RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Best RCF exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-20, 09:58 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,473 Likes on 1,778 Posts

Originally Posted by nigel821
Did you have the Invidia mid pipe as well or just the mufflers? Comparing the two did you have any drone with the Invidia?
I have Invidia I got over 3 years ago. Super happy with it. Zero drone. It is a full catback exhaust so the axle back would be much quieter. Invidia is already one of the quieter exhausts so I would not go with the axle back since you will regret it.

I really want something to open up the exhaust. I love cold starts on the stock exhaust. I wish it would just continue to sound like that, but then it gets quiet. Not looking for anything insane but I really really do NOT want cabin drone. I've been there done that and I am not doing it on this expensive of a car...lol

-Nigel
Invidia is around 20% louder than stock, but more importantly it makes the sound much richer and melodic almost like a symphony playing through a flute-like instrument when you roll the windows down.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 11-17-20 at 10:08 PM.
Old 11-18-20, 06:30 AM
nigel821
Racer

Received 769 Likes on 479 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
I have Invidia I got over 3 years ago. Super happy with it. Zero drone. It is a full catback exhaust so the axle back would be much quieter. Invidia is already one of the quieter exhausts so I would not go with the axle back since you will regret it.

Invidia is around 20% louder than stock, but more importantly it makes the sound much richer and melodic almost like a symphony playing through a flute-like instrument when you roll the windows down.

That's awesome then! I think this is the one I am getting. Just gotta decide if I want s/s or Titanium tips. I wish the titanium looked like the the fuji edition and was the matte look..lol

I read several reviews that people sometimes get a CEL because of the cat delete.. Has anyone experienced this? I have to get the car inspected/emissions here in VA so any CEL is an instant fail. Any issues with that or anyone having to do the o2 spacer mod?

Thanks,
-Nigel
Old 11-18-20, 06:56 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

I have the titanium tips and they look great in real life. They maintain their burnt blue look well after many years as well.

That is misinformation. It is only a secondary cat delete. Not primary cat delete. There is no sensor on the secondary cat delete so it is impossible for CEL to happen on a secondary cat delete. Every catback exhaust removes secondary cat. Not just Invidia. The CEL is usually caused if the front and back gaskets are installed incorrectly. They have a very small size difference, but it is a difference. If the installer puts the front one in the back and vice versa, it will cause a CEL. That is something to be careful of. Also, some people damage the O2 sensor while trying to take it out. That could also cause a CEL, As long as you take it to a trusted and well-reputed exhaust shop, it should take only 45 minutes to 1 hour to install.

That's awesome then! I think this is the one I am getting. Just gotta decide if I want s/s or Titanium tips. I wish the titanium looked like the the fuji edition and was the matte look..lol

I read several reviews that people sometimes get a CEL because of the cat delete.. Has anyone experienced this? I have to get the car inspected/emissions here in VA so any CEL is an instant fail. Any issues with that or anyone having to do the o2 spacer mod?

Thanks,
-Nigel
The following users liked this post:
nigel821 (08-26-21)
Old 11-18-20, 07:01 AM
Yri
Advanced

Received 145 Likes on 115 Posts

Invidia has more of a melodic sound to it, the Borla exhaust sounds like pure aggression, its loud tho. A good video to watch would be this one right here:

Edit: the sound clip showcasing the ROWEN exhaust is in 8 bit... lol

Last edited by Yri; 11-18-20 at 07:08 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Yri:
nigel821 (11-18-20), rtgrcf (03-06-22), yok3dIS (02-15-22)
Old 11-18-20, 07:53 AM
SUNNYRCF
Pit Crew

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts

I also have the Invidia with titanium tips and love the look and sound of the exhaust. It's a vast improvement over the stock sound, but not too loud. You want to do the cat back exhaust. The axle back would probably sound the same as stock. Borla does not make that exhaust anymore, so you would need to find a used one and it would be louder than the Invidia.
I installed the exhaust myself a year ago and have had no CEL or any issues. The CEL issue is caused by an exhaust leak where the exhaust connects to the headers before the O2 sensors. You need to use the gaskets that come with the Invidia exhaust and remove the OEM gaskets. The new exhaust uses flat gaskets and everything you need is included.
Old 11-18-20, 09:46 AM
nigel821
Racer

Arrow

Novel sounds insane... I love it! But I know after a while it's going to be TOO loud. Which would totally defeat the purpose of having this car..lol Plus I just looked up the price.. OMG!? Definitely not buying that. Way out of the price range....

I think Nvidia is the best honestly for what I am looking for. Not to offend anyone but I always associated Nvidia as a cheap exhaust. But I think I was wrong on that. The subie world is slightly different, now it's turning into a damn vape cambered out group :-( . I do like the titanium tips though. The more I look at it on people's RCFs on here, The more I like it. Adds a little bit of color in the back. Plus with the blue outlined F on the back for the badge it goes well together.

