RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Seriously considering RC-F, Is TVD a must?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-20, 09:03 AM
nigel821
Racer

Received 769 Likes on 479 Posts
Arrow Seriously considering RC-F, Is TVD a must?

I'm at the point in my life where I want a new car. First car I bought 15 years ago was my 05' STi, which I still own, very fun car but all the mods I've done to it, it needs to be on the track (it is not a comfortable car on the street). After that I have just normal cars that serve a specific purpose...lol (truck, daily commuter, nice four door MB). My wife has a Lexus NX and it's nice inside, but completely lacks power which is super disappointing when I drive it. It's very anemic.

I always loved the GS-F, but that's on the way out plus, there's no need to have three 4 door vehicles since it's really just my wife and I. My daily which is a 2 door Solara convertible is nice and roomy inside but it's just me driving it so honestly I don't think going to a smaller 2 door coupe is going to be a problem.

I was looking at the older RC-F but everything local here has the all red interior and that's hideous to me. It's just too much red. The new one I just built with either a red or white interior is perfect. It's enough color to not be blinding to the eyes like the first RC-F's are to me.

The thing I'm getting hung up on is with the TVD? I can't tell or know if this is something that is needed. I will NEVER take the RC-F to the track, it's too heavy. I feel like this would be my new daily driver, so I want something with technology (android auto/carplay), heated seats/steering wheel..etc, and when I put my foot down I want to hear the engine and feel the rumble to take off. It's really not a huge list. I want something comfortable and luxurious. I always loved e63's but I know deep down it's going to be expensive ride and considering I keep cars long (10 years at least), I want something that I'm going to enjoy but also not spend a crazy amount on maintenance which Toyota/Lexus should be considering past experience with them. This is all very tempting because Lexus is doing 0% APR for 60 months, so it seems decent.

I like the newer RC-F because of the larger navigation screen, which I think is a huge pro over the smaller one. The front restyle is ok as well. I actually like the check marks on the bumper compared to in the headlights now.

Other than that should I be looking at MUST have options for the driving experience?

When I build it I do the following:
Premium package
Mark Levinson audio w/navigation
White leather/silver trim
Orange calipers
Cold Weather package
Moonroof
Triple beam headlights
Polished wheels

I think pretty much all options minus the carbon package (at that total RC-F price point it's P-Car money). I am just not sure if I would notice/really make use of the TVD? I read as well getting that without the carbon package is actually heavier setup.

Did they address the spoiler issue with it retracting in the later years?

Looks like a fun car, and I'd like to get something that is naturally aspirated before they are gone for good.

-Nigel
Old 11-09-20, 09:48 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,904 Likes on 1,342 Posts

You'll get lot's of opinions on this, but IMHO, No! If it were me, I'd pass. The stock Torsen is very good, again IMHO. I have it on my LC. If I were buying an RCF, I would opt instead for the Torsen. As far as an NA engine, I'm with you there
Old 11-09-20, 09:56 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,475 Likes on 1,780 Posts

It is not a must. Majority of the RCF have LSD. It comes down to personal preference. However, it does have its pluses. I have a carbon fiber/TVD RCF and it is a marvelous piece of engineering that feels very organic with the dynamics of the car. Even on regular streets in the city, it makes the car turn faster both entry, exit and under braking. It makes the car more fun to drive as the responses are very crisp and instantaneous. I plan on taking mine to the track next summer when a new track opens up in my city and I am sure the TVD really will come in handy.

However, the stock LSD for most drivers is sufficient and would not see it worth the extra cost.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 11-09-20 at 10:23 AM.
Old 11-09-20, 11:05 AM
cvt
Racer

Received 545 Likes on 361 Posts

Needed: No

But for someone who has an LSD...I regret not getting one. Just with them spec’d with the carbon roof and wing is worth it.

maybe I’m looking at it like the grass is greener on the other side but I liked how the TVD behaved on roads. I do need to preface that I’m not a track junkie and I like to just use the car to commute and do the odd sprites run here and there.

