RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Auto Transmission Issue at 33k

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-19, 10:33 AM
Lammyyy
Pole Position

Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Moisture
You're destroying your transmission shift solenoids by driving like a teenager and going full throttle all the time. I'd suggest taking your car to a transmission shop and stop treating your car like this before you completely destroy the transmission. For you to have this sort of problem with 30k miles is absolutely shameful.
My friend and I both drive like we stole the car and we're at 50k and 60k respectively with no issues lololol
The following 2 users liked this post by Lammyyy:
Mingofish (12-30-19), vraa (12-30-19)
Old 12-30-19, 11:49 AM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 358 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Lammyyy
My friend and I both drive like we stole the car and we're at 50k and 60k respectively with no issues lololol
Absolutely shameful!
The following users liked this post:
Ne1tHeRe (12-30-19)
Old 12-30-19, 12:12 PM
Fysisist
Pole Position

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

I pretty much drive the hell out of mine and at 75K miles, the car is like, "is that all you got??" I only drive in S+ unless I'm on the highway for over 30 miles or so. Do a lot of driving in manual mode. I haven't had any transmission service at all, have had no transmission issues either. I do have a pause or delay in the 4th to 5th shift, but that goes away after the first couple of shifts when driving cold. So far I'd say the car is pretty bullet proof under at least fairly aggressive driving. On the other hand I'm on top of all services and maintenance. Maybe I missed something but I don't see any recommended services for the trans. Sealed and all that.
vraa (12-30-19)
Old 12-30-19, 12:19 PM
Lammyyy
Pole Position

Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by vraa
Absolutely shameful!
those track days are no joke! haha
Old 12-30-19, 12:33 PM
chris07is
Pole Position

Received 92 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Lammyyy

lol...that's how it's supposed to be driven...lol
1wacko (01-01-20)
Old 12-30-19, 12:43 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Haha. Me too.

I'm at some 65K miles now. I had the recommended spark plugs change at around 60K miles. I also did the usual engine oil change and etc. In addition I asked the Lexus dealership to do a transmission fluid exchange and a rear differential oil change. All good and NO ISSUES.

Yesterday I did my front brake pads change myself using the pads I ordered from Rock Auto (Power Stop Evolution Sport Z23-1440 carbon fiber ceramic pads) for under $50 a set for the front. I reused the sensor wires. I was down to 3 mm and there was just a faint line on the rubber part of the brake sensor on the driver side. I reused the original rotors and still measured above minimum thickness. I can say it works well for me since I don't track my RCF.

Incidentally over a year and half ago at another Lexus dealership (far far away when I was traveling) when I took my RCF in for the high pressure fuel pump recall, they said ALL of my brake pads were at 2 mm and needed changing along with the rotors. I was quoted a price of like $4600!!! I told them no. Then I looked at it myself and there were plenty of pads left. Fast forward to about four months ago where I was at a big SoCal Lexus dealership (back home now), they asked if I had my pads changed already bc they measured my pads with like 5 mm !!!! My God, they grew??? I told them to measure again and they came back with the same!!! So the previous Lexus dealership a year and half ago was not honest at all!!!! WTF!!!

BTW, the front pads I changed out were OEM (I bought my RCF CPO from the same big SoCal Lexus dealership with some 18xx miles back in October 2015). It lasted me some 60K miles (mostly highway miles).

Originally Posted by Fysisist
I pretty much drive the hell out of mine and at 75K miles, the car is like, "is that all you got??" I only drive in S+ unless I'm on the highway for over 30 miles or so. Do a lot of driving in manual mode. I haven't had any transmission service at all, have had no transmission issues either. I do have a pause or delay in the 4th to 5th shift, but that goes away after the first couple of shifts when driving cold. So far I'd say the car is pretty bullet proof under at least fairly aggressive driving. On the other hand I'm on top of all services and maintenance. Maybe I missed something but I don't see any recommended services for the trans. Sealed and all that.

