RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Supra vs RCF Side by Side

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-19, 01:02 PM
Benoit
Advanced

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

I tried out the Supra. It's a nice car. As a alpine spirited driver, this is the car to go. BUT there are compromise in interior space. And this is exactly where I wouldn't go for the Supra. I'm not rich enough to buy 2 or 3 cars. I need a good one all year around. For this, the RCF does the job perfectly, and the 2015-2016 are perfect to temper with the coilovers and mod the car's behavior.

Also, the design of the RCF speaks better to me than the Toyota, that I find a little bit messy.
Old 08-21-19, 02:03 PM
Apone
Pole Position

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Benoit
I tried out the Supra. It's a nice car. As a alpine spirited driver, this is the car to go. BUT there are compromise in interior space. And this is exactly where I wouldn't go for the Supra. I'm not rich enough to buy 2 or 3 cars. I need a good one all year around. For this, the RCF does the job perfectly, and the 2015-2016 are perfect to temper with the coilovers and mod the car's behavior.

Also, the design of the RCF speaks better to me than the Toyota, that I find a little bit messy.
I’ve not been in it yet but I can tell from the videos online that it is a tiny car inside. The one from the smoking tire was particularly entertaining watching him squeeze in there. It’s definitely not the year rounder that the rcf kind of can be. I don’t drive year round because we get real winter here and the all season tires vibe is not what I wanted from it. Also, 460+ horses on snow with 4000lbs and rear wheel drive sounds like more fun than I’m looking for just going to work or whatever. The Supra is a truer summer toy imho and I think it will be very good at that role.
Old 08-24-19, 10:22 PM
BrianHo
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Hi, beautiful cars BTW. The Supra in Black looks sweet!

Just got a quick question. What aero kit do you have on your RC F? Is it Carbon Fiber?

Thanks,
Brian

Originally Posted by Gearbangin
Got them tucked in for the night.

Old 08-24-19, 11:14 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,504 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Interesting comparison of apples and oranges. GT350 vs Supra. They say the Supra is more tossable because of the small size and light weight. Supra gives an impressive run to the GT350 on Michelin Pilot Cup 2 slick tires and hangs neck and neck up to 1/4 mile.

In the end, the Mustang GT350 won in part because of the high-revving V8 charm.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...-shelby-gt350/

But we don't care. As impressed as we are with the fifth-generation Supra, it's the old school, three-pedal Mustang, with its race-car–like turn-in and V-8 thunder, that speaks to its driver the loudest, both literally and figuratively. Driven back to back, the Ford is simply too engaging to not win this shootout. But it wins it by a nose.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 08-25-19 at 09:23 AM.
The following users liked this post:
GunnyFitz (08-28-19)
Old 08-26-19, 10:07 AM
ninten5
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The C7 is old now but it competes with the supra directly. 33xx lbs, 0-60 under 4 sec, 2 seats, etc.

Last edited by ninten5; 08-26-19 at 10:29 AM.
Old 08-26-19, 01:12 PM
CAHWY128
Advanced

Received 346 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by ninten5
The C7 is old now but it competes with the supra directly. 33xx lbs, 0-60 under 4 sec, 2 seats, etc.

My father is sort of a car collector and bought a 2019 C7. He wanted the last year of the "real Corvette." It is just a base model and it does 0 to 60 in 3.6 and really feels like a beast. I have driven it and really enjoy it. It certainly feels faster than the RCF. Given a choice though I will still take the RCF. The RCF to me just has a much higher quality feel.

The engine in the C7 is really fun. They definitely have that engine dialed in. The car is way more tail happy than the RCF. Last time I took it out with my wife she wanted to kill me because I kept burning out and drifting the rear end around. She demanded to be taken home after an especially long burn out...LOL.
GunnyFitz (08-28-19)
Old 08-29-19, 01:18 PM
BretTravis
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

A client just drove up to the office in a Supra; Beautiful. Wishing for a life sized version. Kinda like the Miata, one for each foot.
I have no headroom in my RCF when wearing my helmet.
Old 08-29-19, 02:36 PM
CAHWY128
Advanced

Received 346 Likes on 228 Posts

I saw my first Supra driving today. I think it looked great.
Old 08-30-19, 02:54 PM
CK9887
Pole Position

Received 57 Likes on 28 Posts

With the $60K price tag, they look too much like a boy racer tuner car. Like a beefed up BRZ/FRS.

I think the car could have had much more praise/success at a $40K price point.
Old 08-30-19, 04:36 PM
Apone
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CK9887

Stand by for success. It see it easily outselling our cars. The massive aftermarket support. Cars will be powerful, colorful, individual. I think there will be a broad tuner community playing with this thing.

I went to see it in person yesterday after Bretravis posted about how small it was. I got in it and it is small, really small. The upside of that is that it feels like you are wearing the thing and could place it anywhere you like. A bit like an M2 but with worse visibility to the side and rear. This example was red and looked quite good with the black wheels and accents. The dealership was empty of customers but full of salespeople. I pulled up in the F and they perked up for a kill. I walk in and their faces fell when I said Supra...they knew something I did not yet know. The salesman whos "up" it was took me over and lets me get up close and personal with the car (parked inside). I get inside to look at the interior, the trunk (small) and under the hood. It was then that I saw it. Even though the car was advertised on Autotrader for $57k+ which is launch edition MSRP, it was marked up over $19k to make for a $78,000 b58. I let him know how I felt about that. Some places are honest with the markup. It was only a few miles away so not a big deal but if someone comes from NJ to see this thing, not ideal. The really tried to sell me this car but there was zero chance of a full MSRP purchase let alone a 20k markup. He instantly got the sales manager (who's idea the markup probably was) who put the hard press on. I said call me when you actually want to sell a car. As I expected there are elements that I really like. Inside, it's no RCF but the size/weight/proportions are nice, not to mention the ergonomics. It just needs to cool off a bit. Reminds me of the GT350 launch....now you can get one anytime anywhere in any color. It's a cool little car but to pay more than an M2 comp, a Corvette, or a number of other cars seems out of touch with reality. I look forward to meeting her again.
Old 08-30-19, 09:17 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by CK9887
With the $60K price tag, they look too much like a boy racer tuner car. Like a beefed up BRZ/FRS.

Lol, I pretty much agree! By the way my 15' Blue Mica only has 5k miles & has Never been driven in the rain, has a front clear bra, Never smoked in & Always been kept in a air cooled garage! Contact me if you interested, NO Low Ballers cause I don't have to sale it, I just have too many vehicles & don't drive it like I should. It's also Never been on the track or drag raced, No scratches, No Bodywork. Inside still smells New! PM me if you're interested
Old 08-30-19, 09:20 PM
Gearbangin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 223 Likes on 95 Posts

Small? Tell that to Mr Hogan. lol it’s onky 5” shorter then the MKIV

Apone (08-31-19)
Old 08-30-19, 09:55 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

Lol, there's a Reason you Don't see the Hulk in Shorts!
Old 08-31-19, 11:00 AM
Apone
Pole Position

he fits, but he is jammed in there
Old 09-03-19, 03:12 PM
Apone
Pole Position

Extension of factory warranty by Toyota on a bmw powertrain. I thought this day would never come. Looks @Toyota USA

https://www.carsguide.com.au/car-new...-z4-twin-75980