Have you test driven one? I say if you are strongly considering it and you like how it behaves then just get it. 😊
The following 2 users liked this post by cvt:
AlexAviles (11-09-20), Yri (11-09-20)
Old 11-09-20, 11:29 AM
brendanf
Advanced

Received 152 Likes on 94 Posts

Don’t bother with the TVD even if you decide to track it.

it just adds weight and is insanely expensive to replace if it ever breaks.
Old 11-09-20, 01:32 PM
winterturb
Lead Lap

Received 169 Likes on 100 Posts

Even in P territory I'd buy the RCF. In fact I did, I sold a 1996 911 Twin Turbo and replaced it with an ISF. For the type of driving you are doing LSD is suffice. The reliability of the Lexus cannot be overlooked. Its so nice not to have to live near a stealership. (mine is 2.5 hours away)
Old 11-09-20, 03:47 PM
AlexAviles
Intermediate

Received 146 Likes on 81 Posts

There’s nothing wrong with a good ol’ fashioned torsen lsd. I have and like the tech idea behind the TVD but I also miss the smooth predictability of the torsen while sliding around and having some smiles. It is definitely apparent when the tvd is doing its work so it most definitely changes the overall character of the car. It may be the most apparent characteristic and unique feeling of driving the car to me so give one a test drive and see if you like it. You’ll definitely feel what it’s doing in different modes. I guess the other thing to consider is there is more maintenance involved seeing that there’s 3 separate areas to drain and fill when servicing, the diff and the 2 clutches.... but then again, that carbon roof and spoiler are sexy! Looks like you have a real conundrum of a choice to make.
Old 11-09-20, 05:17 PM
Yri
Advanced

Received 145 Likes on 115 Posts

The TVD is a quite nice addition for sporty driving/ track driving, but for everyday commuting, it really doesn't have an impact. The stock Torsen does the job just fine, and chances are, it may be slightly more reliable than the TVD in the long run (the TVD adjusts the torque by clutch packs on each axle, slowing an axle to transfer more torque to the opposite axle), so the way I see it is, if you're gonna keep the car for quite some time, you may as well buy a Torsen as a TVD could just be another something to wear out in a couple of years. Anyway, it is your choice!
Old 11-09-20, 05:45 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Yri
The TVD is a quite nice addition for sporty driving/ track driving, but for everyday commuting, it really doesn't have an impact.
Sporty driving can be a part of street driving (as it is for me). If you take turns in a spirited manner in slow or fast turns, it will very noticeably even on the streets where it makes the nose respond sharply off-center with rapid transition inputs either accelerating or braking. It also makes the tail slide out quite easily coming out of a turn at high rpms.

Also, I want to point out, TVD actually improved weight distribution since it is on the rear axle with the carbon fiber actually lowering the center of gravity. I don't think there is any issue with reliability as never heard any TVD unit having issues. It is a Lexus afterall.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 11-09-20 at 05:49 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 05RollaXRS:
krill (03-24-22), Yri (11-09-20)
Old 11-09-20, 05:52 PM
Yri
Advanced

Received 145 Likes on 115 Posts

Eventually, those clutch packs will wear down (probably faster than in an automatic transmission), whether that be in 10, 15 or even 20 years. I haven't heard of a catastrophic failure yet, but there again, the car has been out for 5 years. I doubt it'll have any other problems than the clutch packs. Also, it does help somewhat with weight distribution and it does help the car to turn in, but it is electronic compared to the Torsen (I prefer mechanical differentials as they can be extremely predictable, not saying the TVD is unpredictable or anything)

Last edited by Yri; 11-09-20 at 05:56 PM.
Old 11-09-20, 06:08 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Yri
Eventually, those clutch packs will wear down (probably faster than in an automatic transmission), whether that be in 10, 15 or even 20 years. I haven't heard of a catastrophic failure yet, but there again, the car has been out for 5 years. I doubt it'll have any other problems than the clutch packs. Also, it does help somewhat with weight distribution and it does help the car to turn in, but it is electronic compared to the Torsen (I prefer mechanical differentials as they can be extremely predictable, not saying the TVD is unpredictable or anything)
There is absolutely no evidence of that. Let's not speculate. This is not a BMW SMG unit. The TVD is designed to work for the lifetime of the car and Lexus designed it just like the engine and transmission. I am sure the engine or transmission failure rate would be a bigger issue than the TVD failure (which is non-existent for a Lexus car).
The following users liked this post:
Yri (11-09-20)
Old 11-10-20, 04:46 AM
nigel821
Racer

