excess. I had my entire hood repainted for $675. Did you question them when you saw the bill. I imagine you had to sign off on it when you paid. I'm not shocked they charged $130 for the bumper sticker, but since you didn't ask, there is no way I would have paid for it.
Wife paid. Did not see the bill until car was back home. Next time....
Old 04-15-19, 06:02 AM
BlueRCF10
Intermediate

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts

Call and speak to the Service Manager. Not sure about the pre/post stuff but if you never wanted the rear bumper applique put on then I'm not sure why they installed that for you.
Old 04-15-19, 07:41 AM
bob67
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BlueRCF10
Call and speak to the Service Manager. Not sure about the pre/post stuff but if you never wanted the rear bumper applique put on then I'm not sure why they installed that for you.
Yea, we are going to have a "talk".