RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

RC F vs M4 vs 997

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-19, 10:41 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,469 Likes on 1,774 Posts

Not sure what you are expecting us to tell you? We are trying to help you through sharing personal experience with the car for years. Not trying to refute what is being said on the internet. That is for you to decide. I don't think it makes sense to defend against someone who drove a press car for probably a few minutes. If you follow Doug DeMuro, I am sure you know he cannot be taken seriously especially considering his glowing review of the Kia Stinger. Though, his scoring of the RCF puts it right near the top of similar cars, you can take a look at his LFA review and I can point out many errors he made about details of the car.

Alternatively, you can look for more credible reviewers who are real enthusiasts and actually competitively race on the track like SavageGeese with proper technical details. He is one of the most well respected and objective reviewer on youtube.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 06-21-19 at 01:24 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Apone (06-21-19)
Old 06-20-19, 11:28 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,962 Likes on 2,400 Posts

Reconcile what? This is pretty fair IMHO.

Check out the F vs. F Sport thread for details.

My chief complaint with the RC F and GS F is they weigh too much. If they could produce these models at <3700 lbs, they'd be pretty awesome.
The following 2 users liked this post by lobuxracer:
Apone (06-21-19), redspencer (06-25-19)
Old 06-21-19, 04:32 AM
Apone
Pole Position

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

Completely agree with what has been said and would add - have you driven the car? Did you like it yes or no. And do you plan to make a decision based on Doug? Hell Chris Harris didn't love the car either. Unless he's coming to your house to make payments or you can drive like he does - I'm not sure it matters.
Old 06-21-19, 04:32 AM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

I've watched Demuro's review of the RC F twice. Once before buying the car and once afterwards. I generally find him to be a fair reviewer, but he also has an opinion and I don't always agree with him. Are the general digs against the RC F true? Yes. It is a heavier vehicle than its competitors. It does have a more vague steering feel than an M3 or a Porsche. It is slower than the M3 and C63 in a straight line. But all of that said, it has advantages as well. It is more reliable. It does have less expensive maintenance. It does have the most advanced tech. It does have that naturally aspirated V8 that makes sounds that cannot be replicated by a 6 cylinder. Those of us that bought the RC F did so knowing that the M3 (and C63 and 911 and so on) were out there. We bought the car because the boxes it does check are more valuable to us than the boxes it doesn't. Plus, for me anyway, the fact that I still have not seen another RC F on the road in my area makes it that much cooler to me.
The following 3 users liked this post by vbb:
05RollaXRS (06-21-19), Apone (06-21-19), CinFulxgs (01-06-20)
Old 06-21-19, 05:37 AM
CAHWY128
Advanced

Received 345 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by CraigMak
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnrov9akHZY

I just watched Doug Demuro's review of the RC-F. It wasn't great, how do you guys reconcile this?

Did you also watch Jeremy Clarkson wreck it into the grass? That was a serious hit piece on the RCF.

I have driven in Expert mode and for the life of me can not even figure out how he did that unless it was on purpose.

I think the Motortrend Head to Head was the fairest evaluation of the car.

Like others have said drive one. It will tell you more then you can learn here. I love winding up the V8.
The following users liked this post:
05RollaXRS (06-21-19)
Old 06-21-19, 02:26 PM
CraigMak
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CAHWY128
Did you also watch Jeremy Clarkson wreck it into the grass? That was a serious hit piece on the RCF.

I have driven in Expert mode and for the life of me can not even figure out how he did that unless it was on purpose.

I think the Motortrend Head to Head was the fairest evaluation of the car.

Like others have said drive one. It will tell you more then you can learn here. I love winding up the V8.
Yeah, I saw the Jeremy Clarkson video as well. It seemed ridiculously biased and he mostly talked about what a unicorn the LFA was and other nonsense. Didn't hardly say much about the RC-F or the M4 it was supposed to be compared to.
Old 06-21-19, 02:57 PM
CraigMak
Rookie

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Not sure what you are expecting us to tell you? We are trying to help you through sharing personal experience with the car for years. Not trying to refute what is being said on the internet. That is for you to decide. I don't think it makes sense to defend against someone who drove a press car for probably a few minutes. If you follow Doug DeMuro, I am sure you know he cannot be taken seriously especially considering his glowing review of the Kia Stinger. Though, his scoring of the RCF puts it right near the top of similar cars, you can take a look at his LFA review and I can point out many errors he made about details of the car.

Alternatively, you can look for more credible reviewers who are real enthusiasts and actually competitively race on the track like SavageGeese with proper technical details. He is one of the most well respected and objective reviewer on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP9UkX2AHn4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjJKmpIIz34

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbUTdt3YUyI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sI40WhLujGk
Thanks! I just watched that savagegeese video and it was awesome. I remember watching some other vids by that guy and thinking he was an amazing reviewer. Doug does seem like more of a joke than other reviewers but I do usually trust his reviews. It didn't seem good that he mainly just said that the M4 is straight up a better car and to only buy the RC-F if it's cheaper. They are quite rare compared to the M4 and reliability is no comparison. That might help resale in the future. Especially with that NA V8. with an NA V8 the RC F would be an absolute unicorn if they would have just given it a manual transmission option.

