Extremely NEW RC F owner and forum user

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-19, 11:59 AM
Beechbum12
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Extremely NEW RC F owner and forum user

Hi Guys,

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong place, First post and time on this type of site and with forums.
I just purchased a 2015 RCF with super low miles (9k) and any tips for taking the best care of it maintenance wise for longevity would be appreciated.

1.) My biggest question pertains to the use of a K&N oil filter. Do y'all recommend it?
2.) Do y'all recommend a cold air intake upgrade? And if so, what type?

Looking forward to meeting and talking with yall!
The following users liked this post:
DaveGS4 (08-21-19)
Old 08-21-19, 12:08 PM
RCF4DAD
Driver

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Beechbum12
Hi Guys,

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong place, First post and time on this type of site and with forums.
I just purchased a 2015 RCF with super low miles (9k) and any tips for taking the best care of it maintenance wise for longevity would be appreciated.

1.) My biggest question pertains to the use of a K&N oil filter. Do y'all recommend it?
2.) Do y'all recommend a cold air intake upgrade? And if so, what type?

Looking forward to meeting and talking with yall!
Welcome to the Club;
There are a bunch of different theories and postings bout this, as well as other mods, go thru them when you have time.
Bottom line for me is that Lexus did a really good job on development and engineering with absolute Top grade materials and testing. Unless you are going to do a complete exhaust switch over, resonator delete etc....not sure that you see much if any difference in performance. My advice is drive the RC F for awhile, figure out your likes/dislikes and play with car to get comfortable with it's True potential with just Stock items. Start with a resonator delete for $150, gets a little louder and flow is a little bit better, if you want more and if you have $$ to burn, play to your hearts content, but Power costs $$, and sometimes/most times the true overall benefit is minimal. The RC-F was very close to the hearts of the engineers and a statement to the world, so they were pretty adept at making sure it was all Perfect for everyday performance driving.
Old 08-21-19, 12:11 PM
CAHWY128
Advanced

Received 346 Likes on 228 Posts

Welcome to the Forum.

There are bunch of threads regarding your questions. My understanding the stock air box is pretty good. I run an AFE dry reusable filter in mine with an RR racing heat shield.
Old 08-21-19, 12:31 PM
Miggie
Pit Crew

Received 122 Likes on 63 Posts

welcome! do you have any pics!?
Old 08-21-19, 12:47 PM
Beechbum12
Driver School Candidate

Here are the only pics I have had time to take. I have looked at some of the ones y'all have on here and they are super fricken nice! I have been dreaming for this car for a few years now! Ill take any advice I can get!
UFOHunter (09-22-23)
Old 08-21-19, 12:48 PM
SoSlow
Pole Position

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Welcome to the forum. I don't know of anything unusual for maintenance. If you are not familiar with Toyota\Lexus, they use a canister style oil filter where you just replace the filter membrane. If you are a DYI person, you can pick up a tool to remove the cap. Other than that, the rest is pretty typical. Generally thought is the stock intake is hard to beat performance wise. There are a couple options out there if you choose to swap it out. Mostly cosmetic and for noise. Personally , I went with the AEM kit for the carbon fiber and lifetime dry filter. If removes the intake flap, so you have a louder intake sound throughout the rev range, but it covers the corner to pull air from lower instead of the engine bay. Sure they claim it make horsepower, but I doubt it.

Enjoy your new car, it's a blast to own. What car are you coming from?

Old 08-21-19, 01:05 PM
Beechbum12
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the info! I will look at the AEM but am leaning towards just slapping a K&N in the factory air box for cost savings lol. I came from a an IS250 ( got rear-ended so had to upgrade). I love this car already probably way too much. The thing that pisses me off the most is the lack of the drop down sunglasses holder .
Old 08-21-19, 01:08 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,503 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Welcome. RCF already has a stock cold air intake and lots of induction noise so it is definitely where you won't see a drastic change power wise or sound wise. The most well known first mod for the RCF, is a full catback exhaust as RCF comes with a very restrictive exhaust with a very small diameter to meet stringent emission standards. Putting a free flowing full exhaust, will dramatically change the car's noise and also give great power gains especially in the high revs. That would be the first mod I would recommend.
The following 2 users liked this post by 05RollaXRS:
Beechbum12 (08-21-19), SoSlow (08-22-19)
Old 08-21-19, 01:21 PM
RCF4DAD
Driver

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts

[QUOTE=Beechbum12;10593641] just slapping a K&N in the factory air box for cost savings lol.

Then save your $$, higher end car deserves higher end performance parts. If saving money, then RC-F stock air box is already way better than the k&n, as are most OEM parts in this car. I'm with Rolla, want noise, get a cat back exhaust.
Beechbum12 (08-21-19)
Old 08-21-19, 06:09 PM
buister
Pit Crew

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

Welcome. The first thing I did to mine was lowering it. You will like the way it looks (I sound like the tuxedo guy).
Old 08-22-19, 06:03 AM
OldManRCF
Driver

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

intake wise, just upgrade the filter to Toms or something similar and you will have accomplished all you can on that front. The intake is an engineering marvel that shouldn't be messed with. As mentioned above, Full Exhaust is the most bang for buck on performance gain, but you have to be ready to sacrifice the quiet sounds of a Lexus and move into the exotic to full on muscle car sound. Regarding maintenance, check the manual. Beautiful F, welcome aboard.
Beechbum12 (08-22-19)
Old 08-22-19, 06:38 AM
scrmnws6
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Congrats on your purchase. Where in TX?
Old 08-22-19, 08:41 AM
Sit
Rookie

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Congratulations on your new RC F and thanks for the pic. Lots of good info here.
Old 08-22-19, 12:51 PM
Beechbum12
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy

Originally Posted by buister
Welcome. The first thing I did to mine was lowering it. You will like the way it looks (I sound like the tuxedo guy).
I wish I could lower it, but unfortunately I live in Dallas and the streets are complete ****...
Old 08-22-19, 12:52 PM
Beechbum12
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by scrmnws6
Congrats on your purchase. Where in TX?
Thanks! I am in Dallas area

Quick Reply: Extremely NEW RC F owner and forum user