RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Quest for more induction noise: My cold air intake thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-20, 02:22 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,479 Likes on 1,784 Posts

True. I also experienced the same thing. It was not until the dealership capped it back and I noticed much better low end torque.

Originally Posted by flowrider
It's been proven that power is lost with the flap open at all times:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ntake-mod.html

For you RCF folks - The ISF guys have done what you guys are doing years before you folks thought about it. There is a wealth of knowledge in the iSF forum that may be of interest to some of you.

Lou

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 07-16-20 at 02:25 PM.
Old 07-16-20, 02:46 PM
arpus 7
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Intake

Thanks Flowrider for the thread. Very interesting read.
Old 07-17-20, 05:34 PM
tekjunke
Rookie

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

I'd, love to hear what the Gruppe M carbon intake system sounds like... I've only seen it on one car her in the forum. https://www.topendmotorsports.com/le...fiber-6733.php
The following users liked this post:
javrabbit (07-17-20)
Old 07-17-20, 07:45 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tekjunke
I'd, love to hear what the Gruppe M carbon intake system sounds like... I've only seen it on one car her in the forum. https://www.topendmotorsports.com/le...fiber-6733.php
GruppeM is very expensive for an intake. It is all carbon fiber and replaces the OEM sealed airbox. You hear a bit in this video

tekjunke (07-18-20)
Old 07-18-20, 01:45 PM
tekjunke
Rookie

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
GruppeM is very expensive for an intake. It is all carbon fiber and replaces the OEM sealed airbox. You hear a bit in this video
Thanks! not sure how I missed that <embarrassed>. I get it, its super expensive but damn its sexy and unique!!
Old 07-18-20, 02:28 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah, would love the carbon fiber intake with velocity stacks/conical filter, but only GruppeM offers that combination and it is very pricey for what an intake is supposed to be.
Old 07-18-20, 06:16 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

@flowrider Have you looked at the Boostlogic intakes for the LC500? Never knew the LC500 comes from factory with symmetrical dual intakes. That is why the induction noise is louder in the LC500 than the RCF as it is one and on the passenger side (for the LHD versions).

http://www.boostlogic.com/parts/toyo...ntake-kit.html
Old 07-18-20, 06:31 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,924 Likes on 1,356 Posts

^^^^I'm aware of that intake., but it is not shielded in any way and, IMHO, would allow for lots of heat soak. As far as intake noise, the LC does not do phony noise like some other cars, but pipes in the sound through a tube to the firewall.

Lou
Old 07-19-20, 11:01 AM
buister
Pit Crew

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

For a true CAI you have to cut a hole in your wheel well and attach a filter outside the engine bay then run a snorkel up to the engine. Some 1st gen IS300 enthusiasts used to it this way. Being a Lexus, there were not a lot of aftermarket products back then, so guys came up with all kind of ways. I believe that was when FIGS and JoeZ got into making stuff for the Lexus.
Old 07-19-20, 11:30 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by buister
For a true CAI you have to cut a hole in your wheel well and attach a filter outside the engine bay then run a snorkel up to the engine. Some 1st gen IS300 enthusiasts used to it this way. Being a Lexus, there were not a lot of aftermarket products back then, so guys came up with all kind of ways. I believe that was when FIGS and JoeZ got into making stuff for the Lexus.
The RCF has enough channels to pull air in. I believe it is over the top part of front grille and also from the lower part of the grille. The stock filter is a paper filter, which does not allow the best airflow rate especially when compared to velocity stack/conical filter. Also, the stock airbox quite well sealed so it minimizes heat soak. The aftermarket intake elbow provides smoother airflow than the stock intake, which has some resonators to prevent drone while "lugging" the engine. I never lug my engine so it is not an issue for me. The airbox flap does not open up until 3600 rpm so the low end torque should in theory remain the same. Again, the stock airbox is very well designed and optimized so my goal is just to get more induction noise.
Old 07-20-20, 08:37 AM
Lend0
Intermediate

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJ96lZlm4zk
LMAO what an insane waste of money. I'd rather PPE EL headers that actually do something besides play dress up.
Old 07-21-20, 07:50 PM
Slash300zx
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 52 Posts

AFE dyno (using a member on this board). Peak HP gains are minimal of around 5 whp. Almost none at 7100+ rpm, but seems like there is some better midrange there. Anyway, as my disclaimer above, any HP gain would be a bonus. I am looking for deeper/broader induction noise.

Am I seeing this right? According to this dyno graph, there might only be around 5 hp gain but you do get almost 10 ft-lbs torque gain, and that's at the wheels, that's not bad!
Old 07-21-20, 08:30 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Slash300zx
Am I seeing this right? According to this dyno graph, there might only be around 5 hp gain but you do get almost 10 ft-lbs torque gain, and that's at the wheels, that's not bad!
Yeah, not much gain at the top rpm. Only 5 whp peak. After 7100+ rpm, there is no gain at all and the stock intake actually performs better to 7400 rpm rev limiter, but it seems to be gaining around 10 ft-lbs in the midrange between 4000 rpm and 6000 rpm. I am OK with that since it will make the experience more visceral, I hope. Unlike a full exhaust, this is more of a try-it-and-see mod especially considering it costs a much simpler and cheaper mod.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 07-21-20 at 11:04 PM.
Old 07-22-20, 12:15 PM
RCF4DAD
Driver

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Cold Air

Hey Rolla, ordered the Takeda intake from JB Motorsport here in Calgary. Should arrive this week and I'll let you know. Did a practice run on install, pretty easy setup. I don't believe the HP/Torque claims, but it looks nice and hoping for a little more sound.
Takeda brand is good and fit is OEM style, which I liked. Not much out there on reviews or sound bites.
05RollaXRS (07-22-20)
Old 07-22-20, 12:28 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RCF4DAD
Hey Rolla, ordered the Takeda intake from JB Motorsport here in Calgary. Should arrive this week and I'll let you know. Did a practice run on install, pretty easy setup. I don't believe the HP/Torque claims, but it looks nice and hoping for a little more sound.
Takeda brand is good and fit is OEM style, which I liked. Not much out there on reviews or sound bites.
Awesome. Great news. I had been looking into JB power as well since they sell it. That is most likely where I would end up getting it from. I agree the sound is the major driving factor here. The installation is very easy, for sure. Just remove the stickers and it will look great with the stock intake manifold. Let me know once you have it installed as to how you like it. I would get it regardless, but would like to hear your thoughts as well.

p.s. We gotta do meet as well sometime before the summer is over LOL

Quick Reply: Quest for more induction noise: My cold air intake thread