RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Plan on purchasing but im just not sure

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-20, 07:56 AM
imjohnphan
Lead Lap

Received 118 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by escott1622
I don’t plan on going over 75-80k miles max because I do rely on this car and have a long commute. Although I don’t plan on keeping the car for more than 5 years I don’t want to start that high on mileage but I’m also not looking for like 20k mile cars
I trust my 200K+ mile Lexus way more than my 40K mile Mercedes. I've had 2 problems with the Mercedes at 40K miles vs 0 problems with either of my GS350's both 3rd and 4th gen at around 150K miles each. Well 1 problem with my 4th gen but that was because a fuse fell out and I couldn't figure it out lol. Drove an RCF, ISF and LC pretty hard around their little autocross course and I felt like the RCF performed probably the best. The LC felt very heavy and the ISF I honestly don't remember. But if you're looking for a more fun drive I'd get the RCF.
Old 09-28-20, 08:48 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

For the long run, ANY LEXUS will be more reliable than ANY of the Euro brands. Costs less to run and maintain too.

I had kept my old MB SLK55 AMG HARDTOP CONVERTIBLE when I bought my RCF. But after about three years of overlap ownership, the SLK55 AMG HARDTOP CONVERTIBLE had just sat there and not getting driven that much. I decided to sell the SLK55 AMG HARDTOP CONVERTIBLE BEFORE anything wrong surfaced. Although I did not have ANY problems with the SLK55 AMG the entire 10 years I had it, I thought my luck may run out soon at the time. The 5.5 liter V8 in the SLK55 AMG is a NA engine (more or less the same in the MB's line up EXCEPT without forced induction) is one of the most reliable engines in the MB models at the time. But it's the other things that will go wrong which will cost a kidney or two to fix (e.g., the hydraulic mechanism/motor for the hardtop convertible is some $3.5K to fix. Mine was still ok.).

I would not hesitate to go for a high mileage RCF IF I CAN CONFIRM ITS PROPER MAINTENANCE.

Good luck searching for the right RCF.

Originally Posted by imjohnphan
I trust my 200K+ mile Lexus way more than my 40K mile Mercedes. I've had 2 problems with the Mercedes at 40K miles vs 0 problems with either of my GS350's both 3rd and 4th gen at around 150K miles each. Well 1 problem with my 4th gen but that was because a fuse fell out and I couldn't figure it out lol. Drove an RCF, ISF and LC pretty hard around their little autocross course and I felt like the RCF performed probably the best. The LC felt very heavy and the ISF I honestly don't remember. But if you're looking for a more fun drive I'd get the RCF.
The following users liked this post:
1wacko (09-28-20)
Old 09-28-20, 09:12 AM
imjohnphan
Lead Lap

Received 118 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusrus
For the long run, ANY LEXUS will be more reliable than ANY of the Euro brands. Costs less to run and maintain too.

I had kept my old MB SLK55 AMG HARDTOP CONVERTIBLE when I bought my RCF. But after about three years of overlap ownership, the SLK55 AMG HARDTOP CONVERTIBLE had just sat there and not getting driven that much. I decided to sell the SLK55 AMG HARDTOP CONVERTIBLE BEFORE anything wrong surfaced. Although I did not have ANY problems with the SLK55 AMG the entire 10 years I had it, I thought my luck may run out soon at the time. The 5.5 liter V8 in the SLK55 AMG is a NA engine (more or less the same in the MB's line up EXCEPT without forced induction) is one of the most reliable engines in the MB models at the time. But it's the other things that will go wrong which will cost a kidney or two to fix (e.g., the hydraulic mechanism/motor for the hardtop convertible is some $3.5K to fix. Mine was still ok.).

I would not hesitate to go for a high mileage RCF IF I CAN CONFIRM ITS PROPER MAINTENANCE.

Yeah the engine in my Mercedes S550 has been okay but the air suspension on one shock went out and I replaced that myself a month ago. The part wasn't crazy expensive for a non-OEM one from a big manufacturer but I am sure if I brought it in the labor would be killer. It's funny to see BMW at the top by such a wide margin from the number 2 spot Mercedes.
Old 09-28-20, 09:41 AM
escott1622
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusrus

What’s high miles for an rcf? I imagine it’ll be beat more than a gs, I drive around 15k miles a year if not more so starting at like one with 140k miles may not be wise
Old 09-28-20, 12:32 PM
djeayzonne
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

From someone who did the same things in my teens and 20s, don't try to buy something like an RCF with that budget. Even if you can barely afford the car itself, insurance for a single 24-year old may be just as high as the monthly payment for the car (that's what happened to me buying a 93 300ZX at 19, wasn't even a turbo and insurance was more than the payment). Maintenance isn't too bad if you have an independent, but you will need to replace tires and brake pads more often.

I know you probably won't listen as I wouldn't have, but it isn't worth it at this point.

Get a used Accord coupe V6 in manual. That would be a pretty dam cool car that would be super cheap to buy and maintain.
The following 3 users liked this post by djeayzonne:
1wacko (09-28-20), Ismelllike (09-28-20), MCB1970 (09-29-20)
Old 09-28-20, 12:44 PM
escott1622
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by djeayzonne
From someone who did the same things in my teens and 20s, don't try to buy something like an RCF with that budget. Even if you can barely afford the car itself, insurance for a single 24-year old may be just as high as the monthly payment for the car (that's what happened to me buying a 93 300ZX at 19, wasn't even a turbo and insurance was more than the payment). Maintenance isn't too bad if you have an independent, but you will need to replace tires and brake pads more often.

I know you probably won't listen as I wouldn't have, but it isn't worth it at this point.