Last edited by lexusrus; 12-30-19 at 07:08 PM.
vraa (12-30-19)
Old 12-30-19, 05:25 PM
Mingofish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 330 Likes on 231 Posts

^^^ called stealerships for good reason

interested in your review of those pads once they’re bedded.
Old 12-30-19, 05:51 PM
Ne1tHeRe
Instructor

Received 111 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Could it be that the transmission fluid was not properly warm? The fluids take forever to get up to temperature. The transmission cold in manual or auto mode feels herky, jerky, slow and upshifts sometimes abruptly at 5000 rpm even in manual mode with torque converter fully locked/disabled still refuses to downshift/rev-matches etc. Once it is fully warmed up, it becomes properly snappy and aggressive.
No, it was plenty warm when it occurred.
Old 12-30-19, 05:51 PM
Ne1tHeRe
Instructor

Received 111 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Mingofish
^^^ called stealerships for good reason...
Amen to that, Brother!
Old 01-01-20, 08:12 PM
BrennanH
Driver School Candidate

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Ne1tHeRe
Well, as we know the auto tranny can have a delay and/or be jerky at certain RPMs. We know that manual mode helps with some issues. There have been a couple times before in full auto “S” mode that when I mash the gas pedal, there is big delay/hesitation (almost like complete fuel cut) before the power kicks in.
I had my logs sent to Lexus NA because of this, and because my car wouldn't upshift (*NOT DOWNSHIFT*) randomly at highway speeds when the transmission was cold (within 5 mins of startup, happened to me numerous times). Lexus NA claims my transmission is acting normally and they cant find any issues with it.

TBH, I think they are partly right. The "fuel cut feeling" which I get probably every other day in sport mode, is just the stupid transmission being in 4th-6th gear and taking forever to downshift. Why does "sport" mode hit 5th gear at 30mph? You've freaking stumped me. But it does. And unless you are getting on it, the transmission is programmed to shift softly in sport mode, even when you're using the paddles / in manual mode.

I really like this vehicle, despite its obvious drawbacks and its sales pitch as a M3 competitor when its really a GT car (which I knew before I bought it) which made it get destroyed in the press. However, the transmission programming is by far its biggest downfall. It drives me nuts. MB doesn't have these issues with their slushboxes. Go drive an AMG car, especially one with the old 7 spd (an M156 C63 or E63). It doesnt have this constant damn issue of hunting for gears... its an older transmission and not nearly as fast as ours technically is, but the programming is so much less invasive.

Anyway, sorry about my rant. Keep us updated, I've never gone into limp mode. But I have had other transmission issues I think are real (when the car wouldnt upshift at highway speeds) but Lexus NA claims they are normal.
Old 01-02-20, 01:34 AM
chris07is
Pole Position

Received 92 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Safety feature???

This is crazy....my transmission, wouldn’t down shift when the oil temp is not warm enough yet... I’ve tried many times, I guess it’s a safety feature not to harm transmission and the engine...
Old 01-02-20, 04:01 AM
picklebush
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by lexusrus
Fast forward to about four months ago where I was at a big SoCal Lexus dealership (back home now), they asked if I had my pads changed already bc they measured my pads with like 5 mm !!!! My God, they grew???.
I need some if those self growing pads!
Old 01-02-20, 06:41 AM
TOPHER9425
Pit Crew

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Mingo,

I've used these same pads on my front/rear of my RCF.....and paired them with RR Racing 2-piece rotors. No complaints here
Old 01-02-20, 07:36 AM
BrennanH
Driver School Candidate

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by chris07is
This is crazy....my transmission, wouldn’t down shift when the oil temp is not warm enough yet... I’ve tried many times, I guess it’s a safety feature not to harm transmission and the engine...
Yep.... But mine wouldn't UPSHIFT. It's nuts.
Old 01-02-20, 11:22 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,484 Likes on 1,788 Posts

Originally Posted by chris07is
Yes, it does not. The redline when you start out cold, is around 4500 rpm. It slowly works it way up to 7300 rpm and can take up to 20 mins or so to properly warm up. If you try to downshift even at modest speeds, the rev range is so small that even downshifting at slower speeds puts the downshift outside the allowable speed range. There are lots of safety mechanisms in place when the transmission is cold, which I guess Lexus did for longevity.

I don't use auto mode for two reasons. One is that the torque converter only deactivates in sport+/manual mode and I want to avoid the slushbox feel. Also, the auto mode has artificial intelligence that learns from the driver's driving habits and adapts accordingly including using the G-sensors, which is very unpredictable as it does not factor in sudden change in driving patterns.

Once it is warmed up and in manual/sport+ mode, it is a phenomenal transmission with the torque converter locked up. From someone who has been driving 6 speed manuals for 20 years and does his own heel-toe/rev-matches etc., I don't miss manual while driving the RCF as I only use manual mode in the RCF (but, I definitely keep a 6 speed manual car for the purpose of doing my own rowing).

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 01-02-20 at 11:27 AM.

Quick Reply: Auto Transmission Issue at 33k