RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Looking at moving to a RCF

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-19 | 08:06 AM
topguy573
Driver

Default Looking at moving to a RCF

First time posting in the RCF section. I currently drive a 13ISF and am really considering moving to the RCF platform. Can you all give me some tips on what to look for in this car. Looking for ride quality as the main feature, my isf isn't as bad as my 08 was, but it still seems like it is lacking a bit as far as smoothness. I know it won't be as comfortable as a GS or an LS, but i'm hoping the RCF chews up the pavement better then the ISF i currently have.
Old 05-07-19 | 08:27 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Ride quality is pretty decent especially with the stock tires that were softer version of MPSS. Lexus put more stiffer/responsive tires on the '20 RCF. My wife really likes the smoothness and the seats are amazing. Only on really bad roads, you feel the chassis rigidity/suspension stiffness, but drives very smoothly on 90% of the roads in my city. If you can find 2017 and up RCF then the adaptive variable suspension makes the car softer in non-sport+ modes.

I would highly recommend TVD/Carbon fiber, if you can find one as they are rare. Triple LED headlights is another great option. My car has ML stereo, but I never use it LOL Cross traffic alerts is also a great feature. Never used my radar cruise control as it is my driving enjoyment car. I believe leather seats is also optional in the US so leather seat surfaces are also highly recommended. It is easy to tell by looking for stitching in the middle of the seat. The recall work on high pressure fuel pump must be done as well.
The following users liked this post:
topguy573 (05-07-19)
Old 05-07-19 | 09:11 AM
topguy573
Driver

thank you for the recall recomendation as well as the tips for the packages to look for. I can't swing buying a new one, but i'm looking in the 16 and 17 model years.
Old 05-07-19 | 09:31 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by topguy573
thank you for the recall recomendation as well as the tips for the packages to look for. I can't swing buying a new one, but i'm looking in the 16 and 17 model years.
Mine has the heated/cooled seats with the heated steering, but I have never used those. I never felt the need for using those. Look for low mile one's so that there is still good enough life left in the brakes, tires etc. '17s would be better since you get the adaptive suspension so you can soften it up when you like (I believe, sport+ gives full stiffness). 2018 and up also have the updated infotainment with the 10 inch screen.
Old 05-07-19 | 10:38 AM
CAHWY128
Advanced

One thing that the car is criticized for is the weight. I think the weight makes it ride better. The extremely stiff chassis coupled with the weight makes rougher sections of road pretty comfortable while still being a able to drive like a performance car.

An example, I also own a 2006 Miata GT with the factory Bilstein suspension. It has a much softer ride than the RCF. The car is very light. You would think softer suspension and lighter car would mean a better ride. Yet drive the Miata over a rough section of road and it feels like driving a ping pong ball. The car beats you up.

Drive the section with the RCF and yes you feel the stiff suspension but the weight and suspension design gives you a smoother more precise drive with a superior ride quality. Just feels solid and stable. I am running Michelin PS4 tires also and this helps, I think Lexus did a fantastic job of blending ride quality with Performance. The car held it's own on the track against an M4 with ceramic brakes and I am sure a much stiffer ride in the Motortrend test. I feel the RCF is under appreciated as car that has amazing ride quality and comfort and then goes out and holds it's own against a lighter faster BMW M4. If anything BMW should have been embarrassed that the "heavy" Lexus could hang with the more track focused M4. Even Motortrend was surprised.
The following 2 users liked this post by CAHWY128:
konichiwa3 (05-07-19), topguy573 (05-07-19)
Old 05-07-19 | 01:27 PM
topguy573
Driver

asking a stupid question, but has anyone adapted a pre 18 rcf to have the larger infotainment screen?
Old 05-07-19 | 03:12 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

asking a stupid question, but has anyone adapted a pre 18 rcf to have the larger infotainment screen?
Never seen that. I think it is too costly and not an easy swap. It would probably be better to put the extra money and buy a 2018.
The following users liked this post:
GunnyFitz (05-09-19)
Old 05-09-19 | 05:40 AM
Blze001
Driver

If I'm perfectly honest, I don't use the screen much anyway. I have my phone mount up there instead. The A/C is on the center console, and I can bring up audio info on the gauge console with the steering wheel controls, 90% of the time that's all I need. The infotainment system doesn't really have a ton of useful stuff compared to modern ones, in typical Toyota "we lag behind in tech because we use what works" fashion.

I occasionally use the map, but if I'm in an unfamiliar area I have Waze on my phone anyway.
Old 05-09-19 | 09:36 AM
Apone
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Blze001
If I'm perfectly honest, I don't use the screen much anyway. I have my phone mount up there instead. The A/C is on the center console, and I can bring up audio info on the gauge console with the steering wheel controls, 90% of the time that's all I need. The infotainment system doesn't really have a ton of useful stuff compared to modern ones, in typical Toyota "we lag behind in tech because we use what works" fashion.

I occasionally use the map, but if I'm in an unfamiliar area I have Waze on my phone anyway.
This. Not useful compared to whats on my phone and I have not put enough time into the beatsonic options or similar to mirror it. Annoys me everytime I get in it though. Just drive faster and forget all about it...
Old 05-09-19 | 11:21 AM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Cool DItto

This was exactly what I contemplated when I bought mine. Purchase a 2017 at a wickedly cheap price vs. wait an entire year for the 2018s to drop in price just to get a bigger Nav Screen. Obviously, I decided to jump into a 17 since the little difference in Screens makes no true difference overall. IMHO - don't even figure that into your decision making process. As stated here from other Members, most of us all use some other form of Navigation or Music than what comes in the F. Heck, I even dropped my Enform since I rarely use its features due to it being a 2nd vehicle that sleeps all winter like my pal Rolla here.

Other than the issue I had with 20" Wheels I went with (And now have for Sale) I regret nothing whatsoever buying a 2017 - Period!
Old 05-09-19 | 02:12 PM
theman
Pole Position

I went with a 2015 last year with really low miles... same here on the screen usage, wouldn't make a bit of difference to me, and saved me $40k over buying a new one spec'd exactly the same. If you hunt real well you can find the gems, and lexi aren't usually beat on too bad anyway. I went a few states away for the one I wanted at the right price, but timed it with a trip that direction anyway.