RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

PPE Header Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-20, 04:57 AM
JayLexin
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Smile PPE Header Questions

Apologies another thread on headers as I could not find all the questions to my answers.

I am installing RHD - PPE UEL Headers on an otherwise stock RC F, just got an K&N drop-in filter.

Can someone link a detailed RC F install guide the only ones I can find are brief or they are for the ISF. I understand the two are almost identical as a platform but why can't I find an RC F guide, surely someone has done one since 2015.

Is it required to:

1. Get a front wheel alignment as the steering knuckle is disconnected
2. Is it a must to replace O2 sensors as from what I read Lexus sensors are temperamental and a big chance they will throw an error once removing & reinstalling
3. I understand the benefits of a tune after installing headers however I prefer to keep my car as OEM as possible, if I use O2 extenders on the rear sensors will this be a 100% workaround avoiding CEL by tricking the ECU into thinking cats are working fine with a change in air flow downstream.

Does anyone have sound clip of PPE UEL Headers & or any other header hook up to OEM exhaust system?

On this setup is it fair to expect 28-30 WHP gain if no, what should I be expecting. I know dynos are like comparing apples with oranges and HP increases don't always translate into real world experiences.

A little off topic but an extra question
For example I have seen videos where stock RC F's pulling bigger dyno HP numbers vs. expensive cat back systems, same conditions, same dyno. But furthering this thought I have seen two RC F one stock, the other cat back line up for several runs and the cat back RC F pulls 2 car lengths in 3rd each and every time.

Old 09-14-20, 09:17 AM
1wacko
Intermediate

Received 186 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by JayLexin
Apologies another thread on headers as I could not find all the questions to my answers.

I am installing RHD - PPE UEL Headers on an otherwise stock RC F, just got an K&N drop-in filter.

Can someone link a detailed RC F install guide the only ones I can find are brief or they are for the ISF. I understand the two are almost identical as a platform but why can't I find an RC F guide, surely someone has done one since 2015.

Is it required to:

2. Is it a must to replace O2 sensors as from what I read Lexus sensors are temperamental and a big chance they will throw an error once removing & reinstalling
3. I understand the benefits of a tune after installing headers however I prefer to keep my car as OEM as possible, if I use O2 extenders on the rear sensors will this be a 100% workaround avoiding CEL by tricking the ECU into thinking cats are working fine with a change in air flow downstream.

Does anyone have sound clip of PPE UEL Headers & or any other header hook up to OEM exhaust system?

On this setup is it fair to expect 28-30 WHP gain if no, what should I be expecting. I know dynos are like comparing apples with oranges and HP increases don't always translate into real world experiences.

For example I have seen videos where stock RC F's pulling bigger dyno HP numbers vs. expensive cat back systems, same conditions, same dyno. But furthering this thought I have seen two RC F one stock, the other cat back line up for several runs and the cat back RC F pulls 2 car lengths in 3rd each and every time.
I recently installed the PPE EL Headers and to answer your questions:

1. Yes, I did an alignment, but only to be sure. I don't think it needed the alignment to be honest, but I thought it was off, though multiple people told it was fine.
2. No, I only needed to install the O2 extenders, which come with the Headers, and they need to go on the mid pipe only (rear sensors) as you mentioned.
3. Yes, it should. I do not have a tune because I have a 2018 GSF, and so far I do not have any CELs.

Keep in mind that you might need to bend the oil dip stick housing. I had to do it for my PPE EL Headers, but the installer damaged my OEM housing trying to bend it, and I went back to PPE to send me a pre bent oil dip stick housing. I don't know if it is needed for the UEL Headers or not, but you can check with them.

I will attach the installation guide I received from PPE, which is actually for an RCF. The instructions are for EL Headers, but I thought the process might be the same.

As for the gains, yes it is expected to be around the 25 -30 whp. You will notice it immediately in the low and mid ranges once you have the headers on. For the sound it is below, though not a long one and a crappy phone video, but will give you an idea.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Lexus RCF Header install.pdf (473.8 KB, 486 views)

Last edited by 1wacko; 09-14-20 at 09:29 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by 1wacko:
05RollaXRS (09-14-20), 1A1 (03-02-22), flowrider (09-14-20), Lend0 (09-14-20)
Old 09-14-20, 09:58 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,484 Likes on 1,788 Posts

Gains wise, yes you should see a very good gain with the headers. 25 whp is quite typical. Regarding your question about dynos, they are very difficult to compare before/after due to the variables in dynos. Only before/after done the same day or dynos done back-to-back can be compared. However, from personal experience, a full exhaust gives a very noticeable gain in poiwer/torque across the rev range.
The following users liked this post:
1wacko (09-14-20)
Old 09-14-20, 01:31 PM
JayLexin
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Thank you all.. a few more questions:

PPE UEL RC F headers is it required to bend the oil dip stick?

Do PPE come with a micro processor for CEL like Sikky or instead they use O2 extenders/conditioners.. thanks again
Old 09-14-20, 02:43 PM
Lend0
Intermediate

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by 1wacko
PPE is 4-5 hours from me and when I go with headers it will be the EL setup installed by them. Your car sounds amazing by the way!
The following 2 users liked this post by Lend0:
1wacko (09-14-20), JayLexin (09-14-20)
Old 09-14-20, 03:10 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,933 Likes on 1,362 Posts

Thank you all.. a few more questions:

PPE UEL RC F headers is it required to bend the oil dip stick?

Do PPE come with a micro processor for CEL like Sikky or instead they use O2 extenders/conditioners.. thanks again
PPE headers now come with adjustable o2 extensions that work well. I have them now on my LC and they are more trouble free than the electronic solution I had on my ISF.

I had both UEL and EL when I had my ISF. Both required bending of the oil dipstick tube. But, AFAIK a later model of the UEL header did not require bending.

Lou
The following 2 users liked this post by flowrider:
1wacko (09-14-20), JayLexin (09-14-20)
Old 01-12-21, 06:40 PM
LSpho
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

2011 ISF but should be similar to rcf.

Mine did not come with o2 extender/spacers. Anybody know/have some from amazon or other online site that works well?

I have the RR tune but because it is very inconvenient to get anything over 93 octane where I am located so I want to be on stock tune very often. They mentioned I'll be making less power than on oem tune while running 91 on their tune. If someone does this with no issues let me know.

Last edited by LSpho; 01-12-21 at 08:48 PM.
Old 01-13-21, 09:48 AM
LoSt180
Advanced

Received 602 Likes on 327 Posts

Unequal Length install guide can be found on PPE's website: https://ppeengineering.com/wp/ppe-en...-home/support/
They have an Equal Length guide listed, but it goes to a dead link the last time I checked. I plan to scan the paper instructions that came with my EL headers whenever I get a chance.

Originally Posted by LSpho
2011 ISF but should be similar to rcf.

Mine did not come with o2 extender/spacers. Anybody know/have some from amazon or other online site that works well?

I have the RR tune but because it is very inconvenient to get anything over 93 octane where I am located so I want to be on stock tune very often. They mentioned I'll be making less power than on oem tune while running 91 on their tune. If someone does this with no issues let me know.
You will need the 90 deg elbow style ones. If you reach out to PPE directly they can sell/send you the proper ones or at least tell you what to look for. Attached in the instructions they sent me, might be able to find online based on the pics.
Attached Files
Old 02-28-22, 08:45 AM
mongars888
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it required to:

Any update on this how did the install go? I believe you don’t need to bend any dipstick for PPE UEL for RHD cars!

Also what happens when you remove the dampers off the engine mounts? Is it necessary?