Get a used Accord coupe V6 in manual. That would be a pretty dam cool car that would be super cheap to buy and maintain.
hit the nail on the head. I was going to get quoted on both but for atleast the next 3-4 years I’m going to be in my parents insurance so the rates I don’t think will be horrible but I do all my own work on my cars I have things like a lift, tire machines, diagnostic equipment etc so maintenance isn’t bad, I’m selling my Land Rover to cover my down payment so I know a thing or two about throwing money at a car. Once I’m off my parents insurance if it’s too high I’d probably just sell it if not continue keeping it. Also the money figures I’m giving out is what I’m comfortable spending I’m not on a strict can’t afford limit it’s just what I want to spent in correlation to my income
Old 09-28-20, 10:55 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

I see what you are saying.

Given your perimeters I would recommend a very low mileage (less than 20K miles) RCF (but will be at a higher entry cost).

Or go for a well maintained high mileage RCF (around 100K miles or less) and drive it around for another 5 years at 15K miles a year. This will take it to around 175K miles which is no sweat for a well maintained RCF. Then you can decide to keep it or sell it at that time 5 years from now. This option will give you the MOST VALUE. But keep in mind the running cost/maintenance costs. Tires, brakes, fluids changes, spark plugs change at 60K, and etc.

I have currently around 76K miles on my 2015 RCF. I bought as an L certified from a Lexus dealer with some 18xx miles on the ODO. Absolute no problems. Only the regular maintenance and the two recalls (low pressure fuel pump and the high pressure fuel railings). There might have been a couple more recalls involving air bag and the Enform communication module??? I don't remember exactly.... But it's all good.

What’s high miles for an rcf? I imagine it’ll be beat more than a gs, I drive around 15k miles a year if not more so starting at like one with 140k miles may not be wise

Old 10-04-20, 10:56 AM
winterturb
Lead Lap

Received 169 Likes on 100 Posts

Op. We do t yet know where the high mileage expensive repairs are for the RCF as they haven’t been out long enough. Lots of ISF’s with 200k and no major issues. Lexus cars don’t have anywhere near the same electrical issues and maintenance gremlins that other cars have. They are much better made cars. I’ve put on over a million miles in Toyota’s and won’t buy any other brand simply because of reliability. Buy an RCF and expect it won’t give you any trouble for the first 2-300k. Seriously
change the oil and fluids and your golden.

isf owner
Old 10-04-20, 04:56 PM
SickAF
Rookie

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
I would not go for the 33k - 38K RCFs. They typically could be 2015 high mileage, lower spec with wear and tear interior/exterior, past accidents etc. Those would be absolutely the lowest end of the spectrum sales. If you want a decent, well maintained and mint conditioned RCF with good specs and not very high mileage, you are going to be looking into the 40s. If you look at mint conditioned, well spec'ed2016+ RCF and GSF, they are very close in price.

Not to sound like a jerk, but if your budget is aiming for the cheapest available RCF. If you are budget is in the 30s then I don't know if RCF would be the right car as it costs quite a bit to maintain as well. Tires, brakes etc. all cost quite a lot for it, if you pick the suitable parts for the cars.
Hi how much did you get your RC F for? Also how old was it at the time? Thanks

Last edited by SickAF; 10-04-20 at 04:56 PM. Reason: more words
Old 10-04-20, 05:19 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,495 Likes on 1,795 Posts

Originally Posted by SickAF
Hi how much did you get your RC F for? Also how old was it at the time? Thanks
It was just over 1 year old at the time. Almost brand new (still looks brand new). About 8000 miles on it. Carbon fiber/TVD package + all other options. I am in Calgary, Alberta so I paid cash through a private sale from another member on this board. All in, it cost me $65K CAD (MSRP brand new was $94K CAD). No tax on it since it was a private sale.
Old 10-04-20, 05:47 PM
SickAF
Rookie

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
It was just over 1 year old at the time. Almost brand new (still looks brand new). About 8000 miles on it. Carbon fiber/TVD package + all other options. I am in Calgary, Alberta so I paid cash through a private sale from another member on this board. All in, it cost me $65K CAD (MSRP brand new was $94K CAD). No tax on it since it was a private sale.
That was a very good deal.
Old 10-04-20, 05:58 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,495 Likes on 1,795 Posts

Originally Posted by SickAF
That was a very good deal.
That is true. Got lucky after 10 months of searching. Had PPF and tint already on it. It is the only one in my city with molten pearl and carbon/TVD. I even travelled 2 hours north to see another one just like mine, which was a dealership demo, but it had 16,000 miles and had curb rash, rock chips. Funny thing is, they were asking for MORE and were not willing to negotiate than this private seller who was willing to reduce $2000. I came back and quickly made the deal LOL

The dealership even featured that exact RCF in a promotional video. It looks great in the video, but in real life I saw wear on it.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 10-04-20 at 06:02 PM.
Old 10-16-20, 12:09 PM
Blaque Diamond Wheels
Former Sponsor

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

You got great choices there! Both GS350 F-Sport and RCF are just sweet rides to consider!
You might also wanna take a look at the GS-Fs too although they're just a little pricey for a sedan

Here are some of our customer's RCF for your inspiration though. Enjoy!!
- Both White RCFs are sitting on our BD-11 wheels. One with the Matte Antique Bronze and the other one's on Polished Rose-Gold finish
- The Blue RCF's on our Silver BD-23 wheels with Chrome SS Lip

Old 10-17-20, 05:06 PM
CinFulxgs
Pole Position

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

How do I get a F[society] sticker?
Old 10-17-20, 07:14 PM
cvt
Racer

Received 547 Likes on 363 Posts

im not a big fan of the isf.
Drive one and you will be. I guarantee it. It’ll run circles around a GS350. Not even in the same league. Also rare AF.