I have no problem working on the cars, exhaust work is not bad at all. I have a maxjax in my garage. Currently have our w211 on it because the stupid windshield washer pump/headlight pump and grommets were leaking so I replaced all of it.

I think the Nvidia is the one... now I have to resist modding. I told myself this would not happen, and here we go............. smh.

-Nigel
Old 11-18-20, 12:33 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

I think Nvidia is the best honestly for what I am looking for. Not to offend anyone but I always associated Nvidia as a cheap exhaust. But I think I was wrong on that. The subie world is slightly different, now it's turning into a damn vape cambered out group :-( . I do like the titanium tips though. The more I look at it on people's RCFs on here, The more I like it. Adds a little bit of color in the back. Plus with the blue outlined F on the back for the badge it goes well together.
Quality is great. At least, on RCF that is. It is a bargain for the price. After almost 3 years, still looks brand new. I clean the pipe with just vinegar Windex with paper towel and I avoid using any polish on the tips. Just use WD-40 and works like a charm every time. New and shiny again. Also, I have the option of making it louder by removing the resonators, but so far I really like how it has been sounding and don't want to mess up anything.

Here is my cold start video

This is a video of spirited run in Mexico I made after I got the stage 2 cold air intake so it has both CAI and full exhaust

Old 11-18-20, 12:41 PM
Yri
Advanced

Received 145 Likes on 115 Posts

Novel sounds insane... I love it! But I know after a while it's going to be TOO loud. Which would totally defeat the purpose of having this car..lol Plus I just looked up the price.. OMG!? Definitely not buying that. Way out of the price range....

I have no problem working on the cars, exhaust work is not bad at all. I have a maxjax in my garage. Currently have our w211 on it because the stupid windshield washer pump/headlight pump and grommets were leaking so I replaced all of it.

I think the Nvidia is the one... now I have to resist modding. I told myself this would not happen, and here we go............. smh.

-Nigel
Its absolutely insane that Novel charges $11,000 for a full exhaust set. Probably increases power but you could get a supercharger for that price, lol. Remember, try to do mods that will, if anything, leave the life of the engine and transmission intact or actually add to their life. Sticking twin turbos or a super huge displacement supercharger would add power, but it certainly would not help with reliability OR practicality.

Honestly, I think Invidia exhaust sounds the most reasonable. Its not too expensive and it sounds nice, probably quite the bargain if you ask me.
The following users liked this post:
nigel821 (11-18-20)
Old 01-03-21, 07:57 PM
JamesDean3
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ARK GRiP cat back cold start.

Last edited by JamesDean3; 01-03-21 at 08:55 PM.
Old 01-03-21, 08:02 PM
JamesDean3
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cold start ARK GRiP

ARK GRiP cold start.

Last edited by JamesDean3; 01-03-21 at 08:58 PM.
Old 01-03-21, 08:23 PM
iamnaeem
Pit Crew

Received 86 Likes on 39 Posts

I'm biased but my favorite is PPE EL headers paired with the Invidia catback.

The following 8 users liked this post by iamnaeem:
05RollaXRS (01-06-21), 504GSF (01-03-21), B Dot (01-06-21), BS ISF (01-07-21), JamesDean3 (01-03-21), javrabbit (01-06-21), Lend0 (01-07-21), Meraki Autoworks (01-03-21) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-06-21, 05:52 PM
BlacksRCF
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I’m also probably bias, but I love love love my ARH cat back with res deletes. Sound is nice and deep, no drone, loud but not overbearing and still sounding a little exotic (I owned a 2012 5.0 mustang years ago, this does not sound like that). Not to mention, there are very few of them running around, so you get that unique factor :^)
Old 01-06-21, 08:23 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BlacksRCF
I’m also probably bias, but I love love love my ARH cat back with res deletes. Sound is nice and deep, no drone, loud but not overbearing and still sounding a little exotic (I owned a 2012 5.0 mustang years ago, this does not sound like that). Not to mention, there are very few of them running around, so you get that unique factor :^)
Yeah, ARH sounds really good in the videos. That was also my criteria for selecting a full catback exhaust as well. It needed to have a rich, melodic and exotic-like tone.
Old 01-07-21, 07:48 PM
nigel821
Racer

Looks like the Invidia price went up everywhere. I am now seeing them just shy of $1500... Looks like it went up from the normal $1200 I've been seeing them at. That's annoying...lol

-Nigel
Old 01-07-21, 09:20 PM
Ghostsnake
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like the Invidia price went up everywhere. I am now seeing them just shy of $1500... Looks like it went up from the normal $1200 I've been seeing them at. That's annoying...lol

-Nigel
I bought mine on amazon. It said on backorder 2 weeks ago. But it shipped out today. $1130 free prime shipping.

Amazon Amazon

Quick Reply: Best RCF exhaust?