RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

BMW to Lexus again

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-19, 11:47 AM
doog442
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BMW to Lexus again

Is this sensible and any similar stories ?

I'm looking at trading in a 2018 BMW 340i, straight six, fully loaded , owned since new and 7k miles on the clock for a 2016 RCF with 16k on the clock. Cost to change in UK money is about £8k so about $10k at the current exchange rate.

My recent history has been Lexus IS200 to BMW 135i
BMW 135i to Lexus IS200T
Lexus IS200T to BMW 340i.

I've always lusted after the RCF and now three year old examples are coming into my price range. That said would you bin a twelve month old car for a three year old specimen? I mean the 340i is a fully capable machine but I recall when I retrospectively sold a 12 month old Mazda 6 for a three year old Lexus IS200 the salesman / family / friends thought I was slightly loony tune.

My family are struggling to comprehend my decision making process. No finance involved as I'm a cash buyer so its not a case of jumping from one finance deal to another and I guess thats smudging the issue. .
Old 11-27-19, 12:06 PM
CAHWY128
Advanced

Received 345 Likes on 227 Posts

Well ...lol ....this is the RCF forum so I am going to say buy the RCF.

I will also say, I was kind of jumping around with cars for a couple of years, and now that I own the RCF I plan to keep it for a long while. Unless I go broke and then I will sell it to feed the family.
The following users liked this post:
bbowaralk (07-10-23)
Old 11-27-19, 12:36 PM
doog442
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CAHWY128
Well ...lol ....this is the RCF forum so I am going to say buy the RCF.

I will also say, I was kind of jumping around with cars for a couple of years, and now that I own the RCF I plan to keep it for a long while. Unless I go broke and then I will sell it to feed the family.
Haha... I think the issue is probably psychological.

I've never done finance other than to get the finance 'discount' and then pay it off. So its taken me an age of bringing up kids, putting them through university, paying off the mortgage and then slowly working my way to be able to purchase a new car with no finance and a decent car with it but not on the same level as an RCF. I have now the opportunity to use the equity in that vehicle to get me into an F.....

Trust me I can see my vision but everyone around me is struggling with it :-)

Old 11-27-19, 12:42 PM
CK9887
Pole Position

Received 57 Likes on 28 Posts

Definitely go for the RCF. I just don't find the BMW's nearly as aesthetically pleasing as the RCF's. The BMW interiors have always looked extremely bland and outdated. The RCF will also outperform a 340I. Reliability also goes to the RCF. As far as the price difference, resale will be higher on the RCF in the long run, so I'd bet you'd get a return on most of that money that you're coming out of pocket.

I really don't know of any category where the BMW has an edge over the RCF. To me, the RCF is better in literally every way.
Old 11-27-19, 01:11 PM
BlueRCF10
Intermediate

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts

Is this a trick question by any chance?

BUY IT! Can't go wrong here. I had BMW's and Porsche's.... and here I am, with a RCF
doog442 (11-27-19)
Old 11-27-19, 01:15 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,473 Likes on 1,778 Posts

Of course, I would be biased and say, go for the RCF. I have owned it for 2.5 years and never looked back even when I have to park it underground for 4 months in a year. When I get to experience the driving, it makes all of the expenditure and lack of volume use worth it. If you can find one, I would recommend carbon fiber/TVD especially on the small and twisty UK roads. The best part is the high-revving V8. It is a gem and a lot of fun to rev out to just under 7500 rpm especially once you put a full aftermarket exhaust on it.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 11-27-19 at 01:20 PM.
doog442 (11-27-19)
Old 11-27-19, 01:54 PM
doog442
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BlueRCF10
Is this a trick question by any chance?

BUY IT! Can't go wrong here. I had BMW's and Porsche's.... and here I am, with a RCF
No trick..just need that shove. I was nearly in an F before getting the bimmer and then got an offer I couldn't refuse as BMW over here really do a job in selling cars. Lexus not so much, they have such a small market share over here so must be propped up elsewhere as they rarely move on screen price. RCF's tend to stay in dealers for months on end at inflated prices. There are only 200 in the country.
Old 11-27-19, 01:59 PM
BlueRCF10
Intermediate

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by doog442
No trick..just need that shove. I was nearly in an F before getting the bimmer and then got an offer I couldn't refuse as BMW over here really do a job in selling cars. Lexus not so much, they have such a small market share over here so must be propped up elsewhere as they rarely move on screen price. RCF's tend to stay in dealers for months on end at inflated prices. There are only 200 in the country.
Well that's exactly why you need to get one then. Get it off that lot, and have a rarity at a great price! blessing in disguise.
Old 11-27-19, 03:30 PM
sensai
Advanced

Received 657 Likes on 227 Posts

Yes, I would make that swap in a heartbeat. But I'm a TMC (toyota motor corp) zealot with five in the stable so biased. It really depends on what you're looking for in your next ride. When I was shopping 6 months ago I looked at all makes/models at ~$65k US cash. And obviously came back to Lexus RC F which was a natural fit. I got a great price for much less than budget and have been enjoying using the surplus budget to mod the car.

