RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Quest for more induction noise: My cold air intake thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-20, 01:14 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,783 Posts
Default Quest for more induction noise: My cold air intake thread

Long story short, I know the cold air intake mod even with a full conical filter element yields minimal HP gains. I am more after the noise. It is all about the noise. Based on my research, an intake tube alone is not going achieve that. Having had injen cold air intake on my Corolla XRS for many years, the conical filter element really makes the deep/broad resonating induction noise.

I want to retain the stock airbox design (with 3600 rpm flap opening) so that only leaves me with Takeda cold air intake as the only option. Wish the RR racing carbon elbow had a similar conical filter element attachment like the Takeda. AEM intake is another option, but it gets rid of all of the OEM airbox design, which I don't want to.

I would love to get a carbon intake with a conical filter element that works with the OEM airbox. It is about $500 CAD so it is worth a try for sure. If I end up getting it, I will definitely put full details here.

If anyone had Takeda on his RCF, I have a few questions:

- Dry filter vs wet filter, Which one is the better option? I want to go with the oiled one, but I have heard there is a risk to the MAF sensor?
- Is the installation as straight forward as the video by AFE shows? I might try installing it myself. Any challenges? Looks fairly straight forward from the video I have seen.
- How is your experience with the sound over the stock airbox? What are your subjective impressions about the noise?
- Any negatives about this intake? Again, I am OK if there were no noticeable power gains. Just want to see if something OEM box did better than this aftermarket intake?

Here is what I fouind:

Installation video:

AFE dyno (using a member on this board). Peak HP gains are minimal of around 5 whp. Almost none at 7100+ rpm, but seems like there is some better midrange there. Anyway, as my disclaimer above, any HP gain would be a bonus. I am looking for deeper/broader induction noise.

The following users liked this post:
tekjunke (07-16-20)
Old 07-16-20, 09:32 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,924 Likes on 1,356 Posts

Not an RCF, but I was the first adopter of the Takeda intake on my ISF on this forum. That was over ten years ago:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-takeda-3.html

See Post #43

I went with the wet filter element four years ago:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-f-2008-2014/485878-new-is-f-short-ram-intake-from-afe-takeda-6.html

See Post #90

1. I liked the wet filter better. As far as damage to the MAF, as long as you clean and reoill it properly you wont have an issue. Over the years I have used both K&N and AFE wet elements and never had an issue. After reoiling I always let the filter sit on a newspaper overnight and in the morning wiped off any residual oil before reinstalling. Again, never over oil and never run right after oiling.

2. Installation on the iSF was straight forward IMO. But I installed most bolt-ons, other than exhaust, myself.

3. The intake was louder than stock when the flap flipped open.

4. None that I can think of. Some folks have lost the clips that hold the two halves of the box together. That's serious because the clips are not available separately. Just be careful you don't lose them.

I liked the intake a lot because unlike others this box is pretty much sealed for underhood heat. Wish there was something like it for my LC

Lou

Last edited by flowrider; 07-16-20 at 09:39 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by flowrider:
05RollaXRS (07-16-20), BossMoss (07-22-20)
Old 07-16-20, 10:08 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks. Great feedback. How long before you had to re-oil the wet conical filter? I believe the first time you just only install it since it is pre-oiled? My RCF is only an occasional car that I drive once in a while so trying to figure out how long before I will have to re-oil it? Thanks.

Originally Posted by flowrider
Not an RCF, but I was the first adopter of the Takeda intake on my ISF on this forum. That was over ten years ago:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-takeda-3.html

See Post #43

I went with the wet filter element four years ago:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-f-2008-2014/485878-new-is-f-short-ram-intake-from-afe-takeda-6.html

See Post #90

1. I liked the wet filter better. As far as damage to the MAF, as long as you clean and reoill it properly you wont have an issue. Over the years I have used both K&N and AFE wet elements and never had an issue. After reoiling I always let the filter sit on a newspaper overnight and in the morning wiped off any residual oil before reinstalling. Again, never over oil and never run right after oiling.

2. Installation on the iSF was straight forward IMO. But I installed most bolt-ons, other than exhaust, myself.

3. The intake was louder than stock when the flap flipped open.

4. None that I can think of. Some folks have lost the clips that hold the two halves of the box together. That's serious because the clips are not available separately. Just be careful you don't lose them.

I liked the intake a lot because unlike others this box is pretty much sealed for underhood heat. Wish there was something like it for my LC

Lou
Old 07-16-20, 10:17 AM
initiald2k
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Just installed the exact intake few weeks ago on my 15 RCF.
The sounds is significant (or placebo effect...)

I opt for the dry version due to laziness to re-oil every now and then. From the experience I had in the past with other cars, it really makes no difference (unless you re-oil incorrectly).
The installation is very straight-forward. I'd say it took me around 30-45 min with a test drive at the end.
I have notice a slight vibration when I start the car ... but it goes away once the car warms up (maybe an installation issue). It hasn't bothered me to the point to re-check the install.

