RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Looking to buy a used RC-F, most likely 2015

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-19, 08:36 PM
Huiezzy
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Looking to buy a used RC-F, most likely 2015

Hello all, I am needing some help weighing some pros and cons in buying a RC-F. I have done some searches in my area for used RC-F and they look like they are going for around 35k-40k with about 40k-60k miles.

I would be using it as my daily. What are your experiences with owning the RC-F? Anybody bought a used and ran into any problems or did it go ok?

Thanks!
Old 06-03-19, 05:46 AM
CAHWY128
Advanced

Received 346 Likes on 228 Posts

I bought a 2015 used one. It had 17K miles which was low.

I have had zero issues. I did have to do the fuel pump recall.

Now that I have owned one for a while I would not be scared to buy one with higher miles as long as it was serviced and not in an accident. The cars seem pretty bullet proof.
Old 06-03-19, 05:46 AM
Blze001
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

I bought a 2015 in November. 47k after the government got their share, 17k miles.

What I'd look into is if the various recalls and TSBs were done, that's usually a good indicator of how well kept it was. The big one is the high-pressure fuel pumps in the engine bay, that was a safety recall. There was also a TSB out for the low-pressure pump under the rear seat, that was more a "this will make annoying noises and we need to reflash it" type. Other than that, the usual used-car checklist: maintenance records are ideal, look it over visually, drive it around a bit with the radio off, try to go close to a concrete wall (this helps with listening for weird squeaks or noises).

If it was taken care of, buying used is extremely low risk, there's a reason people joke that a Lexus leaves it's break in period at 50k.

As far as experiences go, I break it down like this:

The good:
  • V8 noises. I'm a primal being at heart, and V8s make my inner caveman happy.
  • The seats were designed by angels, I swear to god.
  • Aforementioned V8 makes thinks happen quickly when you press the skinny pedal.
  • Surprisingly good mileage on highway trips in eco mode, the engine cycle change clearly works as advertised.
  • There aren't many of these (Even the V6 version is relatively uncommon), so if you want to be a bit unique, this definitely fits the bill. A lot of people think it was more expensive than it is.
  • Toyota/Lexus reliability. I buy and use cars until they die, so I'm probably gonna be with my Tacoma-and-RC-F garage for a loooooooooong time.
The bad:
  • I really don't like the mousepad interface.
  • Sunroof squeaks. I've fiddled with the seals and I still get it in certain circumstances. Next step is a full-on replacement of the seals, see if that works.
The ugly:
  • Standard sportscar ugliness: expensive tires, expensive insurance, gas stations are the devil.
  • She is a bit of a fatty. Not a huge downside, she's a GT car more than anything, but it is a bit of a shame they couldn't shave more pounds off.
Old 06-03-19, 06:35 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,492 Likes on 1,793 Posts

I have had mine for two years. Don't put a lot of mileage on it as it is only a spring/summer car. Bought it with 8000 miles and now just over 10,000 miles. Zero issues. Only did the recall work. It still seems like it is breaking in as it keeps getting stronger as the miles roll on. Only complaint was the stock exhaust being too quiet, but fixed it with a full aftermarket catback and it is amazing.

Not sure about daily driving since I never did that, but you cannot use more than 7/10ths of its capabilities on the road. In high rpms, it is fast and will get you to well beyond legal speeds in a few seconds. Having two different personalities, it is rather sterile to drive conservatively. Manual mode, high revs and sport+ are the one's to use if you want to really wake up the car. I did some spirited driving yesterday and quickly realized even with my hardest efforts how the car was completely unfazed even pushing hard on high speed sweeping turns to the point where it was getting well beyond legal speeds.

Being the owner of a carbon fiber/TVD package, I would highly recommend that. The front end becomes very sharp and quick responding to the slightest input from the steering especially with TVD in slalom mode.

Interestingly, I ONLY feel the weight when braking from high speeds where you can feel those big brakes working hard to slow the car down. Otherwise, it pounces from turn to turn like a big cat.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 06-03-19 at 06:46 AM.
Old 06-03-19, 10:56 AM
theman
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

I went for a 2015 with 36k-miles on it last year... very clean stock car still under factory warranty, that already had the fuel pump and brake pad bulletins done on it, and it's been garaged its whole life. TVD sport package w/ CF roof and wing + ML sound. Only put an invidia exhaust on it so far. Like everything about the car, and same pros as most listed here. No inherent issues really, at 6 months in did have to replace one secondary O2 sensory due to throwing a code randomly, but the sensor didn't really fail on its own, some road debris must have jumped up and nicked two of its wires at some point and the O2 eventually failed it seems.
In my area my car with its mileage goes for around $40k as well, so you're right on there... and I've only seen one other RCF around this area besides mine.
Old 06-03-19, 09:43 PM
Huiezzy
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for all of your responses! Reading them only makes me want to buy one even more!