RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Engine oil capacity wrong

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-20, 11:06 PM
sensai
Advanced

Received 657 Likes on 227 Posts

no lexus dealership for me even if they are offering free services. forget that. recalls yes but i'm not looking for any free problems, thank you.

sounds of speed and exact motorsports in the sf bay area gets all of my business. sorry if that's not allowed here but wanted to recognize real good knowledgeable people running local, honest businesses. and they never overfill anything.
Old 01-22-20, 01:31 PM
adreano17
Advanced

Received 107 Likes on 58 Posts

Went through this a few months ago. I too saw alarming levels (over only a bit). Discussing this on the facebook group confirmed there are changes between the 2015 manual and later years.

When talked to the master mechanic at Lexus, they advised the marginal difference and the tolerable range. I asked if it was a silent error, and he said it may be an extra baffle in the oil pan/engine in later years (plausible, but maybe not). They offered to drain it a bit, but he mentioned due to oil consumption, it will go down anyway since it is a high performance engine. Which is also plausible.

I currently have a full warranty still on the car, so I am not concerned about it. Moving forward, I will be changing my own oil to the appropriate spec. As mentioned, this appears to be a silent error on Toyota's part. To put in perspective, I haven't heard of any engine failures due to this. That being said, I am not as worried about it as I once was.
Old 01-23-20, 11:58 AM
bob67
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by adreano17
Went through this a few months ago. I too saw alarming levels (over only a bit). Discussing this on the facebook group confirmed there are changes between the 2015 manual and later years.

When talked to the master mechanic at Lexus, they advised the marginal difference and the tolerable range. I asked if it was a silent error, and he said it may be an extra baffle in the oil pan/engine in later years (plausible, but maybe not). They offered to drain it a bit, but he mentioned due to oil consumption, it will go down anyway since it is a high performance engine. Which is also plausible.

I currently have a full warranty still on the car, so I am not concerned about it. Moving forward, I will be changing my own oil to the appropriate spec. As mentioned, this appears to be a silent error on Toyota's part. To put in perspective, I haven't heard of any engine failures due to this. That being said, I am not as worried about it as I once was.
1. There ain't no extra baffles between RCF years that's causing oil differnet levels! That's bs!
2. Oil will go down anyway since it is a high performance engine. That's bs!
3. I am concerned about oil levels. Multiple times dealership has filled oil over 1 inch over full mark on dipstick, that's enough to be concerned about for me!
Old 01-23-20, 05:50 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

I agree with you.

Overfill causes foaming and the engine will not get the proper lubrication.

Originally Posted by bob67
1. There ain't no extra baffles between RCF years that's causing oil differnet levels! That's bs!
2. Oil will go down anyway since it is a high performance engine. That's bs!
3. I am concerned about oil levels. Multiple times dealership has filled oil over 1 inch over full mark on dipstick, that's enough to be concerned about for me!
Old 02-05-20, 01:14 PM
Burgher2
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I just purchased a 2015 RCF from Lexus of Jacksonville and checked the oil based on this thread. Found it was overfilled by at least a quart. Lexus of Jacksonville was pretty rude when I asked them about it. They stated they highly doubt the service department would over fill the oil. I even sent them photos of the overfilled oil and a few other issues they over looked in there “multi point” inspection. I decided to take it into Lexus if Winter Park and they fixed the issue free of charge.

I am thankful Lexus of Winter Park is my local dealer.

Thanks for posting.
Old 03-04-20, 09:27 PM
ct6978
Intermediate

Received 171 Likes on 100 Posts

In addition to the mistake in the service data for early years, our engines take a while to drain fully. I've tested it a few times myself after I got repeated overfills from a tech I trust. I had to have both the drain plug and filter cover open at the same time, for much longer than I expected to get close to 9.3Q out. These days, if the dealer's doing it, I give them 8 1/2Q and tell them not to add any more. If needed, I top it off later.

Overfills are very common everywhere. Last week I took my wife's IS to a local dealer and gave them the 6Q of oil it takes....the tech helpfully added an extra 1/2Q (no idea why, its specd for 6) and luckily told the service manager who told me, so I showed the shop foreman before leaving. This week I took in a RAV4 to another dealer, checked the level at home, and ended up taking 1Q out. This doesn't just happen at Toyota/Lexus dealers, I've had this happen at various makes over the years based on sloppy work or the tech just looking at the wrong year.

Keep in mind, service techs are human, they'll make mistakes, they're under a lot of pressure to finish the jobs fast, most customer will never check, and the techs don't care as much as you do about your car.

If I'm not doing the oil change, I always try to check the level before leaving. I also invested in an extractor, only takes a few minutes to remove a quart with minimal effort or mess. Dealers often offer to drain the excess, but who's to say they'll get it right on the 2nd try.....

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GU0MMU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GU0MMU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Old 03-05-20, 11:22 AM
bob67
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by ct6978
In addition to the mistake in the service data for early years, our engines take a while to drain fully. I've tested it a few times myself after I got repeated overfills from a tech I trust. I had to have both the drain plug and filter cover open at the same time, for much longer than I expected to get close to 9.3Q out. These days, if the dealer's doing it, I give them 8 1/2Q and tell them not to add any more. If needed, I top it off later.