Overall, at that price, I'm happy with this intake.
05RollaXRS (07-16-20)
Old 07-16-20, 10:21 AM
initiald2k
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

As for noise, I think this clip is pretty representative:

You will really hear it after the flap opens.
05RollaXRS (07-16-20)
Old 07-16-20, 10:23 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the feedback. The conical filter combined with a smoother/larger intake pipe (without resonators) will make more noise than stock CAI. How do you like the sound over the stock intake? How does it feel when the flap is closed below 3600 rpm? More or less like stock? Any torque loss noticed?

Does that red sticker seem to come off easily? I would like to look it clean and simple without any stickers on. Thanks.

Originally Posted by initiald2k
Just installed the exact intake few weeks ago on my 15 RCF.
The sounds is significant (or placebo effect...)

I opt for the dry version due to laziness to re-oil every now and then. From the experience I had in the past with other cars, it really makes no difference (unless you re-oil incorrectly).
The installation is very straight-forward. I'd say it took me around 30-45 min with a test drive at the end.
I have notice a slight vibration when I start the car ... but it goes away once the car warms up (maybe an installation issue). It hasn't bothered me to the point to re-check the install.

Overall, at that price, I'm happy with this intake.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 07-16-20 at 10:38 AM.
Old 07-16-20, 11:01 AM
tekjunke
Rookie

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

dangit!! this thread is going to make me spend money
05RollaXRS (07-16-20)
Old 07-16-20, 11:05 AM
Lend0
Intermediate

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

I have a K&N in my car but removed the oil filter as 5 horsepower isn’t worth the risk of sucking in additional dirt & oil. So I stuck the stock filter in and kept the larger intake elbow.
05RollaXRS (07-16-20)
Old 07-16-20, 12:32 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tekjunke
dangit!! this thread is going to make me spend money
LOL..it is a very simple mod and does not cost that much unlike a full exhaust system. It is not popular amongst the RCF owners because the stock airbox is so well designed already, but I am all about enhancing the driving experience. I have done cold air intake on my other car so I am looking for a broader and deeper sound. It does not help that the airbox is on the passenger side so the passenger gets to hear a lot more of the induction noise than the driver.
Old 07-16-20, 12:52 PM
arpus 7
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Wink Takeda intake

I have a Takeda intake with AFE dry filter. The sticker comes off pretty easily as I removed mine. The maf plug is under the piping vs stock on top. I have my flap open all the time and I find it a little more aggressive sounding and quicker. I know there was a threat regarding the flap mod. The noise is pretty good as you can hear it especially with the hood open. I have a Borla so you should hear it even better with your Invidia. I paid about $300.from summit racing about 2 years ago. Hope this helps. If anything it's definitely aesthetically pleasing.

Last edited by arpus 7; 07-16-20 at 12:59 PM.
05RollaXRS (07-16-20)
Old 07-16-20, 01:00 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by arpus 7
I have a Takeda intake with AFE dry filter. The sticker comes off pretty easily as I removed mine. The maf plug is under the piping vs stock on top. I have my flap open all the time and I find it a little more aggressive sounding and quicker. I know there was a threat regarding the flap mod. The noise is pretty good as you can hear it especially with the hood open. I have a Borla so you should hear it even better with your Invidia. I paid about $300.from summit racing about 2 years ago. Hope this helps.
Thanks. Very helpful. Under load, the intakes typically generate more noise than when they are at idle so I think the sound would be better than what in the idle revving video above shows. I personally would leave the flap actuation at 3600 rpm. With OEM intake, I had it unplugged and It had an aggressive growl at 2000 - 2500 rpm, but when I took it to the dealership for service, they plugged it back in. I noticed the noise was a lot quieter below 3600 rpm. However, the torque I felt was much better with the flap closed below 3600 rpm. Probably it might be difference with the aftermarket intake. I will try it both ways when I put mine on.
Old 07-16-20, 01:09 PM
arpus 7
Rookie

Default Intake

I just had a friend rev it in the car with the hood open so I could get an idea not under load conditions what it may sound like .I've tried the flap both ways for many miles and just like it better open.
05RollaXRS (07-16-20)
Old 07-16-20, 01:20 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by arpus 7
I just had a friend rev it in the car with the hood open so I could get an idea not under load conditions what it may sound like .I've tried the flap both ways for many miles and just like it better open.
Thanks. One more question, any unpleasant rattles or vibrations at any rpms you noticed?

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 07-16-20 at 01:31 PM.
Old 07-16-20, 01:41 PM
arpus 7
Rookie

Wink Intake

Not that I can tell.
05RollaXRS (07-16-20)
Old 07-16-20, 02:03 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,924 Likes on 1,356 Posts

It's been proven that power is lost with the flap open at all times:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ntake-mod.html

For you RCF folks - The ISF guys have done what you guys are doing years before you folks thought about it. There is a wealth of knowledge in the iSF forum that may be of interest to some of you.

Lou

Quick Reply: Quest for more induction noise: My cold air intake thread