RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Upgraded Display

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-20, 12:34 AM
tnilc
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 103 Posts

So I bought this unit for my RC300 without factory nav or Mark Levinson system...I showed them pictures of my interior and asked to confirm it fits my RC300 and they said yes. Sadly the wiring harness they sent me is for cars with the Mark Levinson system, not sure if it includes factory nav tho.

They're supposed to send me a new wiring harness since the unit is the same. I hope this really works or I'll end up either taking the hit and returning it for a refund or maybe sell it to an RCF owner.

I also have the wireless Apple Car Play/Android Auto dongle

Last edited by tnilc; 04-24-20 at 12:39 AM.
Old 04-24-20, 09:17 AM
TOPHER9425
Pit Crew

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

With the CarPlay dongle...where are you running the USB cable for the dongle? Are you replacing one of the USB ports in the armrest compartment? I think that would be the cleanest install & not that hard to manage
Old 04-24-20, 07:28 PM
tnilc
Instructor

Originally Posted by TOPHER9425
With the CarPlay dongle...where are you running the USB cable for the dongle? Are you replacing one of the USB ports in the armrest compartment? I think that would be the cleanest install & not that hard to manage
I plan to run it to my glove box. The unit comes with a harness that has two USB drives to plug into. You do not need to do anything to the ports in the arm rest.

I won’t be using a cable tho. I have a wireless dongle that will be plugged in to the harness in the glove box. I prefer a clean look and don’t want to see wires lingering around.
Old 04-25-20, 05:49 AM
TOPHER9425
Pit Crew

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

That’s a great idea...you mind sharing which Bluetooth CarPlay dongle you will be using?
Old 04-26-20, 07:06 PM
Jonnyrcf
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

That’s a great idea...you mind sharing which Bluetooth CarPlay dongle you will be using?
I just finished installing my unit today. It comes with a usb dongle for wireless use with Android phones for a mirror effect. Audio is transmitted over Bluetooth. My impression is that the unit is overall a great upgrade. The dead space on the stock unit bugged me and the overall quality of the small area in the middle was of poor quality for a luxury vehicle. Not to mention it seems like a cleaning product or something seemed to have stained or damaged the stock screen before I purchased the car. I wish a bracket was included to give it the same secure installation as the stock unit. I attempted to reuse the stock one but had no luck. The radio displays which door is open and can show if your seatbelt is fastened, rpm and speed gauges. So far I have had no luck using the internet on the unit through the hotspot on my phone but I have barely played with it. A tip for anyone that pulls the trigger is that the reverse camera will not work until you go into the settings and change rear view camera to av video line. The microphone supplied fell apart shortly after coming out of the bag and the speaker seems very cheap. From what another user said the navigation plays through that small speaker. So far I think I can live with the quirks for the benefit of a much more modern and fitting screen for the space.

A youtube mechanics attempt at a head unit install. Honestly hardest part was running the harness from where the screen is down to the head unit. Seems like there is no opening but stay along the ignition button side.

Reverse and stock screens are stretched. Distortion is minimal.

Nice to see the entire space being used.

Last edited by Jonnyrcf; 04-26-20 at 07:09 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Jonnyrcf:
05RollaXRS (04-26-20), 1wacko (04-26-20), javrabbit (04-27-20), SUNNYRCF (04-27-20)
Old 05-03-20, 12:03 PM
tnilc
Instructor

Installed my unit on my RC. It's great. I know it's not an RCF but the install and unit is nearly the same for both cars. I definitely recommend the wireless dongle. I personally don't like loose wires hanging out of trim areas.

As mentioned above, the GPS audio comes from the small speaker. I recommend lowering the volume on it other wise it sounds really distorted. I lowered it to around 10% and it doesn't sound like it's an obvious aftermarket speaker hiding in the dash.
  • Android speaker - installed/mounted behind the display unit
  • Microphone for Android unit - installed/mounted behind the display unit
  • GPS antenna - routed to the passenger side and mounted it behind the glove box
  • Glove Box - cut an opening on the backside of the glove box to route some wires
  • 5G Antenna - routed from the display unit to the glove box
  • 2 USB ports - routed from the display unit to the glove box through the hole
  • Wireless CarPlay dongle - connected to USB port in my glove box (no loose wires in my interior)
  • Received T Adapter to backup camera - works perfectly, just had to adjust settings to remove the extra reverse lines
  • Install Time: 2 hours, 30 mins
The following users liked this post:
SUNNYRCF (05-03-20)
Old 05-03-20, 12:04 PM
tnilc
Instructor

I had the seller include this with my order. They packed it together to save shipping for me.

https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...301228004.html

So far it works well but I downloaded a different app for phone mirroring.
Old 05-03-20, 12:07 PM
tnilc
Instructor

My phone mirroring Inception pic. I left my work phone in the house so I couldn't take a better pic at the time.

The screen does go to landscape mode when using apps that can be displayed in landscape.