RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

RCF a highway beast

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-19 | 12:02 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Default RCF a highway beast

Today, I went outside the city to another city to check out an RX400h I have been shopping around for. I decided to take my RCF through the highway. Along the way, I came across some circa 2006 - 2008 C6 Corvette (not sure if it was a GS or not) turning on to the highway. They make 420 - 430 HP stock and this one seemed to have a loud exhaust.

Approaching the merge, I was already holding in 3rd gear at around 5500 rpm (70 mph or so) and we both gunned it at the merge. He had a very loud exhaust and his V8 was much louder as my high-rev V8 was more high-pitched screamer to his burly/rumbly V8 sound. Bottom line, he could not pull away from me. I actually reeled him back in while in 4th gear until we both shut it down.

Was very surprised I hung in there since I was expecting to see how much he pulls away as those 2-seat C6 Corvettes are only 3400 lbs so they have a big weight advantage. My theory is, the gearing was really the big equalizer. At higher speeds, as they say, it is all about high rpm powerband and gearing.

Just thought I share this fun story.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 09-25-19 at 07:15 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by 05RollaXRS:
KOOLFELLA (09-22-19), RCF4DAD (09-21-19), signdetres (09-24-19), siredward (09-24-19)
Old 09-21-19 | 07:29 PM
Viplatinum
Driver School Candidate

Show them were not to be push around lol
Old 09-22-19 | 06:28 AM
647TTA
Rookie

The 2005-2007 C6 Corvette only had the 400 horsepower LS2 and the 2005 had the carry over 4 speed transmission instead of the 6 speed which makes a huge difference. The LS3 came out in 2008 with 430 horsepower. I just sold my 2008. I really love the RCF, but it is no where near keeping up with my 2008 automatic at just about any speed. Last time I had it at the track it ran 3 12.32 - 12.39 runs at 118 back to back in almost a boring way. Just point it and floor it, though it is a little unsettling when it breaks the tires loose shifting into 3rd gear and the back end slides a little sideways.

Last edited by 647TTA; 09-22-19 at 06:35 AM.
Old 09-22-19 | 10:04 AM
Viplatinum
Driver School Candidate

Congratulations on your zo6 that car just in different class compared to our rcf lol....but i still love it
Old 09-22-19 | 11:52 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

You might be right. I put the disclaimer in the original post that there are quite a few unknowns. I don't know which version of the 6th gen. I just knew it was a C6 that was a manual and had a very loud exhaust (not sure if it was OEM exhaust or not). I am not stock either as I have a full exhaust system on with piping of 2.8 inches. On the RCF, a full exhaust adds around 18 - 20 whp especially at the top end of the powerband. I mentioned highway beast because it was a rolling start from ideal powerband in my RCF and the gearing favors higher speed accelerations so I cannot say much about quarter mile..

Originally Posted by 647TTA
The 2005-2007 C6 Corvette only had the 400 horsepower LS2 and the 2005 had the carry over 4 speed transmission instead of the 6 speed which makes a huge difference. The LS3 came out in 2008 with 430 horsepower. I just sold my 2008. I really love the RCF, but it is no where near keeping up with my 2008 automatic at just about any speed. Last time I had it at the track it ran 3 12.32 - 12.39 runs at 118 back to back in almost a boring way. Just point it and floor it, though it is a little unsettling when it breaks the tires loose shifting into 3rd gear and the back end slides a little sideways.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 09-22-19 at 12:50 PM.
Old 09-22-19 | 12:24 PM
Viplatinum
Driver School Candidate

I have 2 car try me too 17 mustang 5.0 n charger
Both have very loud exhuast lol.....mustang roll on 50 n side by side til 3rd close redline n i start pulling n he step on his brake... charger took a jump but never pull away so i would say even race but he only want to try one time smh...
My rcf carbon fiber package drop, rracing intake, tps full catback system...
Old 09-24-19 | 03:22 PM
RCF4DAD
Driver

