RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Brake rotors.

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-20, 06:31 PM
badboylex
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Brake rotors.

Where is the best place to buy OEM rotors for our cars that want break the bank or my savings account lol..Thanks
Old 01-28-20, 08:08 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

I measured my front OEM rotors and was still within tolerance so I just cleaned and reused them. I put on new pads (carbon fiber ceramic) from Rock Auto for around $50 or less for the front pads. I bought a can of brake cleaning fluid and some synthetic brake lub from a local AutoZone store . I also reused the OEM brake sensors. But I bought some aftermarket brake sensors for around $5 to $8 each.

It was easy to change out the pads.

BTW, If you REALLY want OEM rotors .... Then check out one of the CL sponsors:

https://www.mylparts.com/v-2015-lexu...--front-brakes

There is a discount coupon code somewhere on CL. I can't remember bc it was a few years ago when I ordered from them.

OEM is more expensive. Front rotors are around $251 EACH (so you will need X2). Front pads are $365 for a set of two (includes the wear sensors). Rear rotors and pads are on that website....

Originally Posted by badboylex
Where is the best place to buy OEM rotors for our cars that want break the bank or my savings account lol..Thanks

Last edited by lexusrus; 01-28-20 at 11:07 PM.
The following users liked this post:
badboylex (02-02-20)
Old 01-29-20, 10:21 AM
LoSt180
Advanced

Received 605 Likes on 329 Posts

I've ordered a few OEM parts from https://parts.belllexusnorthscottsdale.com
Right now they have front rotors listed for $185/ea. Rears cost a little more. I have a coupon code, but it expires on 2/2/2020, saves $10, use coupon code: 10

Centric rotors are another good option and cost less than OEM. Can get those from Rock Auto.
The following 2 users liked this post by LoSt180:
badboylex (02-02-20), RedHawk22 (01-15-22)
Old 02-05-20, 03:23 PM
badboylex
Pit Crew

Default Rotors

Centric hands down
RedHawk22 (01-15-22)
Old 02-05-20, 04:24 PM
Burgher2
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I used Bell Lexus of North Scottsdale for front brakes and rotors (GS350 F Sport) and multiple other purchases, but I went through there eBay store. I have had no issues and they ship quickly. Just purchased the illuminated door sills for my RC F and the cargo net for my wife’s NX from them this week.
Old 02-06-20, 05:59 AM
badboylex
Pit Crew

Default Brakes

Well I just got a sticker shock 866.40 for oem brake pads front and rear pads only...wow....help please..lol
Old 02-06-20, 07:44 AM
Burgher2
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

For OEM pads that is around the best price I could find before I purchased my RCF a few weeks ago. There are third party pads for less, but I haven’t done much research on those so I wouldn’t be any help. I know there are a few threads that could help on CL.

If you find OEMs for less let us know.
Old 02-06-20, 08:19 PM
ProfSCCA
Driver

Received 82 Likes on 33 Posts

Yes, great price on pads. The OEM pads are far superior in my opinion.
Just completed to usual 30K mile FRONT rotors and pads installed for $1200. Asked for the old parts and they were wrapped in paper in the trunk. SWEEEET deal.
I'll do my own brake work on my 67 Shelby and 70 Boss 302 vintage Trans Am cars. Glad the dealer handles the RCF fronts for me.

My RCF stickered at $82,000-- so simple math tells me that brakes are twice as much as a $41K car and about 3 times more expensive than a $25K Honda Accord.
$600 to replace spark plugs?...yep, it works out with the math.

Last edited by ProfSCCA; 02-06-20 at 08:23 PM. Reason: Typo. I hate typos!
05RollaXRS (02-06-20)
Old 02-06-20, 10:17 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,504 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Agreed. I love the OEM pads. I still have 6 mm front and 7 mm rears, but whenever they run out I will get OEM pads again.
Old 02-06-20, 10:30 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,082 Likes on 2,474 Posts

I put Powerstop Z23 pads in the wife's GS F (same calipers and rotors as the RC F) and it's difficult to tell the difference from OEM in normal street driving. I wouldn't even consider using these pads on the track or if I were driving the car as a daily (my IS F DD has RB two piece rotors and Project Mu HC+800s), but they work just fine for her and for me when I have occasion to drive the car. They're definitely NOT lightswitch quick like the Project Mu, but she's getting groceries and carting kids, not late braking from triple digit speeds routinely.

