RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

The RCF on lock down.

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-20, 03:47 AM
jstring
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone—ideas for DIY mods, maintenance, or cleaning/detailing methods? On top of the closed businesses, getting some crap weather up here in PA. Looking to stay occupied. Made myself a heat shield template yesterday in an attempt to make my own...we'll see how this goes ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Old 03-28-20, 04:19 AM
vbb

Received 198 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by jstring
Anyone—ideas for DIY mods, maintenance, or cleaning/detailing methods? On top of the closed businesses, getting some crap weather up here in PA. Looking to stay occupied. Made myself a heat shield template yesterday in an attempt to make my own...we'll see how this goes ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
When is the last time you have had any maintenance done (or did it yourself) and what was it? Brake fluid flush? Brake pads? Air filter or cabin air filter change? Full interior detail?

There are some little things that you can do if the car needs it... but I totally understand the desire to find something to do in this lockdown/isolation time. I had my car fully paint corrected and ceramic coated in August of 2019 and even before this time period I was pretty obsessive about keeping it clean. I think I'm going to do a ceramic coating reload in this downtime.
Old 03-28-20, 04:23 AM
jstring
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vbb
When is the last time you have had any maintenance done (or did it yourself) and what was it? Brake fluid flush? Brake pads? Air filter or cabin air filter change? Full interior detail?
I think I'm going to do a ceramic coating reload in this downtime.
Fortunately, all of those items have been completed very recently (rear pads/rotors that is, as the fronts were replaced 10k ago and have life). But filters, fluids...all a-okay. Full interior detail, I could do that today. What ceramic coating product do you use? Been wanting to use something like that, especially on my wheels and newly-wrapped hood.
Old 03-28-20, 10:40 AM
vbb

Originally Posted by jstring
Fortunately, all of those items have been completed very recently (rear pads/rotors that is, as the fronts were replaced 10k ago and have life). But filters, fluids...all a-okay. Full interior detail, I could do that today. What ceramic coating product do you use? Been wanting to use something like that, especially on my wheels and newly-wrapped hood.
I had the car professionally coated in C. Quartz by CarPro and also have the CarPro line of booster products (Reload sealant and Elixer quick detailer). My car is garage kept which really helps preserve the ceramic coating.
Old 03-28-20, 12:48 PM
CAHWY128
Advanced

Received 346 Likes on 228 Posts

I got mine out for a short drive through the back county roads by my home. Wanted to warm it up and there is nobody on the roads but farmers and farm workers. The roads are in poor condition but it was so good to be in the RCF.

I really miss my weekly drive over to Napa.

Still have not detailed it.
Old 03-29-20, 03:15 PM
IS_250
Pole Position

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

No lockdown here in North Florida yet... but the wifeys office is closed and I’m working from home for the next month.... No sense in putting miles on her F. 😷
Old 03-31-20, 06:12 PM
Fysisist
Pole Position

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

My initial reaction to all the business closings, the social distancing, etc, was that it was an over-reaction. Then a couple weeks ago my brother-in-law tested positive for covid19. He's 65, kind of a health fanatic, works out regularly, looks 45 if even that old. Anyway he ran a fever for a couple days and had the cough and congestion. He seemed to be getting better about 5 days in, then the cough and some shortness of breath started kicking in and eventually he had to go to the ER, where they admitted him with early stage pneumonia. He told me via text that they had him on chloroquine, the malaria med. A couple days in the hospital and his blood O2 was getting lower, so into the ICU with him. Luckily he started improving without having to be put on a ventilator and after I think 6 days total in the hospital and 3 in the ICU, he's been released and doing much better, although he still has to self quarantine for another 2 weeks. So that was a wake-up call, taking it more seriously now. I'm 61 and don't remember anything like this in my lifetime, it's kind of surreal. Almost like an apocalyptic zombie flick. Stay safe, be well my RC F brethren. Let's all hope we are back in the regular swing in a month or two.
The following 2 users liked this post by Fysisist:
05RollaXRS (03-31-20), IS_250 (03-31-20)
Old 03-31-20, 06:35 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,504 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Thanks for sharing. Sorry to hear about your brother-in-law. Hopefully, he will pull through and fully recover. I agree, I am in my early-40s and never seen anything like this.