For me I absolutely love the look and the color of the laguna seca blue M4. I see the15' RC-F in electric blue for $42K and a 15' laguna blue M4, manual, with HRE rims for $43K. I would choose the M4 today over the RC-F but 5 -10 years from now I wonder if that M4 will be a pile of crap. My e46 M3 has held up well but I'm not sure about these newer BMW's. It seems like the new BMW's have so much that can go wrong compared to 20 years ago.

The RC-F interior also looks quite amazing. Anyways, just my ramblings. Thanks for all your input guys.
Old 06-21-19, 11:25 PM
CraigMak
Rookie

I just noticed that there are much better deals to be had on this car and pretty much every other car on autotrader. I'm seeing RC F's in the $35K price range which seems quite low compared to eBay and dealerships nearby. Anybody had good experiences with autotrader?
Old 06-21-19, 11:40 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

I just noticed that there are much better deals to be had on this car and pretty much every other car on autotrader. I'm seeing RC F's in the $35K price range which seems quite low compared to eBay and dealerships nearby. Anybody had good experiences with autotrader?
Big variables there. Mileage, condition, equipped option packages, accidents, wear and tear etc. Brand new, the prices ran from $64,000 to $81,000 for the top end carbon/TVD and all other options. If you look for a perfect condition, low mileage with all of the packages especially the carbon fiber/TVD package, even the 2015 go for a lot higher than $35K. If you want a very well kept, low mileage one with a lot of optional packages on it including the carbon/TVD then it will be in the high-40s for a 2015 - 2016 and higher for the 2017+.
Old 06-22-19, 12:27 AM
CraigMak
Rookie

2015 with 48,428 miles for $34,722. Seems like a pretty good price. It's just missing those red seats
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ckType=listing

I also saw an M4 with only 13,000 for only $35,999. I feel like the miles on that M4 must be a typo. eBay has nothing on these prices.
Old 06-22-19, 12:36 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

2015 with 48,428 miles for $34,722. Seems like a pretty good price. It's just missing those red seats
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ckType=listing

I also saw an M4 with only 13,000 for only $35,999. I feel like the miles on that M4 must be a typo. eBay has nothing on these prices.
Well, I said you cannot read too much into what you find on the internet. For one, you don't know the history of the car just by looking at picture. Also, a huge red flag is that it claims it is "performance package" (which is the official name of the carbon fiber/TVD package) when it is a base model RCF with a moonroof. Base model wheels (non-forged 19 inch wheels), non-ML system, no TVD button and also has no carbon fiber.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 06-22-19 at 12:41 AM.
Old 06-22-19, 07:37 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,962 Likes on 2,400 Posts

In Service date for that particular car is 2/27/2015. It was built 11/22/2014. There is nothing special about it, and the fuel pump ECM reflash was done at Lexus of North Miami. If it is a Florida car that lived near the beach, it could be in pretty ugly shape underneath. At least it doesn't have a salvage or rebuilt title.
Old 06-23-19, 05:59 AM
Ken34
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

savagegeese is the best. imo he did the best review on the car. honestly was one of the factors in me buying it over my other choices.
Old 06-23-19, 07:04 AM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Ken34
savagegeese is the best. imo he did the best review on the car. honestly was one of the factors in me buying it over my other choices.
I missed that review during my searches so I didn't see it until this thread. I agree that it was a great review. Very technical, not overly dramatic for clicks sake, nothing silly... just straight forward facts. I've never seen his reviews before but I like his style.
Old 06-24-19, 09:17 AM
theman
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Well, I said you cannot read too much into what you find on the internet. For one, you don't know the history of the car just by looking at picture. Also, a huge red flag is that it claims it is "performance package" (which is the official name of the carbon fiber/TVD package) when it is a base model RCF with a moonroof. Base model wheels (non-forged 19 inch wheels), non-ML system, no TVD button and also has no carbon fiber.
Agreed on this, never heard of the "Super Sports Package" it lists... but it's definitely not the Performance Package with carbon fiber roof & wing + TVD. It does have an aftermarket exhaust on it though, so maybe it's loud at least.
Those base wheels are still 19" BBS forged though... I have a set of those in 19x10 for a square setup just painted AstonMartin Graphite. I actually prefer them over the hand polished BBS mine came with... and I can fit a 295 at each corner. That will take car of the .3 second difference between the RCF and an M4 around the track.

The last reliable BMW was the previous E90,2,3 M3... I had one and it was a great car that only needed a battery and tires throughout its time in my garage, and the BMW techs barely saw them in for problems, but every other 3 with the direct injection turbo motors had tons of issues in that same production cycle. Now every time I pop by my friend's bay at the BMW dealership to visit, there is the latest rendition of M3 or M4 torn apart down to the block getting issues fixed.

Quick Reply: RC F vs M4 vs 997