My only complaint with the Powerstop pads is there are definite inside and outside pads so the wear sensor is positioned correctly. The rears I received were all constructed to be right rear caliper pads. Not a huge deal, but disappointing to be sure.

The inexpensive wear sensors are OK. What you typically find is you only need to replace one sensor, the rest are still good. I'm not a fan of the knockoffs just because they're not very well made - the connector seals are pretty weak sauce - so I don't run them, I just replace the wire segment that is burned through and continue to use the OEM connectors. Lexus wants stupid money for the sensors if you buy them separately. They come with the pads if you buy OEM.
Old 02-11-20, 02:43 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

The spark plugs change was around some $6xx as I recall last year when I had it done at the Lexus dealership in SoCal. I looked into it and with all the wires and harness needed to be removed and put back in place........just too much hassle, time, aggregation, and irritation for me to do it myself.

Brakes on the other hand is EASY to do.

Originally Posted by ProfSCCA
Yes, great price on pads. The OEM pads are far superior in my opinion.
Just completed to usual 30K mile FRONT rotors and pads installed for $1200. Asked for the old parts and they were wrapped in paper in the trunk. SWEEEET deal.
I'll do my own brake work on my 67 Shelby and 70 Boss 302 vintage Trans Am cars. Glad the dealer handles the RCF fronts for me.

My RCF stickered at $82,000-- so simple math tells me that brakes are twice as much as a $41K car and about 3 times more expensive than a $25K Honda Accord.
$600 to replace spark plugs?...yep, it works out with the math.
Old 02-14-20, 12:21 PM
pakeeno
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Bought my set of CENTRICS and haven't had any issues on hard windy roads and hard braking. had it over a year and a half now and still no warping.

I bought my set from partsgeek

https://www.partsgeek.com/
Old 02-14-20, 02:45 PM
Fysisist
Pole Position

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

The OEM pads on my 2015 were Brembo? They had a good feel and performance but very very dusty. So I swapped out for Carbotech which I got in a CL group buy at $470 in late 2015. These have been awesome pads and I still have plenty of pad left at an unbelievable 75K mi. The rotors are holding up well with these pads. I figure when the time comes I'll go with Carbotech again I absolutely can't find anything to complain about with these.
Old 02-17-20, 11:52 PM
kukudm
Pit Crew

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I put Powerstop Z23 pads in the wife's GS F (same calipers and rotors as the RC F) and it's difficult to tell the difference from OEM in normal street driving. I wouldn't even consider using these pads on the track or if I were driving the car as a daily (my IS F DD has RB two piece rotors and Project Mu HC+800s), but they work just fine for her and for me when I have occasion to drive the car. They're definitely NOT lightswitch quick like the Project Mu, but she's getting groceries and carting kids, not late braking from triple digit speeds routinely.

My only complaint with the Powerstop pads is there are definite inside and outside pads so the wear sensor is positioned correctly. The rears I received were all constructed to be right rear caliper pads. Not a huge deal, but disappointing to be sure.

The inexpensive wear sensors are OK. What you typically find is you only need to replace one sensor, the rest are still good. I'm not a fan of the knockoffs just because they're not very well made - the connector seals are pretty weak sauce - so I don't run them, I just replace the wire segment that is burned through and continue to use the OEM connectors. Lexus wants stupid money for the sensors if you buy them separately. They come with the pads if you buy OEM.
@lobuxracer Can you provide any insights on how the Z23 pads would compare to the OEM (original non-alternative) pads? How's the initial bite? Did you do any bed in for those Z23 pads, if so were they able to engage ABS? Thanks!
Old 02-18-20, 01:41 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,082 Likes on 2,474 Posts

They feel like OEM, dust like OEM, and occasionally squeak like OEM for a whole lot less than OEM pads. I bedded them in, it went pretty quickly without any issues at all. I would not track with these pads, I don't think they're up to that kind of use and would likely fade much more quickly than OEM, but for DD duty - groceries, kids, commuting, they're just fine.

Quick Reply: Brake rotors.