RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

RCF brakes squeek

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-19, 07:23 AM
jafsport
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by OldManRCF
The tsb pads are still brembo pads, definitely not run of the mill pads they are just not as aggressive of a compound. Under normal driving conditions you won’t notice much difference after a few days, excluding the initial bite. Good luck
Thanks. Heres another question. Will the dealer give you your old pads back once they replace them? I rather keep the old ones since they got plenty of life on them rather than having them tossed.
Old 04-19-19, 09:42 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,904 Likes on 1,342 Posts

^^^^In a word - NO! In order for the dealer to be reimbursed by Lexus the old pads need to be returned to Lexus Corp. This is done to prevent folks from gaming the system.

Lou
Old 04-21-19, 12:13 PM
Koreatown
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just replaced the pads a month ago and the sound just came back I think it’s because the rotors were used and they just inserted a new pad. The sound will eventually come back. Is there anyway I can ask my service advisor about this and have them help?

it would squeal when slowly breaking from 20-0mph
Old 04-21-19, 01:16 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,904 Likes on 1,342 Posts

^^^^What kind of pads did your service provider install? Was grease used in the installation?

Have you tried to bed-in your new pads? Used or new rotors doesn't matter as long the your rotors were above the minimum thickness spec. But, it's important to get a layer of pad material on the rotor.

Lou
Old 04-21-19, 03:34 PM
konichiwa3
Intermediate

Received 315 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Davew77
What people think is brake dust that is sticking to their rims on the RC F is actually mostly rotor dust. The stock pads wear slower than the rotors do based on volume.
Correct and I couldn't have stated it any better when you base this on volume of material.

Since everyone states that the MX72 pads wear out faster than the stock pads one can safely assume the pads are not wearing the rotors as bad and that's likely why the appearance of dust is minimal. Iron likely sticks better than the pad material.

The MX72 pads seem to feel just a little softer while braking. But they still stop the car and the fade doesn't feel any worse than the stock pads.
Clear evidence MX72 rely heavily on adhesion forces rather than abrasion to create braking force. The brake pad is purposely designed to constantly shed and adhere it's own material on to the rotors creating braking forces between the deposited material on the rotor and the brake pad itself. This is how brake dust is reduced.

Drawbacks of pads that rely heavily on adhesion; too much heat and braking efficiency drops faster as most of the adhered material struggles to handle the extra energy; a softer feel which impacts modulation.

MX72 are also using a higher content of ceramic than metal to mitigate noise, one major reason they are pretty expensive. However, don't confuse high price with performance.

Given what Endless were trying to acheive with the MX72 this is a very well executed product. All in all though, noise and dust reduction took precedence over performance. Noise reduction and performance are mutually exclusive, they cannot occur in the same space. There is a "give and take" as OldManRCF stated elsewhere on this post.

I frequently speed over the century mark and have hit the speed limiter more time than I can count. I have noticed very little difference between the pads. Certainly not enough difference to matter to anyone that doesn't track their car. Those that do track their car will probably want track pads (and rotors) anyway, not dual purpose pads on stock rotors.

The MX72 pads seem to feel just a little softer while braking. But they still stop the car and the fade doesn't feel any worse than the stock pads.

A higher friction compound utilizing more of abrasion rather than adhesion forces will give you the ability to brake a lot later and deeper with less brake pedal pressure and sweeter modulation, inspiring more confidence with spirited driving.

As you say, you can't defeat the laws of physics. So which is better? Rotors wearing faster or pads wearing faster? Can you prove it one way or the other with physics?
Good reason why it's usually important to get a brake package such as what "Racing Brake" or "RR Racing" would offer since they will have Rotors that have hardened surfaces to cope better with the more abrasive higher friction brake pads.

As for Lexus OEM the original pads will definitely be harsher on the rotors than the TSB ones. Each individual has to make their own decision on whether they are willing to again sacrifice performance for rotor life.

Would you rather take the word of people that have tracked their cars using both pads?

I frequently speed over the century mark and have hit the speed limiter more time than I can count. I have noticed very little difference between the pads. Certainly not enough difference to matter to anyone that doesn't track their car.

But they still stop the car and the fade doesn't feel any worse than the stock pads.

Without a stopwatch and high levels of controls put into place this is purely subjective and could easily be prone to confirmation bias.

On the other hand armed with a firm grasp of the physics and mechanics of braking and deductive reasoning one can come to conclusions that are closer to reality in the absence of measurement.

Davew77,your points of view are greatly appreciated and thank you, it has lent to a much more robust discussion.

Last edited by konichiwa3; 04-21-19 at 04:13 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Apone (04-21-19)
Old 04-21-19, 10:23 PM
sensai
Advanced

Received 657 Likes on 227 Posts

I'm going to keep the little squeak for the bite. I hardly hear it so yeah...
Old 04-21-19, 11:44 PM
Driver

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

Very interesting discussion here...

I'm torn on this issue, but if I am being honest with myself, I don't track the car and I spend way more time, money, and energy trying to keep my car and it's damn 20 spoke wheels clean (the plight of being a detailer). I get on it from time to time, but never enough where I've ever remotely been worried about the brakes experiencing any fade.

So, if I'm going to spend the money, I'd love to hear opinions on which pad offers the following two characteristics:

1.) Lowest brake/rotor dust
2.) Least decrease in performance (or any improvement?)
Old 04-22-19, 03:55 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Just for reference, over the weekend I was playing on the highway with someone. Doing some accelerating and braking in traffic conditions. So my brakes were certainly warm. I had to nearly lock them up at 140 mph because someone jumped out in front of me.

I can't see how anyone could possibly need more braking power than that on the street. I don't believe the MX72 pads are much different than the OEM pads in regards to braking power. I don't really care what people believe. These pads are fine for me. They perform like I want and I get very little dust and squeaks from them. I will continue using them.

It doesn't matter to me what people believe. If they believe they really need the OEM pads and they want to deal with the side effects, that is their call. Driver confidence is important. I'm much happier with my RC F now after 3 years of ownership. If people want to buy into the concept that living with dust and squeaks is part of owning a performance car, more power to them.