Arrow

Appreciate all the information! I live in VA so as much as I'd like to hoon around the streets, it's just way too easy to get a reckless driving here, which turns into a complete nightmare for cost/lawyers/points/and one's job depending on the field...etc. 80 and above is considered reckless. I already have gotten tickets for speeding in the trusty Solara so driving around the streets in a sporty manor probably isn't going to happen. I like to punch it here and there but I think just having a comfortable n/a car that can put power down and is nice to look at is what I'm going for now. At almost 40 years old as much as I love my STi, I feel like driving that around when I want to have fun in my boy ricer car (even though it's not riced out at all, just loud, catless, tuned....etc) brings a lot of attention that I'm growing out of. My motorcycle doesn't get ridden more than maybe a hand full of times a year, and that too will probably get sold off.

I've never sat in on the RCF yet. After a lot of research I was surprised at how much leg room there is. I'm 6'2" so that is important and I want to be comfortable. Good point on test driving both if the dealership has both setup for a TVD/non TVD. It's amazing to me that years ago I'd more than likely be happy with just the base RSF... but after building one I really feel like I would need all the options I listed above which does dramatically increase the price. I LOVE cf, but I just can't justify it in my head, that a cf roof, rear spoiler and other bits is 11k. I wouldn't mind the rear cf spoiler and the front to have CF, but I love moon roofs, so to me, I'd much rather be able to look at the sky than to save 50lbs..lol (would be awesome if the RCF had an option for a glass roof sorta like the f-type.)

Dumb question but if you were handed two RCF's one with TVD and one without and the person did not tell you which had what. Would you be able to tell? IE: Someone that's never been in either and was handed the keys. Would you be like "oh something felt much better/different than the other one? I ask this in terms of "you don't know what you don't know and you don't know what you are missing if you never had it". My STi, has a DCCD (driver controlled center differential) and the only time that I would adjust or kick it to the rear would be in winter to drift around a snowy corner... other than that it never got touched so as much as a "cool" factor that was, I never really noticed/used it. That's what I'm trying to avoid..hahah

Are there any items that you guys/gals do not like about the RCF (sorry put GSF initially, you can tell I am still thinking of a GSF..lol)? Anything that truly stands out that is a huge complaint?

I didn't realize the US market didn't get power folding mirrors. I thought for sure that would have been an option. I could care less about a power closing trunk but the mirrors would be nice especially when parking.

Thanks,
-Nigel

Last edited by nigel821; 11-10-20 at 05:49 AM.
Old 11-10-20, 05:10 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by nigel821
At almost 40 years old as much as I love my STi, I feel like driving that around when I want to have fun in my boy ricer car (even though it's not riced out at all, just loud, catless, tuned....etc) brings a lot of attention that I'm growing out of. My motorcycle doesn't get ridden more than maybe a hand full of times a year, and that too will probably get sold off.
If you got tickets in Solara then I would be concerned LOL RCF has well over double the horsepower compared to a Solara V6. I am your age and at this stage, I just enjoy short sprints here and there and like modifying the RCF. At about 505 - 510 HP in the current state, it has more than enough HP for me and I still get to put two baby seats in the back with wife in the passenger seat. With the V8 rumble from the full aftermarket exhaust, it is a win-win.

I've never sat in on the RCF yet. After a lot of research I was surprised at how much leg room there is. I'm 6'2" so that is important and I want to be comfortable. Good point on test driving both if the dealership has both setup for a TVD/non TVD. It's amazing to me that years ago I'd more than likely be happy with just the base RSF... but after building one I really feel like I would need all the options I listed above which does dramatically increase the price. I LOVE cf, but I just can't justify it in my head, that a cf roof, rear spoiler and other bits is 11k. I wouldn't mind the rear cf spoiler and the front to have CF, but I love moon roofs, so to me, I'd much rather be able to look at the sky than to save 50lbs..lol (would be awesome if the RCF had an option for a glass roof sorta like the f-type.)
You definitely want to steer away from moonroof since the head room is less for a tall person like in the moonroof version. Either carbon fiber or steel roof. Yes, the weight difference between the carbon fiber and moonroof is about 50 - 60 lbs or so and it is right at the tallest point.

