Low Oil light on

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-19, 04:40 PM
Jlesz
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Low Oil light on

Hi Guys,

So this is the second time my oil light has come on saying it's low. I bought the car used in November, fresh oil change and I got about 5000k and then the low oil light came on. So I changed the oil and put the proper amount in and confirmed everything was good. When I measured how much oil came out It was under 5 litres.

Well I just hit around 3800k after the oil change and the low oil light has come on again. The only modification to the car is a borla exhaust. When I change the oil I used Castrol synthetic oil. Now with that being said I always drive in Sport+ mode and usually using paddle shifters, I am pretty hard on the car and it sees red line quite often. Just wondering if it's because of my style of driving that's burning oil or if others are having the same issue.

I currently just topped up the oil and will continue to monitor the oil levels until I get time to change the oil again.
Old 08-16-19, 06:52 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,902 Likes on 1,342 Posts

Burning oil in the 2UR-GSE is not something that commonly happens. I had my ISF for close to 11 years and never had to add oil between changes. My current LC, is also keeping its crankcase full. Sounds like you may have an issue.

Lou
Old 08-16-19, 07:20 PM
Ne1tHeRe
Instructor

Received 111 Likes on 107 Posts

I had the low oil light come on right after getting my RCF brand new but took it back to dealer. They said sometimes they are shipped with less oil so changed oil for free and never had the light come back on since. Currently just did my 30k service.
Old 08-17-19, 06:12 AM
CAHWY128
Advanced

Received 345 Likes on 227 Posts

I have had mine for about 10K miles and a year and a half. I have done 2 oil changes since I got it and it came with fresh oil and it has not used a drop of oil. Personally I am amazed by this.
Old 08-17-19, 10:56 AM
Erkkkn808
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I drive my car somewhat aggressive and I too have an oil issue. Seems like we’re in the same boat. Between 5k oil changes I go thru 2 quarts, topping off two separate times. Im currently below Lexus’s 1,200 mile/quart threshold, therefore unable to file a claim.
Old 08-17-19, 12:59 PM
ba2sy
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Mine came on at 3959 miles. I just recently drove my rcf harder than my usual after I changed my rear wheels/tires. I usually make it at 5k miles. But not this time. I’m around 28k miles on my 2015. While I was browsing the manual for the homelink, I saw about engine oil changes and it did mention that our engine can burn oil depending on how you drive the car. If you’re doing a lot of launches via drag, fwy ramps, traffic lights, or hitting the rev limit a lot or close to it, it will burn oil. I know someone voluntarily changes his oil at 2k miles because he drives his car hard with a lot of engine braking too.
Old 08-17-19, 02:30 PM
Mingofish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 330 Likes on 231 Posts

Oil burning is normal if you got a heavy foot, especially during high speed hard cornering.
I loose a ton of oil on track but never on street if driving like an adult.
Most oil loss is recirculated through pcv.
Get an oil catcher asap if you don’t have one already.
Valves getting cruddy by the mile...
Old 08-18-19, 07:46 AM
brendanf
Advanced

Received 151 Likes on 93 Posts

Oil catch can is the tell all here.

Those going through a lot of oil it is probably getting sucked in via the PCV system.

The catch can will stop your oil burning issues, but you still have to drain it and top off your oil.
Old 08-19-19, 05:49 AM
mjn88
Lead Lap

Received 145 Likes on 96 Posts

I had a low oil light that came on once but I was doing heavy racing. Since then I got a catch can and I’d highly recommend getting one. I noticed mine was nearly full after 6-8 months of use. Emptying the catch can is so gratifying lol. That oil would have easily gone back into the intake and burned. Do yourself a favor and get one ASAP!
Old 08-19-19, 08:29 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,902 Likes on 1,342 Posts

^^^^I had one (RRRacing's unit) on my ISF. With my LC and the dual intakes, I can't figure out how to install another one.

Lou
Old 08-20-19, 09:45 AM
yooniverse
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Jlesz
Hi Guys,

So this is the second time my oil light has come on saying it's low. I bought the car used in November, fresh oil change and I got about 5000k and then the low oil light came on. So I changed the oil and put the proper amount in and confirmed everything was good. When I measured how much oil came out It was under 5 litres.

Well I just hit around 3800k after the oil change and the low oil light has come on again. The only modification to the car is a borla exhaust. When I change the oil I used Castrol synthetic oil. Now with that being said I always drive in Sport+ mode and usually using paddle shifters, I am pretty hard on the car and it sees red line quite often. Just wondering if it's because of my style of driving that's burning oil or if others are having the same issue.

I currently just topped up the oil and will continue to monitor the oil levels until I get time to change the oil again.
Someone in florida lemon'd her car for this same issue
Old 08-21-19, 03:01 PM
Fysisist
Pole Position

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

My 2015 has over 70K miles. I drive strictly in sport+ mode. I have an apexi throttle controller and stay mainly in violet mode, pretty aggressive. My gas pedal is no stranger to the floor. I've been using Mobile1 since the first oil change. I'm OCD about oil level. I have I think had to add a small amount of oil between changes only once that I can remember. Compared to my car, your car is guzzling oil. That can't be in the neighborhood of normal oil consumption.
Old 08-31-19, 11:53 PM
2007sc430
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Im at 2800 miles in my 2019 LC500 and the low-oil light came on for the 2nd time. I had to, once again, add a quart. I do flog my car to death on a daily basis and Id say I keep the tach near redline most of the time, driving and engine-braking. I barely use my brakes altogether. Im hoping this heavy consumption is at least partly due to the car being new and breaking-in but time will tell. It seems that many who drive the car this hard report the same, especially when the car is new, and it does seem to conform to what the Lexus manual says about oil consumption.
Old 09-03-19, 06:39 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,969 Likes on 2,403 Posts

Castrol is crap oil. Seriously. I ran it in my '93 Celica GTS and it burned a quart every 1000 miles. I traded that car in for a MkIV Supra in 1994.

Mobil 1 is off my list of useful fills too. I had a known issue with my IS F - random ticking on cold start (and ONLY cold start) - that has completely disappeared after I put Renewable Lubricants 5w-30 PCMO SHP in it. I've been running it in the GS F since the first oil change after the free one from Lexus, and the wear numbers I am seeing from Blackstone are unbelievably low.

It's going in my Supra next, and it's always had Red Line 10w-30 in it.
Old 09-03-19, 06:57 PM
JT2MA71

Received 1,559 Likes on 679 Posts

My 2015 has burnt oil from the beginning, I used regular mobil oil when I first got the car, changed to synthetic on the second oil change, with the engine still losing about a quarter of a quart between oil changes. Switched to motul oil, the same. My last oil change I switched brands again, now Amsoil signature series, over 3K miles and I have not added any oil. Engine now has just over 12K miles.

Quick Reply: Low Oil light on