RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Best RCF exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-22, 04:30 AM
KennyFSU
Instructor

Received 335 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by dsko
This is a Japanese import I bought recently, still en route to me. I'm trying to figure out what the exhaust on it is. Anyone have an idea?

Thanks
That's the Apexi N1-X Evolution with Ti tips, I have the same, great exhaust.
The following users liked this post:
dsko (02-15-22)
Old 02-22-22, 12:14 PM
moahdriven
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

So I've had res delete for a while now but always felt it was a bit too muted. Unfortunately the wife feels 1k+ for a new exhaust is ridiculous, so just had the mufflers deleted,; the shop did a great job w/ Ypipes and using the stock tips.
It sounds phenomenal, though not as melodic as an LC500, feel like maybe Invidia w/ a straight midpipe would do that better; there is definitely cabin drone between about 1900-2400 rpm on acceleration; lots of good youtube videos comparing exhausts, but a great one comparing this to the Borla setup and volume is about the same.
I would personally have gone w/ RR's valved exhaust, but again, $$$
Old 02-22-22, 01:30 PM
nigel821
Racer

Received 778 Likes on 482 Posts

^, Yea I can't deal with drone at all. That was the main reason going with an Invidia. But I have heard that from other people who have done a resonator delete/muffler delete and also complained about the drone. I think the mufflers is what is causing it honestly.

I have a second Invidia mid pipe that I picked up. I'm going to take it to an exhaust shop and have them cut the resonators out of that one and then I'm going to swap the mid pipes since it's relatively pretty easy to do and just see how much louder if any it is. I can't imagine the resonators on the Invidia causing that much sound deadening but who knows. I do know that if I don't like it, someone will probably buy the midpipe since it seems like several people already cut the resonators out of theirs and really liked the sound. I just don't want to have drone in the cabin but at the same time I also don't want it to be obnoxiously loud which I don't think it will be. Someone said the sound increase was only like 10% or something like that which is hard to measure. I love the cold start and how it gets louder as you get on the throttle. But other wise it's very civilized.

-Nigel
05RollaXRS (02-22-22)
Old 02-22-22, 01:47 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,484 Likes on 1,788 Posts

Originally Posted by nigel821

I have a second Invidia mid pipe that I picked up. I'm going to take it to an exhaust shop and have them cut the resonators out of that one and then I'm going to swap the mid pipes since it's relatively pretty easy to do and just see how much louder if any it is. I can't imagine the resonators on the Invidia causing that much sound deadening but who knows. I do know that if I don't like it, someone will probably buy the midpipe since it seems like several people already cut the resonators out of theirs and really liked the sound. I just don't want to have drone in the cabin but at the same time I also don't want it to be obnoxiously loud which I don't think it will be. Someone said the sound increase was only like 10% or something like that which is hard to measure. I love the cold start and how it gets louder as you get on the throttle. But other wise it's very civilized.

-Nigel
I am really interested in hearing what your experience is? I love the Invidia the way it is as I have zero complaints in the last 3+ years, but I always wonder if it would make the exhaust more fun if I took out the resonator. I would really appreciate your input as it would avoid me taking out the resonator only to have it welded back in, in case I don't like it.
nigel821 (02-23-22)
Old 02-22-22, 03:23 PM
3ISRC
Intermediate

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts

^, Yea I can't deal with drone at all. That was the main reason going with an Invidia. But I have heard that from other people who have done a resonator delete/muffler delete and also complained about the drone. I think the mufflers is what is causing it honestly.

-Nigel
Keep us posted Nigel!
Old 02-22-22, 05:23 PM
moahdriven
Driver

-Nigel
Yea it's a good thing I held on to the resonators. MIGHT have them welded back in, but I've also heard clips of just muffler deletes and also sound pretty muted so...🤷
​​​Maybe I'll go with an aftermarket midpipe like a lot of guys do. On the plus side it encourages slow driving since putting the power down blows my ears out
Old 02-23-22, 07:31 AM
RRRacing
Sponsor

Received 1,401 Likes on 643 Posts

RR Racing developed the Valvetronic Bazooka axle back for Borla. Many of our customers loved the Borla but complained that it was too loud. At the time, RR Racing sold many axle back Valvetronic Bazookas for Borla. After Borla stopped making the exhausts for Lexus, we have sold many full catback that are very similar to Borla (same X pipe design), but better as it also includes our affordable and reliable Valvetronic Bazooka!

RR Racing Valvetronic Bazooka

It is clearly the most affordable best sounding exhaust for the money!

RR Racing
Email: Contact@RR-Racing.com
Phone: 484-756-1777
Facebook : Youtube

Old 02-23-22, 09:28 AM
nigel821
Racer

Received 778 Likes on 482 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
I am really interested in hearing what your experience is? I love the Invidia the way it is as I have zero complaints in the last 3+ years, but I always wonder if it would make the exhaust more fun if I took out the resonator. I would really appreciate your input as it would avoid me taking out the resonator only to have it welded back in, in case I don't like it.
No problemo.

I have been working much longer hours during the week so most of my fun stuff happens Fri/Sat/Sun. So I'll give the exhaust shop a call later in the week to ask questions. I want him to be able to make it so it doesn't look like something was cut/welded back on if that makes sense. I know it's under the car but every time I see pictures of exhaust work it's different color piping and the weld is all janky. I am fairly confident they guy will do a good job. All his custom work looks good! Plus I'm in no rush so I can drop the mid pipe off to him and say make it look good and do what you need to do. I can't imagine it being crazy expensive but at least I'll be able to swap back and forth if I'm not happy.

I'm pursuing this more because Raymond did it and posted a couple videos on facebook and said there was zero drone, but amped up the sound slightly and really likes it. He and I have similar tastes in terms of fit/finish/quality/non-rice/janky stuff to do to the car, so that's why I'm figuring it might be a nice subtle sound upgrade. *Note that I am not displeased at all with the current Invidia sound. Cold starts are fire, and it ALWAYS cracks/pops when I start it. I love it! Sounds great.

-Nigel

Old 02-23-22, 11:56 AM
moahdriven
Driver

Yea it is pretty obscene without a muffler and resonators; I mean it sounds great but I'm not trying to go deaf in 5 years and set off all car alarms wherever I go.
I just purchased a set of Vibrant resonators as they seem to be the most go to brand. They have a few different models. Went with one that isn't their most sound deadening but has decent reviews on reducing drone and cutting volume just a bit which is really what I'm looking for; I'm loving the rumble at idle and the sound at slow driving but the drone on acceleration I can't. Unfortunately the stock resonators are just too quiet, and the aftermarket scene appears to be a dichotomy of 'similar to stock and really quiets it' vs 'just basically a straight pipe'; will post some clips once they're in and I can get it done.

Last edited by moahdriven; 02-23-22 at 01:27 PM.