RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Buyers Remorse?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-19, 05:15 PM
Apone
Pole Position

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by vbb
I've been participating on car discussion forums for nearly 20yrs. Some are way more mature than others. Some sections of the same forum are more mature. And yes, it is usually directly linked to the make and model of the car. I'm obviously biased, but the IS F and RC F sections of CL have a lot of mature, thoughtful and helpful participants. I've owned a lot of different vehicles and think I'm fair about the pros and cons of each.
My favorite community was Subaru (NASIOC.com) when the WRX came stateside in 2002. There were some bros in there for sure but there were some really sharp engineering types in there who knew their way around a modification. They would test and report back with pictures and graphs and excel sheets. If you were patient and listened, you could learn all you needed to know to reliably make good fun power. Whenever you saw a WRX on the street (while in yours) you got "the wave". It was a great place to spend time, very active with tons of sections from in car audio to autocross racing. They even had regional forums for the NE guys, the CA guys and so on where meetups would be organized and local shops rated. Sometimes members would meet at a guys house and install his parts in the driveway for the cost of beer and pizza. They loved Subarus but they could talk objectively about what made the EVO a great car and others as well. Of course, there was a section for just talking cars.

Thanks for indulging that trip down memory lane.
Old 06-26-19, 07:51 PM
BlueRCF10
Intermediate

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts

None, I love this car!
The following users liked this post:
Dribble (06-27-19)
Old 06-29-19, 02:39 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,506 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Now that hot weather is here and the tires are really up to temp while driving, it is hard to understate the overall brilliance of the car. My preferred pressure of 39 psi rear and 37 psi really keeps the front end loaded through turn and the steering always remains very sharp. The stiff rear end makes the car feel like it is on rails while being a bit playful. I just drove it today and got back home really smitten by the fun experiences. Moments that are few, short and far between really make the whole driving experience including the remaining sedate one's so much more fun.

Waiting for a left turn going up the hill, I got off the line holding it in first gear (manual, sport+, slalom) through the left and car went ike it was on rails and as soon as I exit out, I punched it to 70% throttle straightening it out uphill and the Invidia screamed as the car kicked the tail out a bit and then rocketed uphill and part throttle I shifted up to second gear below redline as it slammed the next gear in and then I let off. The whole thing was probably 15 seconds, but was an exhilarating experience that made me think about it all the way back home.
Old 06-29-19, 05:54 PM
CraigMak
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

In Calgary I think you mean it's finally lukewarm out. It's 110 in AZ right now But yeah, warm weather always makes a car feel like it's on rails compared to winter. So much grip!!!
Old 06-29-19, 06:54 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,506 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Originally Posted by CraigMak
In Calgary I think you mean it's finally lukewarm out. It's 110 in AZ right now But yeah, warm weather always makes a car feel like it's on rails compared to winter. So much grip!!!
Yeah, it has been raining a lot lately so today it was warm/sunny at about 24 - 25 C (75 - 77 F) and clear skies. The asphalt has heated up quite a bit so after driving for about 15 minutes or so, I could really feel the tires getting quite a lot of temperature in them. As I have quite a lot of gripe with the stock super sports not having extra load sidewalls, they stiffen up quite nicely once the temperature is hot like it was today. I have one more season left on them and then will be moving up to Pilot Sport 4S with XL sidewalls.
Old 06-30-19, 10:05 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,083 Likes on 2,475 Posts

Someday you should go to a racetrack and find out what getting tires hot really means. This is just not possible on a public road. When you measure north of 160F with a contact pyrometer across the tread on a street drive, post pictures here. I'll eat my words. Until then, you're no where close to hot. You're just not as cold as you were, and PSS, PS4S, PS Cup, etc. all suck when they're cold compared to when they are at full temperature.

Pirelli says this about their slicks:
Originally Posted by Pirelli SpA
SLICK tires – optimum tread temperature is between 160°F and 220°F. The temperature should never be higher than 250°F.The temperature difference between the inside shoulder and outside shoulder of the tires should not be greater than 40°F
This is pretty typical in the industry.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Old 07-02-19, 07:39 PM
Mingofish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 330 Likes on 231 Posts

Lance,
You gave me something to aspire to!

My typical tire temp coming off track in the summer is around 140-150 with pyrometer. Thought I had them hot enough. Guess I need to push harder...
But there’s always that cool down lap before I can pit and check. Wonder how much the tire actually cools during that lap? Any insight?

I definitely don’t get 40 degrees difference from inside to outside so I think my camber is set decent. Usually it’s about 10-15 degrees. Thoughts?
Old 07-02-19, 10:45 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

We're always shooting for dead even, but it rarely happens. These temps are measured directly off the track with a contact pyrometer. The IR devices aren't nearly as accurate, so you could be a little cool, but probably not too much.
Old 07-03-19, 05:01 AM
Mingofish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 330 Likes on 231 Posts

I’m using a pyrometer. Just that I can’t come off track hot since everyone always runs a cool down lap. Guess I can pit early and check but never want to give up the track time.
Just wondering if you had experience with that and know roughly how much a tire would cool during that cool down lap so I can add that back to the tire temp reading.
Old 07-03-19, 02:07 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

I've never tried to figure that out. It would require a hot stop and a cool down on the same day. Like you said, no desire to give up track time.
The following users liked this post:
Mingofish (07-05-19)
Old 07-05-19, 11:24 PM
sensai
Advanced

Received 663 Likes on 230 Posts

No remorse...but I have started eyeballing the 2020's and even thought about chasing a TE after seeing it in person. Must resist the impulse buy....

I've had my 2017 for only 3 months and logged more than 3,000 miles - it's not my daily. Those miles are all joy rides. If the build quality is anything like my Toyota's (expecting better) then I should be able to run it to 125k miles without even breaking a $weat. That's the current plan.

Taking it in soon for the first service since I've owned it. Will be asking to do the LSB's for display and brake squeak. I have some window rubber molding that's tweaking so we'll see if they'll replace that.
Old 07-10-19, 07:48 AM
RC350s
Driver

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

no regrets on my '17 except I used it as a daily driver and burned through a quarter tank a day. After checking out the new 2020 RCF though, I would definitely get it over the previous models since it has a ton of improvements including the new design, plus the much needed launch control.