RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Auto Transmission Issue at 33k

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-19, 07:25 AM
Ne1tHeRe
Instructor

Received 111 Likes on 107 Posts
Default Auto Transmission Issue at 33k

Well, as we know the auto tranny can have a delay and/or be jerky at certain RPMs. We know that manual mode helps with some issues. There have been a couple times before in full auto “S” mode that when I mash the gas pedal, there is big delay/hesitation (almost like complete fuel cut) before the power kicks in.

Yesterday, I was on the way home driving in Sport full auto mode. I made a right turn at a light and went full throttle. The car did the same hesitation while the gears dropped to a lower gear...but then it acted like it went into limp mode. I tried accelerating but would barely go and rpms barely went up. Tried switching to manual mode and same thing. I was NOT happy at that moment. Drove slowly back home and just parked in the garage. Decided to wait until the next morning to troubleshoot but was weighing on my mind the whole time. I don’t do well when things don’t work like they are supposed to

In my head I am analyzing the situation and going through all scenarios about what it could be. I am **** about taking care of my car and getting all required maintenance completed when it is due. I know oil is still good and so is the level. Air intake filter is good and recently cleaned at my last maintenance visit (30k miles...at 33k now). Transmission fluid was flushed/replaced at last visit which cost me extra so that is still good as well as the level. Spark and ignition should be fine. Battery and alternator should still be fine...no issues with electricity/charge that is apparent. Brakes or suspension would not cause this issue.

At this point, I am thinking fuel pumps or tranny ECU programming...then I decided I would start with the most basic and go from there: ECU reset.

This morning I went out and disconnected the battery. Pressed on the brake pedal and waited for 60 seconds. Reconnected and tried to turn on the car but it stalled. Looks like the computer needed to reinitialize. I waited until it finished and then the car started up fine. Put it in reverse, pulled out of garage, left the car there running to sufficiently warm up while I went back inside to eat bfast.

After waiting about 10 mins, I went back outside and got in. Reprogrammed the seat setting in memory. Engine temp display was showing arrow at the normal middle spot so took the cat out for a spin for analysis. Car was in full auto “S” mode and I immediately noticed it was shifting better and the RPMs were increasing like normal. Good sign. Slowly drove down the road trying to see if any volatility or erratic behavior with engine and/or transmission. Nothing. Good sign. At the end of the one road and knowing that the tranny oil was sufficiently warm, I started to increase my acceleration. Feeling good/normal. At this point, I am still hesitant to fully lay into it with the fear of the previous issue reoccurring. I decide to go for it. Acceleration is strong with no flux/hesitation. Now I can breathe a sigh of relief and thank God that it is driving normal again

I did the ECU reflash at the dealer a while ago and no noticeable change but still have the recall notification about the HPFPs. At some point, I will take it in for that and let the tech know about what recently happened with the car. Maybe at the 35k service.

Really weird what occurred and even weirder was that there was no CEL during/after it occurred. Weirder still is an ECU reset seems to have alleviated my issue.

Any thoughts or has anyone had this happen as well?

Last edited by Ne1tHeRe; 12-28-19 at 07:33 AM.
Old 12-28-19, 08:39 AM
bob67
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

Was not aware that the brake pedal had to be pressed for ECU reset, nice to know!
Why transmission change so soon? I would consider it at about 60,000 miles or so, but may not, since I don't trust the Lexus mechanics to do it right. Heck, they if in five tries, have never filled the oil to the right level, so why trust them to change out the transmission oil, which I can't check for accuracy?
I'm at 40,000 miles, and no problems at all. My last 10 cars have always been traded in after 2-3 years, but like my RCF so much I may keep it longer, but still looking at the 2020 Corvette or LC500 for the future.
Old 12-28-19, 10:24 AM
Ne1tHeRe
Instructor

Originally Posted by bob67
Was not aware that the brake pedal had to be pressed for ECU reset, nice to know!
Why transmission change so soon? I would consider it at about 60,000 miles or so, but may not, since I don't trust the Lexus mechanics to do it right. Heck, they if in five tries, have never filled the oil to the right level, so why trust them to change out the transmission oil, which I can't check for accuracy?
I'm at 40,000 miles, and no problems at all. My last 10 cars have always been traded in after 2-3 years, but like my RCF so much I may keep it longer, but still looking at the 2020 Corvette or LC500 for the future.
I think you misunderstood...

I am at 33k and I still have my original transmission. Issue seemed to resolve itself after ECU reset.