Build quality, reliability and a V8 are paramount to me. Some people like to use a scalpel (V6 turbo) but I like to use a hammer (V8). Get the reference? I accept the fact that the RC F isn't rated as the fastest, best handling nor have the ideal infotainment system in its class BUT I don't have the usability or reliability issues everyone I know has with other makes/models. The car is also simply a joy. Full stack and I've put 6,000 joy ride miles in 6mo. The look and lines, the luxury and comfort, the driving experience including the sound they pipe into the car, the heads it turns..."whoa what's that?", the..., the..., the,...etc.

And the car is underestimated and underrated imo; which I'm totally cool with. No problem being the underdog and don't forget the driver mod. That gets those naysayers a lot of the time.

Last edited by sensai; 11-27-19 at 03:39 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by sensai:
05RollaXRS (11-27-19), BossMoss (01-08-20)
Old 11-28-19, 09:44 AM
doog442
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the replies. A quick update.

The car is at a main Lexus dealer. Its a 2016, however its missed its first year 2017 service, instead was serviced 5 months later in March 2018 at 6000 miles. It was then serviced in October 2019 at 15K.

I believe the price has probably been adjusted for this however. They've confirmed the car will still have a Lexus warranty. So in effect its one service short over 36 months.

Any thoughts on the service history. ?
Old 11-28-19, 10:46 AM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

Thanks for the replies. A quick update.

The car is at a main Lexus dealer. Its a 2016, however its missed its first year 2017 service, instead was serviced 5 months later in March 2018 at 6000 miles. It was then serviced in October 2019 at 15K.

I believe the price has probably been adjusted for this however. They've confirmed the car will still have a Lexus warranty. So in effect its one service short over 36 months.

Any thoughts on the service history. ?
The service history should not scare you off. As long as they perform all of the services due before you buy it and leave the warranty intact, you should not worry at all.
doog442 (11-28-19)
Old 11-28-19, 11:01 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

What are the specs on it? Was the HPFP recall work done on it?
Old 11-28-19, 11:13 AM
doog442
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
What are the specs on it? Was the HPFP recall work done on it?
Yes recall was done.

The car is here https://belfast.usedcars.lexus.co.uk...UNROOF-t7b7f4p

Old 11-28-19, 12:14 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Yes recall was done.

The car is here https://belfast.usedcars.lexus.co.uk...UNROOF-t7b7f4p
Very clean example. Not sure it says 2014 when the first model year was 2015 and you said it was a 2016 (the exhaust tips are of a 2016 so it must be). Low miles. Has the rear spoiler with some sort of a vinyl wrap that looks like carbon fiber or something. Does not have carbon/TVD package. Also, the hood vent has some sort of a wrap on it.

p.s. They put 2250 KG gross max weight as curb (or kerb) weight (which is 1800 KG) LOL

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 11-28-19 at 12:20 PM.
Old 11-28-19, 12:43 PM
doog442
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Very clean example. Not sure it says 2014 when the first model year was 2015 and you said it was a 2016 (the exhaust tips are of a 2016 so it must be). Low miles. Has the rear spoiler with some sort of a vinyl wrap that looks like carbon fiber or something. Does not have carbon/TVD package. Also, the hood vent has some sort of a wrap on it.

p.s. They put 2250 KG gross max weight as curb (or kerb) weight (which is 1800 KG) LOL
Cheers mate .No TVD / Carbon as you say and reflected in the price ...The RCF adverts over here seem to show the model number as 2014 no matter what the plate. Interesting point about the vinyl wrap on the spoiler and hood vent . Is that not stock? Someone pointed out the dent / crease in the rear headrest...if you look close you can see it. The dealer is getting it looked at ?

The problem I have is that I'm buying blind as I'm a plane flight away yet the price for the year is pretty decent. I've had vids but I guess there's nothing better than seeing it in the flesh.

Quick Reply: BMW to Lexus again