RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Brake rotors.

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-20, 05:57 PM
kukudm
Pit Crew

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
They feel like OEM, dust like OEM, and occasionally squeak like OEM for a whole lot less than OEM pads. I bedded them in, it went pretty quickly without any issues at all. I would not track with these pads, I don't think they're up to that kind of use and would likely fade much more quickly than OEM, but for DD duty - groceries, kids, commuting, they're just fine.
Thanks for sharing your feedback! Since the Z23 pads are labeled "Ceramic", I find it surprising that they feel like OEM, which has very decent initial bite. Other than DD duties, would you recommend them for occasional spirited driving?
Old 02-18-20, 07:18 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,082 Likes on 2,474 Posts

Not sure I'd recommend them for a canyon run. Maybe, depends on your driving abilities, and your ability to contain your exuberance. When I broke them in, it didn't take a lot to get the transfer layer going on them compared to the OEM pads.
Old 02-19-20, 07:41 AM
Onsit
Driver

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

Rockauto has a closeout right now for $40-50 a rotor. It's not brembo, and it's not centric, it's a chinese aftermarket. For a daily driver, it's just fine. Paired with Centric/Stoptech (same company) PosiQuiets, it's a great combination for DD duty. Heck for track use $40 rotors are JUST fine. Invest that money in better fluid, better pads.

If you actually track your car, or autox ... proper pads will help with brake fade. The cost benefit of fancy drilled/slotted/ curbed vane rotors is very low. It's a wear item.

End of the day. Its the quality of rubber on your wheels that makes your car stop. You can have the fanciest rotors, and pads, but if your tires are oldAF your brake distance suffers. Fancy rotor designs to shed heat, and fancy pad designs that have higher thermal application only really matter in track like scenarios. If you are heating your brakes, and getting them to smoke on public roads - well, best of luck to you and be safe. Even then, most track drivers go with BLANK rotors cheap from Autozone/Napa with a warranty. That you beat the hell out of, and get free replacements on. Proper track pads DESTROY rotors. So you can sit there and **** your money away on fancy DBA, Brembo rotors that make zero difference and don't hold up any better or you can funnel that money towards tires, fluids, and pads.

Last edited by Onsit; 02-19-20 at 07:51 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Onsit:
lobuxracer (02-21-20), MCB1970 (02-20-20)
Old 02-19-20, 06:11 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Thanks for the info.

I tried to order these, but due to some UNIQUE Republic of California rules (Prop 65), they are not allowed to ship to a California address!!! WTF!!! Please see below screenshot.

Originally Posted by Onsit
Rockauto has a closeout right now for $40-50 a rotor. It's not brembo, and it's not centric, it's a chinese aftermarket. For a daily driver, it's just fine. Paired with Centric/Stoptech (same company) PosiQuiets, it's a great combination for DD duty. Heck for track use $40 rotors are JUST fine. Invest that money in better fluid, better pads.

If you actually track your car, or autox ... proper pads will help with brake fade. The cost benefit of fancy drilled/slotted/ curbed vane rotors is very low. It's a wear item.

End of the day. Its the quality of rubber on your wheels that makes your car stop. You can have the fanciest rotors, and pads, but if your tires are oldAF your brake distance suffers. Fancy rotor designs to shed heat, and fancy pad designs that have higher thermal application only really matter in track like scenarios. If you are heating your brakes, and getting them to smoke on public roads - well, best of luck to you and be safe. Even then, most track drivers go with BLANK rotors cheap from Autozone/Napa with a warranty. That you beat the hell out of, and get free replacements on. Proper track pads DESTROY rotors. So you can sit there and **** your money away on fancy DBA, Brembo rotors that make zero difference and don't hold up any better or you can funnel that money towards tires, fluids, and pads.
Old 02-19-20, 06:14 PM
Onsit
Driver

You might be able to get away with using a shipping forwarding service. But maybe this is why there is currently a closeout - large number of GS-F/RC-F owners are in CA. Resulting in quite the shippable surplus for RockAuto and PartsGeek.

I ordered an extra set, this is way too cheap to pass up.
Old 02-19-20, 06:33 PM
MrJeager
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusrus
Thanks for the info.

I tried to order these, but due to some UNIQUE Republic of California rules (Prop 65), they are not allowed to ship to a California address!!! WTF!!! Please see below screenshot.

$30 per rotor?? are you kidding me? This has to be a joke. I'm going to go check it out right now!
Old 02-19-20, 06:36 PM
Onsit
Driver

Oh it's very much a real deal. Just installed these over the weekend.

Brake rotors.-fhn9gyjl.jpg

Last edited by Onsit; 02-19-20 at 06:39 PM.
The following users liked this post:
MCB1970 (02-20-20)
Old 02-19-20, 06:42 PM
MrJeager
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

I just put in the order for all four - wow CAD260 all in. Ill just stuff them into my condo locker! Thank you for the find!!
Old 02-19-20, 06:52 PM
Onsit
Driver

Originally Posted by 3IS350Guy
I just put in the order for all four - wow CAD260 all in. Ill just stuff them into my condo locker! Thank you for the find!!
At first I wasn't sure why these were so cheap, couldn't really find a spec sheet for them. I figured maybe, they happen to be the same diameter - but possible smaller thickness?

Upon receiving them I checked thickness with 34mm for the fronts, which is exactly what the Brembo spec was. So these are 1:1 cheap Chinese rotors. Perfect for DD.
Old 02-19-20, 08:09 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

$22 and change for the rear each plus shipping.

Originally Posted by 3IS350Guy
$30 per rotor?? are you kidding me? This has to be a joke. I'm going to go check it out right now!
Old 02-20-20, 08:38 AM
MCB1970
Pit Crew

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Purchased a complete set. Cannot beat the price! Thanks for posting Onsit!
Old 02-23-20, 06:06 AM
jstring
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just jumped on this and bought the full set. Will be pairing with Power Stop Z23s.
The following users liked this post:
MCB1970 (02-23-20)