RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

For those who have done the Resonator Delete mod...

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-19, 10:01 AM
SC430inVA
Pit Crew

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts
Default For those who have done the Resonator Delete mod...

I have done a lot of google searching on exhaust mods for the RCF and most of the hits come back to Club Lexus. A lot of the posts are from a couple of years back, so not sure if those resonator delete pioneers are still on the forum. For those of you still around that have performed this exhaust change, I have a few questions:

Do you still like the exhaust note that was achieved from the res delete?

Do you still have the res delete setup yet it leaves you wanting for more?

Have you changed your existing res delete setup for a different exhaust?

If yes, did you go cat back?

If yes, did you go axle back?

If yes, did you go mid-pipe only?

If yes, in hindsight, would you have foregone the res delete and gone straight for an aftermarket exhaust?

Thanks in advance for your insight.
Al
Old 11-26-19, 10:27 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,465 Likes on 1,771 Posts

Here are some videos I used back when I was considering it. Maybe, it might be helpful. I went for a full exhaust to get a much more richer sound experience and the HP gain was a very nice bonus (did not care much since I don't race anyone).

The following 2 users liked this post by 05RollaXRS:
1wacko (11-27-19), IS_250 (11-26-19)
Old 11-26-19, 10:30 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 687 Likes on 605 Posts

Get a full catback from the beginning!

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 11-26-19, 12:31 PM
SC430inVA
Pit Crew

I have heard most, if not all of the video sound clips found online, but it is sometimes difficult to make a decision based on headphones or computer speakers I found those sound clips here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rc-...-videos-2.html

I have also listened to many other sound clips of other aftermarket exhausts on my computer, but again, not the same as hearing it in the wild.

My preference for an exhaust note is low end growl/ bass/rumble. I have had banshee like sound effects at high rpm's on other cars I've owned, my fav being a supersprint x-pipe and Tubi cans on an E39 M5. My taste has changed over the years and most of my driving in the RCF is/will not be in the upper rpm register. I am old and sophisticated now, hehehehe, ok, just old. I have seen pics of the stock exhaust and it's easy to see how restrictive it is for air flow.

So tell me Josh, based on your experience, what exhaust would fit my taste? One more question, are the stock tips bolt-on such that they could be transposed on another muffler tail pipe? I haven't crawled under my RCF as yet.

Al
Old 11-26-19, 05:09 PM
Bluecarbon
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Current res delete guy here. It’s sounds great. Burbles, throaty, occasional pops, louder but not too loud, no drone. Recommend it if you want some noise before eventually going catback. My plan is a full straight pipe setup though so it’ll be much different then anyone else.
The following users liked this post:
IS_250 (11-26-19)
Old 11-26-19, 09:15 PM
IS_250
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

My wifes RCF, has a complete 2.5" mandrel bent midpipe with the OEM flanges reused. The resonators are deleted with an h-pipe added. IMO, the sound is perfect and this is how it should have came stock.

My ISF has deleted secondary cats and resonators replaced with magnaflow magnapacks to the OEM stock mufflers. Its pretty damn loud. Makes me appreciate the RCF alot more.
Old 11-27-19, 04:39 AM
SC430inVA
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by IS_250
My wifes RCF, has a complete 2.5" mandrel bent midpipe with the OEM flanges reused. The resonators are deleted with an h-pipe added. IMO, the sound is perfect and this is how it should have came stock.

My ISF has deleted secondary cats and resonators replaced with magnaflow magnapacks to the OEM stock mufflers. Its pretty damn loud. Makes me appreciate the RCF alot more.
Interesting solution. Do you have a pic of the custom mid-pipe per chance. I guess the extra cut/welds on the flanges were done to eliminate chance of fitment/leaks?
Old 11-27-19, 10:10 AM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

I've done the resonator delete to an otherwise stock exhaust system and love it. It retains the deep, smooth tone of the stock exhaust but with a little more volume. It's not loud enough to startle anyone when you start the car, but people will absolutely know from the sound that it ain't an ordinary Lexus. I've started it and left it idling in the garage or driveway and gone back inside the house for something and you can hear the low rumble well inside of the house.

I vary between wanting just a little more and being satisfied with the sound. I have identified the sound of the Joe Z PTS catback exhaust as my absolute favorite aftermarket system. As mentioned in another thread though, I'm particular about retaining as close to the stock exhaust look as I can. That (and the price tag) has kept me on the fence a bit. I had the Joe Z exhaust on my previous ISF and loved it.
Old 11-27-19, 01:14 PM
BlueRCF10
Intermediate

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts

Res delete here also and enjoy it. I wish it was slightly throatier but I'm fine with this. Not a huge difference in my opinion though but just enough to satisfy me.
Old 11-27-19, 01:23 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

If you want to keep the stock muffler, you can do a resonator and secondary cat delete. This is how it will sound. There are no sensors attached to the secondary cat so it is easy to remove

Old 11-27-19, 06:49 PM
picklebush
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

But will it void the warranty?
Old 11-27-19, 07:10 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by picklebush
But will it void the warranty?
If there is no issue, there is no warranty issue. If you delete resonator and secondary cats then it does not effect the A/F ratios since there are no sensors on them.
Old 11-27-19, 11:56 PM
moahdriven
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Have the res delete for over 6 months now. Def adds a bit to the exhaust, though not as much as I thought it would, but quite noticeable on a cold start. Also kinda hard to tell from inside a Lexus cabin how loud it is outside, but you can appreciate the slight bump in volume.
I've thought about a full catback but just wanna entirely avoid any potential sensor issues; also thought about secondary cat deletes, but living in Cali I worry about attracting police attention; it's nice being able to drive by without a second look.
Overall I am happy with the res delete. Was cheap and makes the car sound the way it should've stock. Aggressive enough to appreciate, but not obnoxious and still retains that Lexus cache. A lot of friends who have heard it from outside think it sounds perfect as is with the Res delete. Easy enough to do, and if you want more you can decide on an option from there.

Last edited by moahdriven; 11-28-19 at 12:03 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Limelight (11-28-19)
Old 12-13-19, 05:37 PM
JayLexin
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
If you want to keep the stock muffler, you can do a resonator and secondary cat delete. This is how it will sound. There are no sensors attached to the secondary cat so it is easy to remove

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMDBi-Lu7RE
thank you for this example, sounds great and what I plan to do. Coming from a FBO 2IS 350 F Sport with drone delux. I am going to enjoy the 2UR without drone central. I will be happy with Res delete...as for the secondary cat delete, I doubt this has any bearing on sound, rather slightly better exhaust gas flow, right ?