RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Plan on purchasing but im just not sure

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-20, 05:51 PM
escott1622
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plan on purchasing but im just not sure

I plan on buying a lexus in the next 10 months and i know little to nothing about them so i am doing my research now. I have a price in mind of hopefully around 28-34k and I have an idea of what i want which is the 2016+ gs350 fsport or a RCF. I come from the German car world and i know all the models and options off the top of my head but im tired of fixing them and want to give lexus a try, I mentioned previously to someone about the gs350 and mentioned the things i may want and they also mentioned to look at an rcf which i never knew existed and instantly fell in love with. I am stuck between the two cars and am not sure which one to get because i know so little about them. Things i am hoping to get from replies are things like reliability, prices, must have features, and overall opinions of choosing either car ( i will also post in the GS forum to get their side to alleviate any bias). Just to give you a quick summary of how i will use the car is that i will use it to commute to work, i am a 24 with no kids and i do have a backup suv/truck that i can always use and i live in pittsburgh pa. One thing many will say is issues with snow but ive been daily driving a rwd mercedes for years in the snow and have been fine. I apologize for being so ignorant when it comes to these cars because ive never driven one or even knew anyone that has had one so i know little to nothing about them. I love the GS but im a big car guy and i love the idea of the rcf. If i get one i really dont want over 60-70k miles because i am hoping to not have to constantly work on it which is why im moving to lexus.
Old 09-27-20, 05:56 PM
tuscani66
Pit Crew

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

Since you're considering the GS350 F-Sport, have you considered the GS-F? Obviously you know the two cars between GS350 and RC-F are very different but was curious.

So since you've admitted to not knowing of the RCF (Coupe V8 5.0L) but considered the GS350, which is a sedan; they make a sedan called GS-F and it too has the 5.0L V8 motor and are quite uncommon so you'll like the uniqueness given.

Good luck man!

Go Steelers,
Keoni.
Old 09-27-20, 06:01 PM
escott1622
Driver School Candidate

I have looked at the gsf actually after seeing the rcf but it seems the gsf is far out of my budget almost 10k above the fsport. Rcf is on the higher end of my budget but seems to be some here and there at 33-38k. I dont mind going a tad over my budget to get a good car but the average price for the rcf is alot cheaper than the gsf
Old 09-27-20, 06:09 PM
tuscani66
Pit Crew

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

I'm sure you have your reasons for year ranges but just a side note - there is no structure or cosmetic (*major) difference between 2015 GSF and the 2019 GSF (unless you get 2018 10th anniversary edition but that is different conversation).

So maybe a 2015 might fit your budget? Get what you want naturally and maybe its the RCF.
Old 09-27-20, 06:14 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,495 Likes on 1,795 Posts

Originally Posted by escott1622
I have looked at the gsf actually after seeing the rcf but it seems the gsf is far out of my budget almost 10k above the fsport. Rcf is on the higher end of my budget but seems to be some here and there at 33-38k. I dont mind going a tad over my budget to get a good car but the average price for the rcf is alot cheaper than the gsf
I would not go for the 33k - 38K RCFs. They typically could be 2015 high mileage, lower spec with wear and tear interior/exterior, past accidents etc. Those would be absolutely the lowest end of the spectrum sales. If you want a decent, well maintained and mint conditioned RCF with good specs and not very high mileage, you are going to be looking into the 40s. If you look at mint conditioned, well spec'ed2016+ RCF and GSF, they are very close in price.

Not to sound like a jerk, but if your budget is aiming for the cheapest available RCF. If you are budget is in the 30s then I don't know if RCF would be the right car as it costs quite a bit to maintain as well. Tires, brakes etc. all cost quite a lot for it, if you pick the suitable parts for the cars.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 09-27-20 at 06:18 PM.
Old 09-27-20, 06:19 PM
escott1622
Driver School Candidate

I checked online and even searching nationwide the GSF is still 45+ and the cheapest rcf is is around 38 and are lower mileage. New cost of both are very different so i imagine thats why. I think the reason i like the rcf is if im making the sacrifice of losing two doors and awd i better have that 5.0 and rwd i have zero interest in getting a non F RC if that makes any sense. I love the GS because it seems well equipted sporty and reliable while also comfortable and the rcf although small is just an animal. So i am deciding between a RCF and GS350 but whenever i actually pull the trigger if a GSF is within my price range id buy it but for now lets just leave that one out. Great suggestion though
Old 09-27-20, 06:30 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