Also, brake pedal just helps to speed up depletion of any power stored in reserve capacitors...not necessary/mandatory to do.
Old 12-28-19, 10:31 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,484 Likes on 1,788 Posts

You can also turn on headlights manually when the battery is disconnected to deplete the reserves.
Old 12-28-19, 11:02 AM
Ne1tHeRe
Instructor

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
You can also turn on headlights manually when the battery is disconnected to deplete the reserves.
yes, basically anything that requires/draws power.
Old 12-29-19, 07:04 AM
Mingofish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 330 Likes on 231 Posts

Will, was car low on gas? 1/4 tank or less ?
When on track I never run sessions with less than say 1/3 tank.
In high G’s the fuel gets slung to the side and the pump starves which gives you fuel cut symptoms.
On street with the gas tank super low and you sling a corner fast can give you same symptom I assume, although I’ve never experienced on the street myself. Only. On track.

Old 12-29-19, 07:26 AM
Moisture
Lead Lap

Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts

You're destroying your transmission shift solenoids by driving like a teenager and going full throttle all the time. I'd suggest taking your car to a transmission shop and stop treating your car like this before you completely destroy the transmission. For you to have this sort of problem with 30k miles is absolutely shameful.
Old 12-29-19, 07:57 AM
Ne1tHeRe
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mingofish
Will, was car low on gas? 1/4 tank or less ?
When on track I never run sessions with less than say 1/3 tank.
In high G’s the fuel gets slung to the side and the pump starves which gives you fuel cut symptoms.
On street with the gas tank super low and you sling a corner fast can give you same symptom I assume, although I’ve never experienced on the street myself. Only. On track.
Nope, plenty of gas.

Originally Posted by Moisture
You're destroying your transmission shift solenoids by driving like a teenager and going full throttle all the time. I'd suggest taking your car to a transmission shop and stop treating your car like this before you completely destroy the transmission. For you to have this sort of problem with 30k miles is absolutely shameful.
Haha...okay Grandpa Troll. First off, You have no clue how I drive and, second, I bought an RCF, not an LS
Old 12-29-19, 08:06 AM
Moisture
Lead Lap

Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts

You know theres people out there with 5-10x more mileage then you do and their transmission shifts fine, right?
Old 12-29-19, 08:38 AM
Ne1tHeRe
Instructor

Originally Posted by Moisture
You know theres people out there with 5-10x more mileage then you do and their transmission shifts fine, right?
You do know you are a Troll, right?

Every car is perfect and there a no defects or gremlins that ever come up, right?

But thanks for being completely unhelpful...back on topic.

Last edited by Ne1tHeRe; 12-29-19 at 08:42 AM.
Old 12-29-19, 12:21 PM
Ne1tHeRe
Instructor

Update: So transmission gremlin seems to have gone back into hibernation after ECU reset. Hoping it does not rear its ugly head again. Will bring it up with the head mechanic at the dealership next time I am there.
Old 12-29-19, 04:17 PM
chris07is
Pole Position

Received 92 Likes on 66 Posts

Good thing the reset worked, but I suggest to take to a lexus mechanic, just to make sure that everything is cool.
Old 12-29-19, 08:26 PM
tuscani66
Pit Crew

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

Glad you were able to get the gremlins to go away, but fearful its temporarily, curious on why the long wait on the fuel pump recall??

If its time or opportunity, they will give you a loaner, shouldn't have your car for more than 2 days or so (depending this schedule of course).
Old 12-29-19, 10:17 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Maybe now the ambient temperature is colder and your transmission fluid level is below a certain level to trigger all your issues?

I would get it checked out ASAP at the Lexus dealership. Also to get the recall done on the high pressure fuel railings. You know the Lexus dealership will fill up your gas tank whenever you take it in for any factory recalls. So go into the Lexus dealership on an empty gas tank!!!

​​​​​​

Originally Posted by Ne1tHeRe
Update: So transmission gremlin seems to have gone back into hibernation after ECU reset. Hoping it does not rear its ugly head again. Will bring it up with the head mechanic at the dealership next time I am there.
Old 12-29-19, 11:02 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,484 Likes on 1,788 Posts

Could it be that the transmission fluid was not properly warm? The fluids take forever to get up to temperature. The transmission cold in manual or auto mode feels herky, jerky, slow and upshifts sometimes abruptly at 5000 rpm even in manual mode with torque converter fully locked/disabled still refuses to downshift/rev-matches etc. Once it is fully warmed up, it becomes properly snappy and aggressive.

Quick Reply: Auto Transmission Issue at 33k