RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Lexus RCF track edition in 'Road and Track' performance car of the year

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-19 | 11:33 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Default Lexus RCF track edition in 'Road and Track' performance car of the year

Just read it over the net that RCF track edition is taking part in the R&T 'track edition'. Supra is in there as well.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...y-2020-lineup/

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 09-24-19 at 11:47 AM.
Old 09-25-19 | 07:32 AM
vbb

I'm very interested to see how this turns out. I think we all know the RCF is not going to beat out the McClaren, Hurrican, C8 or GTR in terms of pure performance, but I am interested to see how it stacks up overall. These competitions are interesting because putting a Miata and Veloster up against a McClaren in any test seems totally ridiculous, but it is good to know how much more performance around a track you're getting for the price. Plus, I'm really curious to see the direct comparison of numbers between the C8, Supra and RCF since they're roughly in the same price bracket (understanding that the tack edition that'll be tested is not the regular RCF).
The following users liked this post:
05RollaXRS (09-25-19)
Old 09-25-19 | 07:57 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

M2 Competition as well. Should be very interesting to see what they come up with.

Originally Posted by vbb
I'm very interested to see how this turns out. I think we all know the RCF is not going to beat out the McClaren, Hurrican, C8 or GTR in terms of pure performance, but I am interested to see how it stacks up overall. These competitions are interesting because putting a Miata and Veloster up against a McClaren in any test seems totally ridiculous, but it is good to know how much more performance around a track you're getting for the price. Plus, I'm really curious to see the direct comparison of numbers between the C8, Supra and RCF since they're roughly in the same price bracket (understanding that the tack edition that'll be tested is not the regular RCF).
Old 09-25-19 | 08:04 AM
BretTravis
Rookie

At my last local group track day there was a beautiful McClaren. Almost everyone thought it was deep black; but, when the sun hit it just right I could tell it was the deepest darkest purple. I have to admit I felt some pride getting the reluctant wave by after having to slow through every turn and then loosing ground on the straights.
Old 09-25-19 | 08:55 AM
vbb

Originally Posted by BretTravis
At my last local group track day there was a beautiful McClaren. Almost everyone thought it was deep black; but, when the sun hit it just right I could tell it was the deepest darkest purple. I have to admit I felt some pride getting the reluctant wave by after having to slow through every turn and then loosing ground on the straights.
You were clearly the better driver...because the McClaren should have been way in front of you. So yes, you should feel pride!
Old 09-25-19 | 09:43 AM
Gearbangin
Lexus Test Driver

I got two dogs in that fight Im torn.
Old 09-25-19 | 10:18 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Gearbangin
I got two dogs in that fight Im torn.
Either way, it is great to see two TMC high performance cars going head to head. Never thought the day would come.
Gearbangin (09-25-19)
Old 09-25-19 | 05:37 PM
Johnny Mayday
CL Town Crier

This should be interesting. Obviously, there's a lot of talk about how expensive it is... I actually drove it a couple weeks back, and it was cool, but it doesn't feel like 100k. For that price, they really needed to give it more power, in my opinion.
GunnyFitz (09-26-19)
Old 11-04-19 | 09:12 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Objectively, RCF performed well. Here are the lap times. I have not read the full detail subjective opinions, but they did not place both the Supra or RCF high. They did not feel Supra was a rewarding car at the limit. They said RCF was overly stiff and not refined enough. It exhibits some on-limit understeer despite the lightened front end. I guess, they should have kept the TVD.

I believe, Supra was eliminated first, M2 Competition next and then the RCF was third to be eliminated.

Veloster won the overall performance car of the year.

Mazda Miata RF 1:34.64

Hyundai Veloster N 1:31.44

Toyota Supra 1:28.93

Lexus RC F Track 1:27.56

BMW M2 Competition 1:26.91

Lotus Evora GT 1:25.35

Nissan GT-R Nismo 1:23.80

Porsche 911 Carrera S 1:23.08

Chevrolet Corvette 1:22.83

McLaren 600LT 1:20.42

Lamborghini Huracán Evo 1:20.00

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 11-04-19 at 10:14 PM.
Colt45ccg (11-17-19)
Old 11-05-19 | 05:03 PM
MoarLow
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Objectively, RCF performed well. Here are the lap times. I have not read the full detail subjective opinions, but they did not place both the Supra or RCF high. They did not feel Supra was a rewarding car at the limit. They said RCF was overly stiff and not refined enough. It exhibits some on-limit understeer despite the lightened front end. I guess, they should have kept the TVD.

I believe, Supra was eliminated first, M2 Competition next and then the RCF was third to be eliminated.

Veloster won the overall performance car of the year.

Mazda Miata RF 1:34.64

Hyundai Veloster N 1:31.44

Toyota Supra 1:28.93

Lexus RC F Track 1:27.56

BMW M2 Competition 1:26.91

Lotus Evora GT 1:25.35

Nissan GT-R Nismo 1:23.80

Porsche 911 Carrera S 1:23.08

Chevrolet Corvette 1:22.83

McLaren 600LT 1:20.42

Lamborghini Huracán Evo 1:20.00
That corvette time, daymmnn.
The following 2 users liked this post by MoarLow:
BS ISF (11-07-19), lobuxracer (11-07-19)
Old 11-14-19 | 07:20 AM
CAHWY128
Advanced

I just got back to this. The Veloster N won? I read the whole test and I get where they are coming from. I just could never own one. I bet none of the testers buy one.
Old 11-14-19 | 10:50 AM
sensai
Advanced

May have missed it but didn't see a link to the results. https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...r-of-the-year/

"The Lexus RC F was out of its depth in this company, but we adored the car’s audacity, its snorty V-8 and too-stiff chassis. It’s a perfect caricature of a Dodge Challenger: great and hilarious, but unrefined and outshined"

"But there’s not much Supra here—none of the name’s legendary solidity and brawn—or even much Toyota. The chassis and driveline are shared with the BMW Z4; the badge on the hood has a BMW part number. The interior smells like a BMW. And despite the Toyota-specific suspension and driveline tune, the car suffers from the same maladies that plague most modern BMWs"
Old 11-14-19 | 11:02 AM
CAHWY128
Advanced

Plus the Veloster N has a manual. My previous WRX STI had a manual and it seemed like anytime I took it anywhere here in California I would get stuck in some horrible traffic jam and have to slog miles at 5 MPH putting the clutch in and out. I would get home and could not walk.

I swore living in California I would never own a manual again. If I lived in some remote area with no traffic I could do a manual. My Miata is a manual and I have to be very careful when I drive it not to get caught in traffic. So I do get drawn back to the manuals, they are fun. I bought it after I got the RCF.

My point is the results of the tests are fun, but you really have to buy the car that works for you. Being a Miata fan boy, ( Have owned 3 of them) I would take the Miata over the Hyundai and the RCF over both of those.

If they let me pick one for free, I would take the McLaren....LOL