RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Quest for more induction noise: My cold air intake thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-20, 07:45 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,501 Likes on 1,800 Posts

Hey man,

Came off very easily. You just need a little heat source. I used a blow dryer on high heat and it came off easily. While heating it, I gently scratched the edge of the sticker with a key. It starts coming off. Took me 2 minutes. Yeah, I would take off the red one if it is coming off and putting an F logo would make it look so much nicer. I might end up doing the same as well. Cheers!

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 09-30-20 at 08:37 AM.
Old 09-30-20, 10:44 AM
cvt
Racer

Received 547 Likes on 363 Posts

Looks good Rolla. I wished staked a came with a black intake tubing instead of blue to give it a stealthier look.

let’s get some sound clips!
Old 09-30-20, 11:48 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by cvt
Looks good Rolla. I wished staked a came with a black intake tubing instead of blue to give it a stealthier look.

Honestly, I really like the blue. It looks very high quality with metallic blue paint and also matches the F-blue manifold color. However, if they had another carbon fiber option for the pipe, I would have picked that. Regarding getting some videos, I only have 2 - 3 weeks left before I put it away so I will try and see if I can take some time out to film some videos. Also, the POV camera I purchased had terrible video so I will have to see if I can rig my cell somehow.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 09-30-20 at 11:53 AM.
Old 09-30-20, 03:36 PM
RCF4DAD
Driver

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Thanks man. Great to hear that.
Rolla,
Question? I know you drive your F aggressive, S+ manual mode! My question is what shift points are you at, up/down? and what is your RPM running in the city?
Mine is a daily driver so I think I baby it a bit? S Mode auto, paddle shift down at lights and combined Fuel is 9.9l/100 or 24mpg US.
Sooo, am I hurting the engine by being to easy and adversely am I hurting by driving max out daily?
I know you'll have lots of feedback for this, so, begin,
Old 09-30-20, 03:50 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RCF4DAD
Rolla,
Question? I know you drive your F aggressive, S+ manual mode! My question is what shift points are you at, up/down? and what is your RPM running in the city?
Mine is a daily driver so I think I baby it a bit? S Mode auto, paddle shift down at lights and combined Fuel is 9.9l/100 or 24mpg US.
Sooo, am I hurting the engine by being to easy and adversely am I hurting by driving max out daily?
Hey man, definitely not hurting the engine by being easy on it. You are definitely getting very good gas mileage. Mine is around 12 - 13 Liter/100 KM. However, it is good to run it to redline once in a while to clean any carbon deposits since we have direct injected engine. When I am driving in the city and on small roads, I usually shift up around 3500 - 4000 rpm. It is high enough to enjoy some sound, but part throttle it is not high enough to get some major acceleration. Let's say if I am merging in on Stoney and there is lots of space around, I usually downshift to 2nd and hold the gear going around the fly-over turn at around 70 - 80 mph and then gun it to redline exiting the turn and then shift up to 3rd on to the straights and then let off as soon as it is appropriate (obviously, not redline in 3rd as I would be doing 170 km/h, which is way above legal speed). Some times, I do short springs from a traffic light. Just go to redline in 1st gear and then shift up to 2nd and then engine brake to bleed speed quickly without brakes.

Regarding modes, yes I drive primarily in sport+/manual mode. The throttle response, steering quickness/weight etc. all really suit enjoying the car at slow speeds. I think the auto mode and anything below sport mode are too sedate and laid back to enjoy anything other than a comfort cruise etc.

Let me know if that makes sense.
The following 2 users liked this post by 05RollaXRS:
konichiwa3 (09-30-20), RCF4DAD (09-30-20)
Old 09-30-20, 03:55 PM
RCF4DAD
Driver

As always, great insight, thanks Rolla . Now, time to go play a bit in the Mountains.
The following users liked this post:
05RollaXRS (09-30-20)
Old 09-30-20, 03:56 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

As always, great insight, thanks Rolla . Now, time to go play a bit in the Mountains.
You are welcome.
Old 09-30-20, 04:14 PM
konichiwa3
Intermediate

Received 317 Likes on 175 Posts

Rolla,
I am firm believer in the "Italian Tune". A performance car is a performance car for a reason. It's like a thoroughbred you need to let it do what it does best. I learnt this from my previous tech when I had an AMG. His own words, "you've got to drive her hard. She needs to be reminded quite often she is a sports performance car."

