RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

RCF vs A90 Supra (MK5)

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-20, 02:51 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,504 Likes on 1,802 Posts

I wonder about the brakes, they have a lot of "bite" when I do normal stops at traffic lights. However, when I do a panic stop and push hard on the brake, it is a very gradual and linear/smooth stop. Not the sudden, intense deceleration feel I would expect from these high friction pad. Ami I not understanding something correctly or they are simply old pads now as they are OEM pads that are more than 4 years old?
Old 06-20-20, 05:24 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,082 Likes on 2,474 Posts

OE pads are not exactly high friction. The Project Mu HC+800s (street/track) I run are a lot like Carbotech XP12s (full track pad) in terms of friction. Extremely light touch on the pedal generates a LOT of deceleration, and a heavy push slams the nose down enough to overwhelm the ABS and lock the wheels momentarily before the ABS can even respond. The same act on the GS F with the OEM pads took about 50% more foot pressure, but it is impossible to overwhelm the ABS with the OEM pads. No surprise there. It's always a significant mental adjustment when I get out of the IS and into the GS. I lightly touch the GS F brakes and not a whole lot is happening where I'd be bouncing off the shoulder harness in the IS F.

I'm really wondering about those Brembo pads. GG rating is reasonably high mu and two Gs means the compound maintains high mu at elevated temperature much better than the typical FF pad from the factory.
The following users liked this post:
05RollaXRS (06-20-20)
Old 06-20-20, 05:46 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks. Yeah, the foot is really welded to the floor for full panic braking and even at that, it is gradually slowing down with a very linear feel. I was expecting it to react a lot harder, but it feels like they are trying to overcome inertia from the weight and have to work hard to do that. The feeling is quite good as there is no dive on the front. It is very evenly distributed force front to back and car remains very flat under hard braking. Just not as reactive and powerful as I would expect from such huge brakes. Also, I have brand new Pilot Sport 4S tires so I was expecting the latest and greatest tires would significantly improve braking. Maybe, they did, but it is just a "feel" thing. Hard for me to say without using some VBOX etc.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 06-20-20 at 09:02 PM.
Old 06-20-20, 08:41 PM
cvt
Racer

Received 547 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I'm really wondering about those Brembo pads. GG rating is reasonably high mu and two Gs means the compound maintains high mu at elevated temperature much better than the typical FF pad from the factory.
I’ll find out next Saturday! For $70 I think it’s worth a try. If for some reason they don’t bite like a want them to then I’ll eat crow and spend up a little...like I said, I don’t need a track pad, just a pad that has reasonable bite and a reasonable temp operating range.
Old 06-20-20, 09:16 PM
kukudm
Pit Crew

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
OE pads are not exactly high friction. The Project Mu HC+800s (street/track) I run are a lot like Carbotech XP12s (full track pad) in terms of friction. Extremely light touch on the pedal generates a LOT of deceleration, and a heavy push slams the nose down enough to overwhelm the ABS and lock the wheels momentarily before the ABS can even respond. The same act on the GS F with the OEM pads took about 50% more foot pressure, but it is impossible to overwhelm the ABS with the OEM pads. No surprise there. It's always a significant mental adjustment when I get out of the IS and into the GS. I lightly touch the GS F brakes and not a whole lot is happening where I'd be bouncing off the shoulder harness in the IS F.

I remember the OEM pads from my GSF were rated GG too when I pulled them out. A quick search on Internet confirmed that too.

lobuxracer (06-23-20)
Old 06-20-20, 09:39 PM
cvt
Racer

Received 547 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by kukudm
I remember the OEM pads from my GSF were rated GG too when I pulled them out. A quick search on Internet confirmed that too.

how did you like the OEM pads on your GSF?
Old 06-20-20, 10:16 PM
kukudm
Pit Crew

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by cvt
how did you like the OEM pads on your GSF?
Initial bite felt good to me, but when step on them a little more, they felt more like street pads vs more performance oriented pads. Maybe the car is too heavy, or maybe Lexus specced that way for the car to behave more GT like. For the amount of dust they produced, I would expect them to perform more like a street/track pad, but they did not. They also eat the rotors too fast, maybe the OEM rotors were too soft.

Old 06-22-20, 06:10 AM
finny76
Advanced

Received 83 Likes on 56 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Now, as I have understood it more, I have grown used to the long gearing. Also, the exhaust has helped immensely. The 2020 RCF shorter gearing is nice (from 2.97 to 3.16), but I think most people would not notice a difference. Another easy way of playing with the gears is by trading some circumference for some more width. For example, going on the rear from 275/35/19 to 295/30/19. That will give you more width and shorter overall circumference, which leads to overall shorter gearing. That is a much safer and cheaper way to get shorter gearing without taking the whole differential out etc.
That may be worth exploring and sounds like a Much better option than fooling with gears... I bet the next question is.... How to install a DCT? LOL
Old 06-22-20, 06:16 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Good run, the MKV is a very tuneable car from what I've seen but that was expected. I've seen some making over 700hp/tq that's impressive on the stock block and trans considering the GTR limits are around 650 on the stock block and trans. That's not bad for a car starting at $50K.
Old 06-22-20, 04:55 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Here is another one.

RCF has Intake/PPE headers/exhaust (No tune)
Supra has dwownpipe/exhaust/ECU tuned

And a Civic Type R trying to troll in the background

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 06-22-20 at 10:45 PM.
rp2000r (06-22-20)