RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

The End of Enform

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-20, 05:51 PM
tfischer

Received 216 Likes on 160 Posts
Default The End of Enform

An email went out today to all Lexus cars with the 3G Enform system saying that almost all features, such as remote start and vehicle status information will be discontinued on Oct 31, 2022. Those vehicles with the 4G transmitters are not effected. So, the 2018 + cars are ok, but for the GS. The full email is as follows:
===========
Thank you for choosing Lexus. As part of our Customer First commitment, we want to make you aware of upcoming changes in wireless communications technology that impact available Lexus Enform subscription services.

What’s Happening

As wireless technology continues to evolve, telecommunications providers in North America are making significant changes to their legacy communications infrastructures and network capabilities. Certain telecommunication providers have elected to terminate 3G wireless services which will impact available services for motor vehicles.
How This Will Impact Services in Your Lexus Vehicle

Your 2015 Lexus RC 350 offers available Lexus Enform services that rely on access to 3G wireless networks.

As of October 31, 2022, at 11:59PM CST, the following available Lexus Enform subscription services will be terminated:

Lexus Enform Safety Connect®1 including Automatic Collision Notification, Enhanced Roadside Assistance, Emergency Assistance Button and Stolen Vehicle Locator. Lexus Enform Remote2 including Remote Engine Start/Stop, Door Lock/Unlock, Vehicle Finder, Guest Driver Monitor, Vehicle Status and Alerts, Key Fob Remote Start, and Integration with Alexa® and The Google Assistant.

Lexus Enform Destination Assist3 including 24-hour live response center agents.
Starting September 1, 2021, available Lexus Enform subscription services will only be available as monthly subscriptions for your vehicle. You can subscribe to or renew your available Lexus Enform subscription services through September 30, 2022 via the Lexus app.
If you are currently subscribed to a multiyear discount, any unused portion of a paid subscription will be refunded at a prorated amount. These refunds will begin on November 1st, 2022.
REMINDER: Limited Service Campaign for Safety Connect System – Vehicle Location InaccurateAs a reminder, your vehicle might be involved with the Lexus Limited Service Campaign for Safety Connect System. To check if your vehicle is involved, please visit www.Lexus.com/recall. If you have not completed the above Limited Service Campaign, any authorized Lexus dealer will perform the software update FREE OF CHARGE to you. Please contact your authorized Lexus dealer to make an appointment to have the software update performed.
We sincerely regret any inconvenience this may cause. If you have any questions, please visit lexus.com/faq or connect with us at lexus.com/contact.
Sincerely,
Your Lexus Team

Last edited by tfischer; 09-12-20 at 08:46 AM. Reason: Changed end date from 2020 to 2022.
Old 09-12-20, 08:43 AM
Slash300zx
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 52 Posts

It's 2022 not 2020 when it will stop working
Old 09-12-20, 08:48 AM
tfischer

OOps. Big mistake on my part, Slash. Thanks; I have correct the original message. I guess I need to porrfread my posts more carefully.
The following users liked this post:
Slash300zx (09-12-20)
Old 09-12-20, 08:58 AM
Slash300zx
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by tfischer
OOps. Big mistake on my part, Slash. Thanks; I have correct the original message. I guess I need to porrfread my posts more carefully.
No big deal. There's a lot of people on the fb groups thinking they only got a month left or so, I guess they read this thing so fast they don't realize we got 2 more years before it end and I'm hoping someone at Lexus comes up with some sort of unit upgrade to 4g or 5g so services can keep going but I know this is just wishful thinking...... I really like my Enform options 😞
Old 09-12-20, 09:14 AM
tfischer

There is a long and informative discussion of this on the IS forum. It seems that an upgrade is not really likely because the 3G is built in and hardwired. Lexus changed to 4G for the 2018 models (other than GS). Other makes switched earlier. Since the networks are getting rid of 3G in order to have 4G and 5G, all that old hardware that works on 3G at most is going to be inoperative. I like the Enform features, especially the remote start. I have a friend who uses the Destination Assist for her NAV exclusively, so she will have to learn how to manually enter an address (she has masters degrees from Columbia, Georgetown and Harvard, so I think she can pick that up), and I'll have to get into a cold car from time to time.
At least my trusty iPhone X will keep on working (4G); only the new iPhones coming out in Oct or Nov will have 5G capability. Maybe I'll have to buy a new RC, as mine will be 8 years old when it loses the Enform features.
I hope they keep offering the "Infrared."
Old 09-15-20, 10:18 AM
mkhart
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are we all wondering why in the world we paid all of this extra money for these technologies in our vehicles, only to find out they're becoming useless in 2 years? I mean, holy crap! That technology probably added several thousand dollars to the cost of our vehicles. Now, come trade-in or selling, we've got an even more devalued trade-in or selling price!
Old 01-14-21, 08:56 PM
Freeway243
Driver School Candidate

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

I'd bet we can swap parts with 18+ Just not sure where the cellular is yet
The following users liked this post:
mkhart (01-18-21)