RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Fender liner replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-19, 06:51 AM
jafsport
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Fender liner replacement

So my front passenger fender liner completely ripped off by the tire on the highway. I took it into Lexus and they are estimating $300 for the part and labor. Has anyone had any experience with this issue? car is only 3 years old and i wasn't expecting this to happen already.

Is it worth spending the money to have it fixed? im just wondering if there are any important parts behind the shield that needs to be protected.

Car is still under warranty btw but does not cover.

Thanks for the input.
Old 05-22-19, 07:29 AM
OldManRCF
Driver

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

i've never had issues with it ripping off while driving, but i replaced a corner on my old car and it's fairly straight forward. The liner is held in with clips and possibly 1-2 screws. You can buy the clips in mass on Amazon for cheap. Jack the corner up, take off the wheel and put the puzzle together / line up the holes and insert the plastic clips. Might take you an hour start to finish.
Old 05-22-19, 07:52 AM
jafsport
Driver

Originally Posted by OldManRCF
i've never had issues with it ripping off while driving, but i replaced a corner on my old car and it's fairly straight forward. The liner is held in with clips and possibly 1-2 screws. You can buy the clips in mass on Amazon for cheap. Jack the corner up, take off the wheel and put the puzzle together / line up the holes and insert the plastic clips. Might take you an hour start to finish.
Thanks for your input. Yea im finding the piece online for $130 might just have to do it myself to save on labor cost.
Old 05-22-19, 08:13 AM
Apone
Pole Position

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

"The Fender Liner, located between your vehicle's fender and the wheels, protects your vehicle's underhood from water and impurities such as mud, dirt and debris."

Yes, I would say that you need it.
Yes, it could come off if the car rolls over something that goes between the tire and the car, a parking barrier - I see it more often on lowered cars with little clearance between the tire and liner.
Parts for an expensive car can be expensive and it is not a warranty thing, it is an unfortunate road hazard. I guess you could file insurance but I don't think it is worth it.

I agree that online acquisition of the part and self install is the least expensive route.
Old 05-22-19, 08:20 AM
jafsport
Driver

Originally Posted by Apone
"The Fender Liner, located between your vehicle's fender and the wheels, protects your vehicle's underhood from water and impurities such as mud, dirt and debris."

Yes, I would say that you need it.
Yes, it could come off if the car rolls over something that goes between the tire and the car, a parking barrier - I see it more often on lowered cars with little clearance between the tire and liner.
Parts for an expensive car can be expensive and it is not a warranty thing, it is an unfortunate road hazard. I guess you could file insurance but I don't think it is worth it.

I agree that online acquisition of the part and self install is the least expensive route.
With the amount of rain we've been getting these days in Maryland i def dont want any mud or debris to get in the engine. Will put in an order.

Thanks for your help.