RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Seriously considering RC-F, Is TVD a must?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-20, 06:49 AM
Yri
Advanced

Received 145 Likes on 115 Posts

Also, don't forget to mention that the GS F comes standard with a TVD, although it doesn't have a carbon fiber roof.
The following users liked this post:
AlexAviles (11-11-20)
Old 11-11-20, 09:12 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,484 Likes on 1,788 Posts

Originally Posted by nigel821
Appreciate all the info. I'm hoping the dealer has both so I can drive and see if a TVD is something that I would notably regret not getting at a later time. Dumb question but is the RCF due for a complete refresh anytime soon? I know they updated it in 2019 slightly. But I just want to make sure say 2022 isn't the big year where things get changed completely and it's a different car so to speak.
RCF went through just a refresh and it is closing to the end of its lifecycle. Most probably RCF will not continue after the 2022 model year so not likely at all that there will be another refresh. Also, if you test drive both cars then skip all of the modes and go straight for sport+/manual modes. Put the TVD in slalom for the TVD RCF. As CTL-F said above, you should feel the difference in how the cars behave. The main question is, whether it is worth the extra money or not?

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 11-11-20 at 09:16 AM.
Old 11-11-20, 12:19 PM
RCFGrandpa
Intermediate

Received 337 Likes on 156 Posts
Default TVD Is Not A Must

I'm at the point in my life where I want a new car. First car I bought 15 years ago was my 05' STi, which I still own, very fun car but all the mods I've done to it, it needs to be on the track (it is not a comfortable car on the street). After that I have just normal cars that serve a specific purpose...lol (truck, daily commuter, nice four door MB). My wife has a Lexus NX and it's nice inside, but completely lacks power which is super disappointing when I drive it. It's very anemic.

I always loved the GS-F, but that's on the way out plus, there's no need to have three 4 door vehicles since it's really just my wife and I. My daily which is a 2 door Solara convertible is nice and roomy inside but it's just me driving it so honestly I don't think going to a smaller 2 door coupe is going to be a problem.

I was looking at the older RC-F but everything local here has the all red interior and that's hideous to me. It's just too much red. The new one I just built with either a red or white interior is perfect. It's enough color to not be blinding to the eyes like the first RC-F's are to me.

The thing I'm getting hung up on is with the TVD? I can't tell or know if this is something that is needed. I will NEVER take the RC-F to the track, it's too heavy. I feel like this would be my new daily driver, so I want something with technology (android auto/carplay), heated seats/steering wheel..etc, and when I put my foot down I want to hear the engine and feel the rumble to take off. It's really not a huge list. I want something comfortable and luxurious. I always loved e63's but I know deep down it's going to be expensive ride and considering I keep cars long (10 years at least), I want something that I'm going to enjoy but also not spend a crazy amount on maintenance which Toyota/Lexus should be considering past experience with them. This is all very tempting because Lexus is doing 0% APR for 60 months, so it seems decent.

I like the newer RC-F because of the larger navigation screen, which I think is a huge pro over the smaller one. The front restyle is ok as well. I actually like the check marks on the bumper compared to in the headlights now.

Other than that should I be looking at MUST have options for the driving experience?

When I build it I do the following:
Premium package
Mark Levinson audio w/navigation
White leather/silver trim
Orange calipers
Cold Weather package
Moonroof
Triple beam headlights
Polished wheels

I think pretty much all options minus the carbon package (at that total RC-F price point it's P-Car money). I am just not sure if I would notice/really make use of the TVD? I read as well getting that without the carbon package is actually heavier setup.

Did they address the spoiler issue with it retracting in the later years?

Looks like a fun car, and I'd like to get something that is naturally aspirated before they are gone for good.

-Nigel
I ordered my 2015 RCF without the TVD. Reason is the service and repair costs. I chose the positraction a proven axle. Either way you will enjoy your new RCF. I also have a new LC500 and I personally like the RCF a lot better because it is a bit edgy. What was the spoiler problem, I had not heard of it?
Old 11-11-20, 03:11 PM
Lend0
Intermediate

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Can someone please point to the documented instances where the TVD has failed and needed to be replaced?
Old 11-11-20, 03:41 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Lend0
Can someone please point to the documented instances where the TVD has failed and needed to be replaced?
Like I said, no such case. Never heard of anyone experiencing issues with TVD so far. Some RCFs are now in the 60K - 70K miles now.

As a side, this is a great picture explaining how TVD works. Notice, at corner entry, how it reduces load on the brakes under brake/turning by applying reverse torque (more on the inside and less on the outside).

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 11-11-20 at 03:58 PM.
1wacko (11-12-20)
Old 11-11-20, 04:19 PM
brendanf
Advanced

Received 152 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Lend0
Check the GSF forum. There was a couple in there. $20k to replace and that was for a USED unit.
Old 11-11-20, 04:26 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by brendanf
Check the GSF forum. There was a couple in there. $20k to replace and that was for a USED unit.
Can you post a link? I could not find any.