Dumb question but if you were handed two RCF's one with TVD and one without and the person did not tell you which had what. Would you be able to tell? IE: Someone that's never been in either and was handed the keys. Would you be like "oh something felt much better/different than the other one? I ask this in terms of "you don't know what you don't know and you don't know what you are missing if you never had it". My STi, has a DCCD (driver controlled center differential) and the only time that I would adjust or kick it to the rear would be in winter to drift around a snowy corner... other than that it never got touched so as much as a "cool" factor that was, I never really noticed/used it. That's what I'm trying to avoid..hahah
Yes, you totally will even on the streets. Put both of the cars in sport+/manual mode and TVD in 'slalom' mode on the TVD RCF. The LSD RCF in sport+/manual mode and downshift before every turn to the lowest gear and take the turn. You will notice a difference in how the initial turn-in is and how the TVD RCF will rotate through the turn under acceleration or braking. I believe C&D did a 0.99g with a 2020 TVD RCF. The driving impressions were confirmed by someone who owned both a TVD and LSD RCF. His screen name is @Ctrl-F

Are there any items that you guys/gals do not like about the GSF? Anything that truly stands out that is a huge complaint?
GSF is a great car in its own right. Both cars have their pluses. The RCF is a much smaller car and the chassis/suspension are tuned stiffer on the RCF. The chassis has like 100 lbs of bracing on it. The width is the same at 73 inches, but the wheelbase is much shorter on the RCF (wheelbase to width aspect ratio) also makes it more eager to understeer/oversteer. It is also lighter. The GSF gives you more practicality, room and trunk space. Depends on what you prefer. The RCF (2020) has a bit more power and revised shorter gearing.

I didn't realize the US market didn't get power folding mirrors. I thought for sure that would have been an option. I could care less about a power closing trunk but the mirrors would be nice especially when parking.

Thanks,
-Nigel
Yeah, my RX450h has auto folding mirrors. It is a neat feature, but the RCF is such a great car that it is really a non-factor.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 11-10-20 at 05:22 AM.
Old 11-10-20, 11:48 AM
Ctrl-F
Pole Position

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

TVD is not a must but is desirable, at least from my perspective. I had an older model, a ’16 non-TVD, LSD, RC F with moonroof before trading it in for a 2020 with TVD, non-performance package. I can tell the difference between the two in driving. With the TVD, the car is more nimbler around corners, of course, as torque is applied to the wheels. Do a test drive.

With the new models, you can spec your build to have a moonroof and TVD and I’ve seen ones being sold with them. By chance, mine came without a moonroof but with TVD (didn’t care for the moonroof). I prefer having the TVD even if I don’t use it all the time.

Several YouTube reviewers mentioned they’d spec the RC F w/o the $11K performance/carbon package. I like carbon as well but not for $11K. You can buy the OEM carbon spoiler used and a front carbon part separately.

No complaints about my car though the power-folding mirrors and an electronic hand brake would’ve been nice.
Old 11-11-20, 06:04 AM
nigel821
Racer

Appreciate all the info. I'm hoping the dealer has both so I can drive and see if a TVD is something that I would notably regret not getting at a later time. Dumb question but is the RCF due for a complete refresh anytime soon? I know they updated it in 2019 slightly. But I just want to make sure say 2022 isn't the big year where things get changed completely and it's a different car so to speak. My wife's NX has the electric parking brake. Which is cool I guess, but just seems to me like something that will break eventually and cost a crap ton to fix..lol.

Has anyone retrofitted power folding mirrors from a different country to their US version? I had to do that with our w211 MB. Euro spec came standard with power folding mirrors yet, USA we didn't get it at all. I bought both mirror motor assemblies, took my mirrors apart, installed new. Bought a new cabin switch and then had to code the car, but now it's all working and is factory. I'd probably do the same to the RCF if it's possible.

-Nigel

Quick Reply: Seriously considering RC-F, Is TVD a must?