RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

RCF brakes squeek

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-19, 06:15 AM
jafsport
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

For those who did the dealer TSB street pads did the squeak completely stop?

if not i'm thinking of just keeping the pads I got due to the performance and eventually get the endless pads.
Old 04-18-19, 06:16 AM
jafsport
Driver

very helpful links. Thank you.
Old 04-18-19, 06:33 AM
Ken34
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jafsport
For those who did the dealer TSB street pads did the squeak completely stop?

if not i'm thinking of just keeping the pads I got due to the performance and eventually get the endless pads.
yup, completely gone. but if you want to keep the original for performance, and the sound bothers you, you can just drive with the windows up and speakers loud lol.
Old 04-18-19, 06:55 AM
jafsport
Driver

Lol def love the sound of the car. ive had many V8s in the past including my favorites e92 M3 and S550 mustang GT and RCF is def up there.
Old 04-18-19, 12:32 PM
flypinoy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry for this newb question but what's a tsb? My service consultant keeps telling me that it's normal but there's no way s 24/7 squealing brake is normal. Thanks!
Old 04-18-19, 12:39 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by konichiwa3
At the end of the day one cannot defy the laws of physics. If your brake pads are hardly producing any dust and little to no brake squeal it is unequivocally speaking a compromised brake pad.

The MX72 are actually totally inadequate for an RCF. They are designed for light to medium weight cars, we all agree RCF's are no Floyd Mayweather. At the very least if you going with Endless you need M22. Lexus engineers recognized this fact and that's why they use a no compromise brake pad compound.

You have promoters hyping MX72 because they see a market for it as long as people squeal about their noisy brake pads.

Winmax W3; Hawk Hp plus and greater; RB XT's are good alternatives but again there will be noise and dust.

Pick your poison, it's the reality.

Caveat; I'm speaking to performance driven individuals. If all you use your RCF for grocery shopping trips and driving the grand kids to Sunday School then all I have stated is moot.

Cheers

WinmacN0
What people think is brake dust that is sticking to their rims on the RC F is actually mostly rotor dust. The stock pads wear slower than the rotors do based on volume.

Since everyone states that the MX72 pads wear out faster than the stock pads one can safely assume the pads are not wearing the rotors as bad and that's likely why the appearance of dust is minimal. Iron likely sticks better than the pad material.

There are even products made specifically to remove iron from your paint for detailing. CQuartz has a product called Iron-X that is used before applying their ceramic coating.

As you say, you can't defeat the laws of physics. So which is better? Rotors wearing faster or pads wearing faster? Can you prove it one way or the other with physics? Would you rather take the word of people that have tracked their cars using both pads?

I frequently speed over the century mark and have hit the speed limiter more time than I can count. I have noticed very little difference between the pads. Certainly not enough difference to matter to anyone that doesn't track their car. Those that do track their car will probably want track pads (and rotors) anyway, not dual purpose pads on stock rotors.

The MX72 pads seem to feel just a little softer while braking. But they still stop the car and the fade doesn't feel any worse than the stock pads.
Old 04-18-19, 01:08 PM
OldManRCF
Driver

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

TSB = Technical Service Bulletin / basically an email from corporate stating that if owners complain about ____, remedy the situation with ____.

I have the replacement TSB pads and the squeak is no more. The most noticeable difference with the TSB pads is initial bite. That's how it goes though, want less dust and no squeal? you get less initial bite and less stopping power at high speeds. It's a give and take.
Old 04-18-19, 01:23 PM
jafsport
Driver

Originally Posted by OldManRCF
TSB = Technical Service Bulletin / basically an email from corporate stating that if owners complain about ____, remedy the situation with ____.

I have the replacement TSB pads and the squeak is no more. The most noticeable difference with the TSB pads is initial bite. That's how it goes though, want less dust and no squeal? you get less initial bite and less stopping power at high speeds. It's a give and take.
Are the brakes worth it though? brand new this car is almost $80k and for that price I be hesitant to put some random Toyota pads on it. Thoughts?
Old 04-18-19, 03:35 PM
Ken34
Driver School Candidate

Are the brakes worth it though? brand new this car is almost $80k and for that price I be hesitant to put some random Toyota pads on it. Thoughts?
i mean they're OEM Pads that Lexus charges $1200 dollars for, while you lose the initial bite you had with the original pads, its not like they are crap for daily driving. it seems like losing the performance concerns you, if that is the case, just live with the squeal. you dont have to do the TSB, there is no safety risks to sticking with the original pads, personally for me, i just grew up driving never liking to hear that sound every time i brake in a car, so for me personally, it was like, i might as well do it, fresh brand new pads for free on our cars, ill take it lol.
Old 04-18-19, 04:37 PM
jafsport
Driver

Originally Posted by Ken34
i mean they're OEM Pads that Lexus charges $1200 dollars for, while you lose the initial bite you had with the original pads, its not like they are crap for daily driving. it seems like losing the performance concerns you, if that is the case, just live with the squeal. you dont have to do the TSB, there is no safety risks to sticking with the original pads, personally for me, i just grew up driving never liking to hear that sound every time i brake in a car, so for me personally, it was like, i might as well do it, fresh brand new pads for free on our cars, ill take it lol.
true! So this tsb is valid for the 2015 rcf? It would suck if its no longer covered on the 1st gen.

car has 26k miles
Old 04-18-19, 04:43 PM
Ken34
Driver School Candidate

true! So this tsb is valid for the 2015 rcf? It would suck if its no longer covered on the 1st gen.

car has 26k miles
mine is a 2015, had it done last week.
The following users liked this post:
adidascan (04-18-19)
Old 04-18-19, 04:48 PM
jafsport
Driver

mine is a 2015, had it done last week.
thank you sir i will get it done this weekend. Did they give you a loaner car? Or was it quick hr?
Old 04-18-19, 05:38 PM
Ken34
Driver School Candidate

thank you sir i will get it done this weekend. Did they give you a loaner car? Or was it quick hr?
got a free loaner, they had to overnight ship my pads since they didnt have it in stock.
Old 04-19-19, 06:46 AM
jafsport
Driver

got a free loaner, they had to overnight ship my pads since they didnt have it in stock.
Sweet I will take care of it this weekend. Thanks.
Old 04-19-19, 07:14 AM
OldManRCF
Driver

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

The tsb pads are still brembo pads, definitely not run of the mill pads they are just not as aggressive of a compound. Under normal driving conditions you won’t notice much difference after a few days, excluding the initial bite. Good luck

Quick Reply: RCF brakes squeek