Originally Posted by Fysisist
My initial reaction to all the business closings, the social distancing, etc, was that it was an over-reaction. Then a couple weeks ago my brother-in-law tested positive for covid19. He's 65, kind of a health fanatic, works out regularly, looks 45 if even that old. Anyway he ran a fever for a couple days and had the cough and congestion. He seemed to be getting better about 5 days in, then the cough and some shortness of breath started kicking in and eventually he had to go to the ER, where they admitted him with early stage pneumonia. He told me via text that they had him on chloroquine, the malaria med. A couple days in the hospital and his blood O2 was getting lower, so into the ICU with him. Luckily he started improving without having to be put on a ventilator and after I think 6 days total in the hospital and 3 in the ICU, he's been released and doing much better, although he still has to self quarantine for another 2 weeks. So that was a wake-up call, taking it more seriously now. I'm 61 and don't remember anything like this in my lifetime, it's kind of surreal. Almost like an apocalyptic zombie flick. Stay safe, be well my RC F brethren. Let's all hope we are back in the regular swing in a month or two.
The following users liked this post:
IS_250 (03-31-20)
Old 03-31-20, 06:45 PM
IS_250
Pole Position

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Thanks for sharing. Sorry to hear about your brother-in-law. Hopefully, he will pull through and fully recover. I agree, I am in my early-40s and never seen anything like this.
Im pretty skeptical myself, but for the sake of my parents and older family, I'd rather be safe than sorry and stay home.

Back on topic! Let's see some Fs!
The following users liked this post:
05RollaXRS (03-31-20)
Old 04-01-20, 07:11 AM
vbb

My F, resting in the garage. It has the thinnest dusting of pollen on it as my area has been alternating between all-day downpours and extreme bursts of (mostly pine tree) pollen for the next few days following the rain. I've driven it maybe 100 miles in the past 3-4 weeks.

Although I am also considered essential personnel, I had already planned to take the last two weeks of March off as I transitioned to a new responsibility area within my field. This was before the pandemic really hit, so I've pretty much been off of work for the last 2 weeks. That said, beginning next week I'll have more responsibility to actually go in to work (though less than was initially planned before the pandemic) so I'll drive the F a little more.

Stay safe everyone. In the flood of information, grim outlooks and anecdotal stories we hear, one thing is true... you lessen you chances to get sick by limiting your contact with people and the surfaces people come in to contact with. This doesn't mean stay paralyzed in fear, but it does mean be smart and conscious of every interaction you have with the people and where you put your hands. While many of us would be "ok" even if we did get it, nobody wants to roll those dice unnecessarily.

Last edited by vbb; 04-01-20 at 07:15 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by vbb:
05RollaXRS (04-01-20), CAHWY128 (04-01-20), IS_250 (04-01-20)
Old 04-01-20, 09:42 AM
CAHWY128
Advanced

Received 346 Likes on 228 Posts

A couple of days after I started this thread, I got word that my 24 year old daughter and her Fiancé were sick in England. She is staying north of York. They were both very sick in bed for over a week. Both were very weak, their bodies ached and they got bad coughs. There was not testing in the rural area they are at so the were told to self isolate. They are better now but as a father I was worried sick and there were no flights home. I don't think I slept for a week.

Now that they are better I am getting back to working on my cars. I have 4 cars to detail in the coming month.

I run Optima batteries so I am starting a weekly charging cycle. The big yellow top in my truck takes all day to charge and condition.

The following 2 users liked this post by CAHWY128:
1wacko (04-01-20), IS_250 (04-01-20)