Then not to long ago I watched the movie Ford vs Ferrari and the character played by Christian Bale right at the beginning of the movie is trying to explain to an irate customer why his car doesn't perform as well, because he doesn't floor it, babies the car too much. Brought a smile to my face as it reminded me of my AMG tech.

Especially nowadays most advanced modern cars have AI in them, you drive it slow and it retards back it's performance to match your style. You drive it hard and the car perks up to give you razor sharp driving dynamics. I'm always in S+ Auto, never driven it in any other mode except ECO when I'm low on gas and trying to stretch it out.

She is a thoroughbred treat her like one.

05RollaXRS (09-30-20)
Old 09-30-20, 04:51 PM
RCF4DAD
Driver

That scene is what got me thinking about it. Appreciate your thoughts. So maybe drive Er Hard and put Er away wet is a good thing
konichiwa3 (09-30-20)
Old 09-30-20, 04:58 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

One other thing I like doing is, just on the highway (like stoney) cruising in the middle lane, reduce the speed down to about 80 km/h, downshift to 2nd gear and hold. As soon as I have gap in the left lane, quickly switch lanes to left while gunning it and then shift up to 3rd and accelerate for a bit before letting off.
Old 09-30-20, 05:03 PM
konichiwa3
Intermediate

Received 317 Likes on 175 Posts

That scene is what got me thinking about it. Appreciate your thoughts. So maybe drive Er Hard and put Er away wet is a good thing
Haha yess. That's a good one!!
Old 10-05-20, 09:42 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by cvt
@cvt As you were asking for, I am trying to put together some video clips. Will try to get them completed and uploaded before storing the car at the end of the month.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 10-05-20 at 09:45 AM.
cvt (10-05-20)
Old 10-05-20, 10:36 AM
cvt
Racer

Received 547 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
@cvt As you were asking for, I am trying to put together some video clips. Will try to get them completed and uploaded before storing the car at the end of the month.
can’t wait! I’ve been a sucker for induction noise (E46 M3 CSL comes to mind). I’d love to hear it!
Old 10-05-20, 10:46 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by cvt
can’t wait! I’ve been a sucker for induction noise (E46 M3 CSL comes to mind). I’d love to hear it!
It is actually different than the E46 CSL carbon airbox noise with the loud fluttering/resonating sound. It is more similar to the stock RCF noise. Smooth and refined, but the metallic part of the intake noise is louder with better throttle response, snappier shifts and more noticeable midrange, if that makes sense. There is also a snarling/growling noise in the midrange pushing the throttle in high gear/low rpm.

I believe, AEM intake replaces the stock airbox altogether and comes with its own airbox assembly removing the baffles that open at 3600 rpm. Maybe, that would be closer to what you are thinking. I had a chat with member named Topher who has AEM intake and I think he will be able to tell you more. I chose the AFE Power because it retains the dual mode stock sealed airbox.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 10-05-20 at 11:29 AM.
Old 10-08-20, 10:39 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

So here are a couple of video. Did quite a variety of different types of driving. Low rpm, midrange and high rpm spirited driving. Maybe, an exterior driving video in the future, but it will have to wait till next year. This is it for this year as I am storing the car in two weeks or so,

I used a very high quality camera with high quality audio to capture everything possible, but still unfortunately the mic does not pick up all of the sound frequencies generated in the cabin. Still close enough.

This video has a mix of both some low rpm/midrange rpm driving as well as full throttle accelerations. Some throttle response tests in there as well

This is a video with primarily spirited highway driving. Some turns and windy roads. Maybe, I should have set the camera further back because the speed does not come through at all. I took the sharp turn at 0:25 at 65 mph and it looks like it is 45 mph. Still, the camera shakes at the entry because the rear got unsettled as I aggressively turned in.

At 3:00 I test the signature cold air intake "growl/snarl" by pushing the throttle at low rpm and high gear

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 10-09-20 at 10:14 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 05RollaXRS:
cvt (10-10-20), konichiwa3 (10-10-20)

Quick Reply: Quest for more induction noise: My cold air intake thread