RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Supra vs RCF Side by Side

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-19, 03:57 PM
BossMoss
Pole Position

Received 129 Likes on 75 Posts

As a former owner of a MkII, MkIII, and MkIV Supra, I am firmly in the corner of the RC-F. For me, my RC-F has always been my MkV Supra. At one point I considered getting a plate on it that said MKV SUP. Now that there is a real MkV Supra, I still prefer the RC-F. It's simply a more beautiful vehicle. The new Supra is growing on me, and I would love to test drive one, but I can't see parting with my RC-F. It is my favorite car that I have owned after my MkIV Supra. Now, if they make a manual transmission in the Supra and it turns out to be as mod friendly and as bulletproof as the MkIV, I may change my mind.
Old 08-05-19, 11:39 AM
jafsport
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

ima big booty guy obviously RCF wins!
Old 08-07-19, 09:03 AM
theman
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by BossMoss
As a former owner of a MkII, MkIII, and MkIV Supra, I am firmly in the corner of the RC-F. For me, my RC-F has always been my MkV Supra. At one point I considered getting a plate on it that said MKV SUP. Now that there is a real MkV Supra, I still prefer the RC-F. It's simply a more beautiful vehicle. The new Supra is growing on me, and I would love to test drive one, but I can't see parting with my RC-F. It is my favorite car that I have owned after my MkIV Supra.
this exactly mirrors my thoughts having had each of the previous gen Supra Turbos... I did have to let my RCF go to a good new home recently, but it was hard to do as it has been one of my favorites... just too many project cars in the works. But the only thing replacing the RCF down the road for me would be another RCF, not the latest Supra.
The following users liked this post:
BossMoss (08-08-19)
Old 08-07-19, 10:54 AM
SLoCruiser
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The new Supra actually looks better in these pictures compared to the ones I see from the press. RCF definitely looks bulkier.
Old 08-07-19, 04:08 PM
slper
Driver

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Funny, went to the dealer to look and I'm not at all impressed.

Old 08-12-19, 02:03 AM
Rozay604
Advanced

Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts

Wrong comparison. RCF is way bigger. Here’s a better comparison
Old 08-12-19, 04:55 AM
vbb

Received 198 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Rozay604
Wrong comparison. RCF is way bigger. Here’s a better comparison
Which do you think people will seriously comparison shop...the similarly priced and powered Supra vs RCF or the not at all similarly priced nor powered Supra and FRS?

Granted, the RCF is a different car to the Supra with a different focus, but I do believe it is a more fair comparison. I actually think the best comparison would be the GTR to the Supra despite the different prices, because both seem to be targeting the same niche...highly tunable, forced induction Japanese performance cars with so/so luxury and refinement.
Apone (08-12-19)
Old 08-12-19, 05:28 AM
Apone
Pole Position

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by vbb
Very different cars to fill different desires. I still don't love the looks of the Supra but overall the car is growing on me a bit. I just don't have the desire to even think about paying the $25k markup my local dealership is currently asking.
Not sure if I have discussed here or on youtube but this is exactly where I fall on the issue. I think the cars are quite different and fit different needs. I think the RCF is more impressive if that's what you are going for. It is a bigger, heavier car. It looks and should feel like it costs a lot more regardless of reality. Like Rolla mentioned these launch edition Supras are more than I paid for my RCF and I won't give them more for it and definitely not a markup. RCF will be nicer on the inside and when not listening to the engine the ML system is lovely. That said, my only real holdup on the Supra is seeing how the BMW parts hold up. I am 100% interested in the dramatically lighter weight and smaller size of the MKV Supra. I also like the quicker tuning of the transmission in it - since I still can't have a manual. The Supra is what I tend to want which is the most power in the smallest car that I want to pay for. If this thing had a toyota turbo six in it, I would already be down there talking numbers and asking questions. I still fully intend to test drive it. Who knows, maybe I will hate it but it seems like a fun formula. I think slicing through traffic and around obstacles is more fun in a smaller car that willingly turns. I live in the NE and there are a lot of tight roads here. The RCF feels most at home on the freeway, with some room to run.

As some mentioned, if you could have both it would be fine. The RCF is to go out to dinner or a wedding, to carry more than 2 people, to road trip, and to make an "impression". I think the Supra is more focused on the driving experience and less compromise. I think it will post better laptimes and is what you drive when it's just you and the car......and you don't want to pay for a Porsche Look, I really wanted Toyota to make this car, but it did not make sense for them. Now, all I can hope is that their sense of pride in their name and reputation won't allow them to sell a completely unreliable grenade of a car and that they will work with the platform to be something that I pay for. Word is that they did during development but let's see what happens once in the wild.

Looks - I love the front of the RCF, I love the rear of the Supra. I think that both cars have some odd angles but what can you do, this is what we have to choose from in this C8 Corvetteless thread. And yes, I realize the Corvette is a sizeable car.
BossMoss (08-12-19)
Old 08-12-19, 05:28 AM
Gearbangin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 223 Likes on 95 Posts

lol I just thought it was some cool pics. I get the rcf is more expensive and bigger.
Old 08-12-19, 06:35 AM
Zarrex
Rookie

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

Unrelated, but were you driving through NYC on Thursday night by any change Gearbangin?
Old 08-12-19, 06:23 PM
Gearbangin
Lexus Test Driver

Better not my cars at shop for oil change and maintenance locally Pittsubrgh.
Old 08-13-19, 12:19 PM
Zarrex
Rookie

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

Gotcha, was driving next to an RCF in the same color on Cross Bronx last week lol
Old 08-13-19, 09:52 PM
autoz4me
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I’m a Mkiv owner and have been for 20 years but for looks I’d have that RC-F in it’s lowered stance all day.
Old 08-14-19, 07:00 PM
Gearbangin
Lexus Test Driver

I pulled the trigger. I got to say stock for stock car feels faster even the base numbers are almost the same. My buddies shop just went 10.8@124 with tune, race gas and down pipe so very mod friendly.

The following 3 users liked this post by Gearbangin:
05RollaXRS (08-15-19), BossMoss (08-14-19), CAHWY128 (08-15-19)
Old 08-15-19, 05:04 AM
AgentWin
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearbangin
I pulled the trigger. I got to say stock for stock car feels faster even the base numbers are almost the same. My buddies shop just went 10.8@124 with tune, race gas and down pipe so very mod friendly.
Congrats, I knew you would pulled the trigger sooner or later. Did u trade in the Rc F? 10.8 is pretty fast, I wonder how much it was pushing to get those numbers

Quick Reply: Supra vs RCF Side by Side