Overfills are very common everywhere. Last week I took my wife's IS to a local dealer and gave them the 6Q of oil it takes....the tech helpfully added an extra 1/2Q (no idea why, its specd for 6) and luckily told the service manager who told me, so I showed the shop foreman before leaving. This week I took in a RAV4 to another dealer, checked the level at home, and ended up taking 1Q out. This doesn't just happen at Toyota/Lexus dealers, I've had this happen at various makes over the years based on sloppy work or the tech just looking at the wrong year.

Keep in mind, service techs are human, they'll make mistakes, they're under a lot of pressure to finish the jobs fast, most customer will never check, and the techs don't care as much as you do about your car.

If I'm not doing the oil change, I always try to check the level before leaving. I also invested in an extractor, only takes a few minutes to remove a quart with minimal effort or mess. Dealers often offer to drain the excess, but who's to say they'll get it right on the 2nd try.....

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Yea, service techs are human, but it's the money making dealership that makes them work so fast that details are forgotten. My dealership services over 300 cars a day, I'm just a small token to be reckoned with, then be gently pushed out quickly, (of course with nice smile on their face), so that they can work on another car to make their daily quota.
You know they are going to fast when a rcf service receipt states they have rotated my tires front to back!
Lexus service advisors get paid more by numbers, ($'s), than by the quality of service provided!
Old 03-05-20, 06:37 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 608 Likes on 405 Posts

The oil pan and dipstick tube are different part numbers for the 2015 RC F compared to the 2016-on.

The 2015 RC F used the same oil pan as the IS F (which also lists a capacity of 9.3L) while vehicles that use the newer pan (2016+ RC F, GS F, and LC500) all list the lower capacity of 8.8L.

It would seem to me that the oil capacity is in fact higher for 2015’s compared to 2016-on RC F’s.

For what it’s worth, and of course the owner’s manual also says this, the value given is a reference value only. The level should be checked using the dipstick 5 minutes after running the engine.

I also gotta say, I don’t know many techs that would take the time to look at the repair manual to get the lube capacity. They’re going to fill it to a certain amount and then check the dipstick probably right after running the engine. I suspect you’ll find the same overfilling happening on newer cars too.

Jeff

Last edited by Jeff Lange; 03-06-20 at 10:30 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jeff Lange:
ba2sy (06-17-23), CAHWY128 (03-06-20)
Old 03-06-20, 09:45 AM
jstring
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just got mine back from 60k maintenance—it's ~½ over. Going to evacuate the excess myself. Dang, I wonder how long this has been happening and I just never knew.
Old 03-07-20, 06:12 AM
jstring
Driver School Candidate

I pulled about a half quart out and it's reading maybe ¼ over now. I feel better. Will probably pull the remainder. I did the soap dispenser w/ tubing through the dipstick tube. Was pretty easy.
Old 03-09-20, 08:08 AM
ct6978
Intermediate

Received 171 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by jstring
I pulled about a half quart out and it's reading maybe ¼ over now. I feel better. Will probably pull the remainder. I did the soap dispenser w/ tubing through the dipstick tube. Was pretty easy.
Quick, cheap, and easy!

I did buy a larger excavator after a few messy accidents when I was removing about a quart... Much faster and less risk of mess, but can't beat the soap dispenser for availability and portability.

Old 03-09-20, 09:19 AM
jstring
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ct6978
Quick, cheap, and easy!

I did buy a larger excavator after a few messy accidents when I was removing about a quart... Much faster and less risk of mess, but can't beat the soap dispenser for availability and portability.
Checked oil this morning (cold)..dipstick was bare. Drove it 2 miles to the store, read at normal. Should I be concerned? 100% sure I didn't pull too much. I took out ~half a quart, stick was reading closer to a quart high Saturday morning when I did this. I try checking cold & warm to be sure it's good. Thoughts?
Old 03-09-20, 05:35 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,970 Likes on 2,403 Posts

Originally Posted by jstring
Checked oil this morning (cold)..dipstick was bare. Drove it 2 miles to the store, read at normal. Should I be concerned? 100% sure I didn't pull too much. I took out ~half a quart, stick was reading closer to a quart high Saturday morning when I did this. I try checking cold & warm to be sure it's good. Thoughts?
Did you follow the protocol in the factory service manual? Get the oil up to temperature, shut the engine off and wait 5 minutes to check? Doing anything else will be inconsistent.
Old 03-09-20, 05:59 PM
jstring
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Did you follow the protocol in the factory service manual? Get the oil up to temperature, shut the engine off and wait 5 minutes to check? Doing anything else will be inconsistent.
Hard no. Not when it was "low"..but today I found that, followed it, and the level is spot on.

Thanks for the reply. Interesting—I was reading all of your posts today about the kickdown switch. Happy to say mine is very sensitive (wondering if previous owner already modded?) or if I just don't notice, but I'm fairly confident I get WOT when I want it.
Old 03-11-20, 04:05 PM
Fysisist
Pole Position

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by SoSlow
Lexus overfilled my 2015 by almost a quart.
Same here, twice as a matter of fact.

Quick Reply: Engine oil capacity wrong