RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Dealership scratched my RCF help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-19, 06:42 PM
Apone
Pole Position

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by kukudm
The scratch looks deep, someone keyed your car very likely. If the dealer insists on doing it in-house, I'll let them do it. If they gonna re-paint the panel, you gotta check their work afterwards - check under sunlight with different angles of sunshine (morning, noon and afternoon) for paint mismatch and clear coat quality (orange peel). Some dealership would do a good job in color match, while some others will simply run the paint code in their system and follow the what the computer says to mix the paint, without any regards to how it matches up to the color of *your* car. So, check their work, anything you find not acceptable, make sure to bring it back ASAP and have them re-do it.
polarized sunglasses. That painted panel always looked different through them to me.
Old 08-14-19, 10:56 PM
Koreatown
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My question is how picky can I get when they finish with the paint job? I'm hoping they get it damn near perfect.. The service manager mentioned that they cant get it 100% because my car is used and there's slight wear on it and it is impossible to match it perfectly.. Just want the car to look like it has not been repainted.. When I inspect the vehicle and I see slight color mismatch, am I asking for too much to do the job again? Where do I draw the line?

However, he promised me I will be satisfied and will detail the car. If this was your car, what would you do and by looking at the finished vehicle if you can't see the difference between two doors will that do? CL member Apone said, "I kept a car for a long time and the panels that were painted faded and deteriorated through the clear coat in a terrible way." Worried the finish product will look good and later same thing happens what Apone went through!! Stressed the service manger won't take me seriously and find loop hole things to say being slightly on the younger age...

Old 08-15-19, 12:13 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

I think unless the whole car is repainted (which I do not recommend you do), it will always have some "mismatching". They can get it to very close where I can not tell. But an EXPERT will be able to though.

That's where "lifetime warranty" as long as you own the car comes into play, I guess. My repaired CT200h (silver) after almost some 4 years in the SoCal sun (often parked in the sun) is still very good. I can't tell the difference.

Originally Posted by Koreatown
My question is how picky can I get when they finish with the paint job? I'm hoping they get it damn near perfect.. The service manager mentioned that they cant get it 100% because my car is used and there's slight wear on it and it is impossible to match it perfectly.. Just want the car to look like it has not been repainted.. When I inspect the vehicle and I see slight color mismatch, am I asking for too much to do the job again? Where do I draw the line?

However, he promised me I will be satisfied and will detail the car. If this was your car, what would you do and by looking at the finished vehicle if you can't see the difference between two doors will that do? CL member Apone said, "I kept a car for a long time and the panels that were painted faded and deteriorated through the clear coat in a terrible way." Worried the finish product will look good and later same thing happens what Apone went through!! Stressed the service manger won't take me seriously and find loop hole things to say being slightly on the younger age...
Old 08-15-19, 05:31 AM
BlueRCF10
Intermediate

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts

That's such an unfortunate situation but I was in a similar one with my RCF. The day I bought it I brought it in for an inspection and they did an alignment. When I got the car back I noticed a small scratch on the back bumper. These service guys I deal with are really good guys and have helped me out well in the past so I didn't even mention it and got it fixed by my detailer which did a fantastic job. You can barely see it now and you'd have to be me or the detailer to know its there basically. I'm very satisfied with the fix but keep in mind it was a plastic panel and not a metal one like yours. Since they're going the painting route, I'd give a professional detailer a shot at correcting it and worst case you don't like it then have Lexus paint it. It is annoying that you might have to fork out your own funds to fix the issue... I personally would sell my vehicle if I had to paint any metal panel on it.

Just last week I got into an accident with a 15yr old cyclist with my 2008 GS and it was fully his fault and I still had to dish out approx. 1K to fix all my damage and still not to my likings. I thank god that it wasn't the RCF as I would've sold it after insurance would be done with fixing it (at a Lexus body shop). Sometimes these things happen and it's all about what you accept as the end result.

1. I'd try a pro detailer first with your own money or at least have them split on that bill.

2. If you're still not happy, have them paint it and specify that you want the most meticulous and best worker they got working on the fix.

Best of luck!!