I've had a LOUD Camaro SS tease me until the passing lane, then blew by him, passengers face was WTF. Audi S5 and Mustang GT at the same time on Stony Trail in Calgary, pulled away and kept on it. Other RC's but always a RC350, not knowing. No Corvettes yet. I think more often than not, they are surprised!? Caught off guard of what the RC-F actually is and what it can do, I'm surprised frankly. I enjoy the 'sleeper' creeper mode of the RC-F.
The following users liked this post:
05RollaXRS (09-24-19)
Old 09-24-19 | 03:31 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RCF4DAD
I've had a LOUD Camaro SS tease me until the passing lane, then blew by him, passengers face was WTF. Audi S5 and Mustang GT at the same time on Stony Trail in Calgary, pulled away and kept on it. Other RC's but always a RC350, not knowing. No Corvettes yet. I think more often than not, they are surprised!? Caught off guard of what the RC-F actually is and what it can do, I'm surprised frankly. I enjoy the 'sleeper' creeper mode of the RC-F.
True. Normally I ignore any challenges since most of the time my wife and daughter are with me especially with the bright Orange color. This time, I was headed to Olds, Alberta on Deerfoot somewhere past Airdrie where I had this encounter as I was curious to see if I could hang with it?
Old 09-24-19 | 03:40 PM
Viplatinum
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RCF4DAD
Yeah i know what you mean they think the rcf its nothing unitl they realize what it can really do on the highway....there an rs4 loud n had a big front mount intercooler i mean it look bad n ready to whip *** on the highway....so he try me n i give it a shot boy he was shock after the drop 50 i start to pull away lol....n have few like Maserati driving slow n after i cruise pass him n he gun it like no tomorrow im like okay lol...cobra just look drive by box mustang too...havent had one in awhile now...
Old 09-24-19 | 03:47 PM
Viplatinum
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
True. Normally I ignore any challenges since most of the time my wife and daughter are with me especially with the bright Orange color. This time, I was headed to Olds, Alberta on Deerfoot somewhere past Airdrie where I had this encounter as I was curious to see if I could hang with it?
Yeah im with you on that too if i have my family's i drive like an old man lol.....nice bro....mind white with carbor roof n spoiler n drop...look like any lower car lol..... but people be eyes me on highway n trying see what kind car is it , thumb up n stuff....
Old 09-24-19 | 07:18 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Viplatinum
Yeah im with you on that too if i have my family's i drive like an old man lol.....nice bro....mind white with carbor roof n spoiler n drop...look like any lower car lol..... but people be eyes me on highway n trying see what kind car is it , thumb up n stuff....
Old 09-24-19 | 10:39 PM
Fysisist
Pole Position

Mustang GT guys are the most persistent. They inevitably have headers and loud as hell. I've yet to be overtaken by a mustang from the line or on the highway. For the most part they don't know what they are dealing with and I've had more than a couple say that they thought the RC F was a six banger, nothing to take seriously. Always amusing when you see them in the rear view... My experience with vettes is older white-haired retired guys, tooling around and no interest in taking a run at me, with a few exceptions.

Last edited by Fysisist; 09-24-19 at 10:43 PM.
Old 09-25-19 | 06:10 AM
Viplatinum
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Fysisist
Mustang GT guys are the most persistent. They inevitably have headers and loud as hell. I've yet to be overtaken by a mustang from the line or on the highway. For the most part they don't know what they are dealing with and I've had more than a couple say that they thought the RC F was a six banger, nothing to take seriously. Always amusing when you see them in the rear view... My experience with vettes is older white-haired retired guys, tooling around and no interest in taking a run at me, with a few exceptions.
Omg Seriously I agree lol......thats whats up .....my always been roll second gear......n yes 17 model always want to try n some slowly roll up on you n slow pass on highway when im cruising around .....true they think my f sport too v6 ...now i see why some would get F n F sport thinking its the same...
Old 09-25-19 | 08:23 AM
buister
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Fysisist
In my experience, the Charger/Challenger guys are much worse than the Mustangs. I think because their exhaust is louder. The problem is these cars have so many sub-models, so with a quick look you can't tell right away which one is a dog and which is a beast.
Old 09-25-19 | 03:02 PM
Viplatinum
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by buister
In my experience, the Charger/Challenger guys are much worse than the Mustangs. I think because their exhaust is louder. The problem is these cars have so many sub-models, so with a quick look you can't tell right away which one is a dog and which is a beast.
Yea i know right i try one but he took the jump n never pull away i quess even race but never want to try again lol....i havent meet any vett yet.....only 350, stang, Maserati, charger, ......

Quick Reply: RCF a highway beast