I checked online and even searching nationwide the GSF is still 45+ and the cheapest rcf is is around 38 and are lower mileage. New cost of both are very different so i imagine thats why. I think the reason i like the rcf is if im making the sacrifice of losing two doors and awd i better have that 5.0 and rwd i have zero interest in getting a non F RC if that makes any sense. I love the GS because it seems well equipted sporty and reliable while also comfortable and the rcf although small is just an animal. So i am deciding between a RCF and GS350 but whenever i actually pull the trigger if a GSF is within my price range id buy it but for now lets just leave that one out. Great suggestion though
That is why I said above, specs are very important. The base model for the RCF is cheaper at $65K because it had far more option packages available. However, the top spec RCF fully optioned out and carbon package/TVD had an MSRP of $89K in 2019. That is why details are important about those lower end of the spectrum RCFs. We have seen this with other perspective buyers in the past on this forum.
Old 09-27-20, 06:37 PM
escott1622
Driver School Candidate

I expected that response because i knew i was not going to get a quality car for that price range i mentioned but its more of my starting range i want to stay in the low 30's but i know a nice lower mileage on will instantly kick me into the 40's but now knowing what you said ill take it into consideration, I am willing to shell out more money to get the exact car i want but id prefer not to unless i need to if that makes sense. I dont need all the options so i am sticking with base models for now. What is a good mileage range for these cars im not sure because im always used to german so anything above 50k in german land is on its way out.
Old 09-27-20, 06:46 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

I expected that response because i knew i was not going to get a quality car for that price range i mentioned but its more of my starting range i want to stay in the low 30's but i know a nice lower mileage on will instantly kick me into the 40's but now knowing what you said ill take it into consideration, I am willing to shell out more money to get the exact car i want but id prefer not to unless i need to if that makes sense. I dont need all the options so i am sticking with base models for now. What is a good mileage range for these cars im not sure because im always used to german so anything above 50k in german land is on its way out.
Reliability and longevity is not an issue. These cars could easily do high mileage without any issues. Problem is, as mileage gets higher, wear and tear means parts need to be replaced. Those parts cost quite a bit. In a high mileage car, you are dependent on how the previous owners treated the car and how diligent they were with the up keep?

Speaking of high mileage F cars. Never seen a 100K+ mile RCF, but this is a 100K mile GSF and still looks great in pictures. Going for $35K

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...5473/overview/
Old 09-27-20, 06:51 PM
escott1622
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Reliability and longevity is not an issue. These cars could easily do high mileage without any issues. Problem is, as mileage gets higher, wear and tear means parts need to be replaced. Those parts cost quite a bit. In a high mileage car, you are dependent on how the previous owners treated the car and how diligent they were with the up keep?

Speaking of high mileage F cars. Never seen a 100K+ mile RCF, but this is a 100K mile GSF and still looks great in pictures. Going for $35K

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...5473/overview/
I don’t plan on going over 75-80k miles max because I do rely on this car and have a long commute. Although I don’t plan on keeping the car for more than 5 years I don’t want to start that high on mileage but I’m also not looking for like 20k mile cars
Old 09-27-20, 07:11 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

I don’t plan on going over 75-80k miles max because I do rely on this car and have a long commute. Although I don’t plan on keeping the car for more than 5 years I don’t want to start that high on mileage but I’m also not looking for like 20k mile cars
Makes sense. Good luck with your purchase. RCF is a phenomenal car. I have had it for 3.5 years and now at 11K miles with small bolt on mods here and there. It is a blast to drive and morphs like a chameleon into how you want to drive it.

Here is a carfax generic search on RCFs across US. The cheapest reasonable 2015 on this site is around $40K with about 41K miles. Some of these low-40s one could be negotiated down a couple of grand or so.

https://www.carfax.com/Used-Lexus-RC-F_t6619

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 09-27-20 at 10:52 PM.
Old 09-27-20, 10:42 PM
chris07is
Pole Position

Received 92 Likes on 66 Posts

Since your in a budget, IS F. Boom, done!
The following users liked this post:
cvt (10-17-20)
Old 09-28-20, 07:24 AM
escott1622
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by chris07is
Since your in a budget, IS F. Boom, done!
do they still make them? I can’t find many for sale
Old 09-28-20, 07:44 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

do they still make them? I can’t find many for sale
Last year was 2014. You would want a 2010+ since they came with LSD. You can find quite a few on carfax. They are in the low-to-high 20s depending on condition, year, specs, mileage etc. Some of the very low mileage, mint condition examples have asking prices in the 30s.

https://www.carfax.com/Used-Lexus-IS-F_t3861

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/lexus/is-f

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 09-28-20 at 07:47 AM.
Old 09-28-20, 07:48 AM
escott1622
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Last year was 2014. You would want a 2010+ since they came with LSD. You can find quite a few on carfax. They are in the low-to-high 20s depending on condition, year, specs, mileage etc. Some of the very low mileage, mint condition examples have asking prices in the 30s.

https://www.carfax.com/Used-Lexus-IS-F_t3861

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/lexus/is-f
im not a big fan of the isf. I’d like to stay 2016 and newer I’m just not a big fan of the interior

Quick Reply: Plan on purchasing but im just not sure