1 or 2 out tens of thousands for GSF and RCF is hardly anything to be alarmed about. There are a couple of RCFs with oil consumption issues that required expensive rebuild. Again, the probability of an engine or transmission failure is much higher than the TVD failing because they sustain a lot more stress.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rc-...l#post10413746

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 11-11-20 at 04:32 PM.
Old 11-11-20, 04:29 PM
AlexAviles
Intermediate

Received 146 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by RCFGrandpa
I ordered my 2015 RCF without the TVD. Reason is the service and repair costs. I chose the positraction a proven axle. Either way you will enjoy your new RCF. I also have a new LC500 and I personally like the RCF a lot better because it is a bit edgy. What was the spoiler problem, I had not heard of it?
The spoiler issue was a programming thing with the first batch of RC Fs. They are set to do a self check every 100 wing activations and the original programing had a low count threshold that would make them fail the self test and the wing would get stuck in whatever position it was in when the self test was performed. Software patch was implemented almost immediately.
Old 11-11-20, 06:40 PM
nigel821
Racer

Received 778 Likes on 482 Posts

Awesome information! Thank you! I'll post up shortly here when we get to the dealer.

Now building one I am looking at the flare yellow. Just crazy that you have to get it with the CF package yet you can get a rc 350 f sport in flare yellow no problem...lol Seems odd how Lexus packaged this with that specific color only to get the cf package and then you'd lose the moon roof feature.. I had a yellow wrx back in the day and loved the sonic yellow color. The flare yellow after watching a youtube video is just flat out gorgeous. It just pops! I can only imagine what it looks like in person.

I think that was a concern as well with the TVD in terms of costs long term but it seems like very very few problems so that is reassuring. IE: Mercedes has airmatic suspension and it's notorious and quite expensive when (not if) it fails, either lines, pumps, struts..etc. You have a few thousand dollar repair bill. Rides awesome, but near the 8-10 year mark you have to prepare yourself for the impending repair/break fix. I want to avoid things like that considering how long I keep cars. I feel easier now with knowing the TVD isn't some bomb waiting to explode.

-Nigel
Old 11-11-20, 06:48 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

The yellow looks great on the 2020 RCF with carbon. Oddly, it did not look great on the 2017 - 2019 RCF (replaced the Molten Pearl that was available in 2015 - 2016). The 2020 carbon fiber skirts make a difference.

I would say great choice. I think in 2020, you can get the carbon fiber package without TVD?

The following 2 users liked this post by 05RollaXRS:
1wacko (11-12-20), nigel821 (11-12-20)
Old 11-12-20, 05:52 AM
nigel821
Racer

Arrow

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
The yellow looks great on the 2020 RCF with carbon. Oddly, it did not look great on the 2017 - 2019 RCF (replaced the Molten Pearl that was available in 2015 - 2016). The 2020 carbon fiber skirts make a difference.

I would say great choice. I think in 2020, you can get the carbon fiber package without TVD?

Very Beautiful!!! I'm sure it's jaw dropping in person. I love this!
It's just a hard pill at 11k for the cf package...lol. If it was half the cost it would be a no brainer. Love how it looks. The two things I'm not 100% sold on is the loss of the moon roof, and the rear CF spoiler. I actually prefer the spoiler to be body colored as it looks nicer to me, rather than a stuck on/added later feature. (even though it's not).

You are correct, I just built another one and you can get the CF package without the TVD option.

EDIT:
Can anyone give details on long term exterior OEM CF pieces and how they hold up to the weather? I ask because on older vehicles (bmw's and their cf roofs) that came with CF from the factory after a some time they start to look "cloudy".. Just wondering if any extra care or protection is needed compared to if the roof was painted the factory color.

-Nigel

Last edited by nigel821; 11-12-20 at 06:23 AM.
Old 11-12-20, 07:01 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

EDIT:
Can anyone give details on long term exterior OEM CF pieces and how they hold up to the weather? I ask because on older vehicles (bmw's and their cf roofs) that came with CF from the factory after a some time they start to look "cloudy".. Just wondering if any extra care or protection is needed compared to if the roof was painted the factory color.

-Nigel
Cannot speak for someone who keeps it outdoors. Mine is kept in a climate controlled garage and no issues or complaints with the carbon fiber. Mine 4.5 years old and looks brand new. Biggest advantage about it is, how much it shaves right off the top compared to a moonroof. It also looks great in real life. Some RCF owners with moonroof have complained it develops a rattle over time. Something to keep in mind.
nigel821 (11-12-20)
Old 11-12-20, 04:48 PM
brendanf
Advanced

Received 152 Likes on 94 Posts

Mine is 5yrs old now and the CF roof and spoiler is in perfect condition and it spends all its time outdoors except for the winter when it spends most of its time in the garage.

Lexus OEM CF is top notch quality. My only recommendation would be to get them PPF and ceramic coated to protect them. I don’t even want to think what it would cost to replace a CF roof if it suffered a stone chip.
Old 11-15-20, 07:33 AM
nigel821
Racer

Arrow

Headed to dealer tomorrow at 11am since I have to get a dent pulled out from my wife's NX.

Just browsing online I found this one:
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ckType=listing

Seems to have EVERY option I want, via interiot, exterior color/CF package AND TVD, but it does not have the oem polished wheels. Just has the base wheels. It's a 2020 so I guess Android Auto is not a part of this which sucks. Do we know if there is an update or if Android auto can be added to the OEM stereo? I did an update about a year ago to my wife's NX which added Apple Car play support. I know the 2021's have Android auto but I didn't read anything about the RCF for 2020 having android auto.

-Nigel
Old 11-15-20, 08:30 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,934 Likes on 1,363 Posts

^^^^Base wheels would be my choice

Lou

Quick Reply: Seriously considering RC-F, Is TVD a must?