Wheel spacers

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-20, 12:32 PM
abannon1
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Wheel spacers

Hello everyone,
I wanted to get some professional and personnel opinions on getting wheel spacers for the RC F. Is it a good or bad idea? and if not what do you recommend.
Old 07-17-20, 12:42 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,468 Likes on 1,773 Posts

I have had Eibach spacers on mine for almost 3 years since early 2018. The best quality one's I could find. No issues at all and no complaints. Steering feels a bit heavier and car feels wider. That is about it. It is a polarizing issue with people on both side of the fence, but I have no regrets, which is why I have not removed them since I would not spend that much money on a car that ended up being compromised in terms of enjoyment because of a ill-suited mod I did.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 07-17-20 at 12:49 PM.
Old 07-17-20, 12:46 PM
abannon1
Driver School Candidate

Your car looks great! its stance is really nice. So you have never had any issues?? Would they work if you had your car on swift lowering springs? I just don't want to have any rubbing
Old 07-17-20, 12:53 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by abannon1
Your car looks great! its stance is really nice. So you have never had any issues?? Would they work if you had your car on swift lowering springs? I just don't want to have any rubbing
Nope. I am stock so I am not sure if there would be issues when combined with lowering springs. Never any issues. If you do 15 mm all-around Eibach or H&R, none of that would happen. No noise, no scrubbing and I turn pretty aggressively when I get the chance.
Old 07-17-20, 01:00 PM
abannon1
Driver School Candidate

Okay so if I stick with the 15mm spacer all around there should be no rubbing even if its been lowered? I do the occasional canyon drive here in California and its my dd so i don't take it to the track.
Old 07-17-20, 01:13 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Okay so if I stick with the 15mm spacer all around there should be no rubbing even if its been lowered? I do the occasional canyon drive here in California and its my dd so i don't take it to the track.
Probably another member who has spacer and lowered can speak more on that since I am on stock height (have about 1/4 inch gap in the back and about 1.5 inch gap in the front). If you still have some wheel gap then it should be fine. If your car has minimal wheel gap with the lowering springs then you might experience some rubbing. Also, proper torque specs the spacer nuts and your lugs is very important
Old 07-17-20, 01:19 PM
abannon1
Driver School Candidate

Ah gotcha, Yeah it lowered my car 1.3 in the front and 1 inch in the rear, so hopefully someone who has done this can chime in. Would getting slightly wider tires do the same thing?
Old 07-17-20, 01:30 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Ah gotcha, Yeah it lowered my car 1.3 in the front and 1 inch in the rear, so hopefully someone who has done this can chime in. Would getting slightly wider tires do the same thing?
Yeah, if your car has minimal wheel gap then wider tires might also cause some rubbing while turning. If you have about 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch gap in the rear then you should be fine as swift springs have pretty good spring rates so they don't just collapse under corner loads. I measured mine with a tape measure and it was around 1/4 inch gap in the back. With stock spring rates, never experienced any rubbing issues even under hard turning.

Another option is to go 12 mm in the back and 15 mm in the front. That should make it safer.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 07-17-20 at 01:33 PM.
Old 07-17-20, 01:43 PM
abannon1
Driver School Candidate

Yeah the wheel gap is definitely minimal with the springs, but yes the spring rates are excellent from what ive encountered, the car seems to take corners better and you dont experience as much body role. Im glad to hear you haven't experienced any issues! Thats a good idea! Ill look into the spacers some more. What company did you recommend again?
Old 07-17-20, 02:03 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah the wheel gap is definitely minimal with the springs, but yes the spring rates are excellent from what ive encountered, the car seems to take corners better and you dont experience as much body role. Im glad to hear you haven't experienced any issues! Thats a good idea! Ill look into the spacers some more. What company did you recommend again?
I have Eibachs. They work very well with the stock springs very well from my experience. Stays very neutral through hard/tught turns. Eibach is a German company. They make the best one's as they are forged and very strong. They race in the European touring car racing. H&R is another great German company, Both of these are considered the best.

See below

https://eibach.com/us/c-82-products-...l-spacers.html

Widen Your Stance-For Better Handling

• Made from high-tensile-strength aluminum alloy
  • Exact fitment by using minimal production tolerances, resulting in exceptional wheel balance
  • All applications tested in rigid durability- and fatigue tests
  • High-grade corrosion protection through a special coating process (salt spray test according to DIN 50021)
  • Significant weight advantage compared to wheel-spacers made from steel
  • Eibach PRO-SPACER is the ideal combination for use with the Eibach PRO-KIT as well the SPORTLINE, if the original or aftermarket wheels are missing that last optical "kick".
With the Eibach PRO-SPACER installed, the car looks wider and better, as the wheel fills the arch. That’s how the car’s look gets its final touch.

By increasing the track width, not only the appearance is improved, but you also achieve an optimized driving behavior combined with higher stability, as the roll of the chassis is influenced in a positive manner.

The PRO-SPACER is available in different versions from 5 to 45’mm width.

Eliminate the Gap

You’ll achieve optimum looks and enhanced handling by moving your wheels flush with the outer edges of the wheel wells. Simply measure the wheel-well/tire gap, as shown here, and order the corresponding Pro-Spacers to put your wheels and tires out where they belong.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 07-17-20 at 02:09 PM.
Old 07-17-20, 04:24 PM
abannon1
Driver School Candidate

Awesome! thank you for all the information! That will for sure help me decide if I go this route. I would love for the car to sit a little wider if it indeed did not rub at all. Im familiar with Eibach and they make solid products so I will for sure go with them.
Again thank you for all your help! Im going to take some measurements this weekend
Old 07-17-20, 07:42 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Awesome! thank you for all the information! That will for sure help me decide if I go this route. I would love for the car to sit a little wider if it indeed did not rub at all. Im familiar with Eibach and they make solid products so I will for sure go with them.
Again thank you for all your help! Im going to take some measurements this weekend
You are welcome.
Old 07-17-20, 11:15 PM
buister
Pit Crew

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

I have Swift springs and 15mm spacers all around. There's no rubbing whatsoever. I even have the adjustable control arms in the rear to square the wheels up and still got a few mm clearance.
Old 07-18-20, 08:26 AM
abannon1
Driver School Candidate

buister,
So you have no rubbing at all? I just want to make sure before I purchase them haha. You having the swift lowering springs pretty much sold me, if they fit with yours fine they will fit mine. Thank you for reaching out!
Old 07-18-20, 10:52 AM
LoSt180
Advanced

Received 593 Likes on 322 Posts

I have Swift springs and 15mm H&R slide on spacers all around with extended studs. Yes they have bolt-on ones that are "easier" but due to weight of the car and intended purpose of aggressive driving, those aren't recommended. Swapping out the studs are real easy on this car, compared to others I've owned. Yes, some guy will reply to me that he "hasn't had any issues" with bolt-on but I doubt he has done any track driving or any real mountain back road blasts.

I did have minor rubbing on high speed turns of the front side skirt bolt/splash liner. I used a pry bar to bend the metal tab flat and haven't rubbed at all since.

If you look along the wheel well, you'll see this part that protrudes into the natural arch, that's the tab that needs to be bent. It's really simple, so don't let the idea scare you off.

General recommendations on here and the Facebook group are that 20mm front, 15mm rear look the best. I'm happy with 15mm all around.
The following users liked this post:
nigel821 (02-11-24)

Quick Reply: Wheel spacers