ASC Location

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-20, 12:08 PM
Dribble
Driver

Received 66 Likes on 37 Posts
Default ASC Location

Hey Guys,

I couldn't find anything definitive with respect to where the Active Sound Control Module or speaker is located in the RCF.

I have read that it is in the dash (in front of the driver), on the passenger side behind glove box, in the rear speaker hatch behind the back seat. I have looked everywhere on the web and cannot find a schematic that clearly indicates where these are. I am nervous about bringing my vehicle to the Lexus Dealer and have the technician pull apart my dash. The service manager didn't even know what model my vehicle was....he said nice F Sport.....drives me crazy.

Any help would be most appreciated.
Old 11-10-20, 05:00 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,469 Likes on 1,774 Posts

RCF does not have an ASC switch. It is on the GSF, though

Originally Posted by Dribble
Hey Guys,

I couldn't find anything definitive with respect to where the Active Sound Control Module or speaker is located in the RCF.

I have read that it is in the dash (in front of the driver), on the passenger side behind glove box, in the rear speaker hatch behind the back seat. I have looked everywhere on the web and cannot find a schematic that clearly indicates where these are. I am nervous about bringing my vehicle to the Lexus Dealer and have the technician pull apart my dash. The service manager didn't even know what model my vehicle was....he said nice F Sport.....drives me crazy.

Any help would be most appreciated.
Old 11-11-20, 05:22 AM
Dribble
Driver

Yeah, I wish it had a switch to turn it off. I am just wondering where the speaker is for this ASC or the module that controls it.
Old 11-11-20, 06:43 AM
Yri
Advanced

Received 145 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Dribble
Yeah, I wish it had a switch to turn it off. I am just wondering where the speaker is for this ASC or the module that controls it.

Comes from this thread here https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rc-...r-cabin-7.html on post 104. Apparently, in the schematic, the speaker box and control module are one whole piece.

EDIT: Beg my pardon, the box underneath the glove box its the speaker, the actual control module is below the instrument panel

Lexus press material:

The sound blasting from the RC F’s quad stacked tailpipes is sure to turn heads and raise pulse rates. Yet, Lexus also had to design the cabin to be quiet enough to enable enjoyment of the standard premium sound system or sonically stunning Mark Levinson® Premium Surround Sound system.

How could RC F drivers enjoy both? The answer is Active Sound Control (ASC), which lets the driver control enhanced exhaust, intake and mechanical sounds within the cabin. Specifically, Lexus sought to approximate the aural experience provided by the Lexus LFA, which issued some of the most stirring mechanical intake and exhaust notes of any supercar. Although LFA V10 engine revs to 9,000 rpm and RC F’s V8 to 7,100 rpm, the engineers have come close.

An electronic control unit mounted beneath the instrument panel takes input from engine sounds, including varying engine speed, vehicle speed and throttle position and generates augmented sound through an actuator. It is entirely separate from audio system, so there’s no reduction in music fidelity.

Most importantly is the driver controls ASC. It’s activated only in SPORT S+ mode, not Eco, Normal and SPORT S modes. And when it’s on, ASC blends with the natural intake and exhaust sounds to about a 50:50 ratio.

At engine speeds up to 3,000 rpm, ASC issues a steady tone of low and deep sounds.
As revs rise, the tone transforms into a higher-pitched note that blends with the engine’s mechanical sounds, culminating in a free-soaring sound beyond 6,000 rpm.

Last edited by Yri; 11-11-20 at 06:59 AM.
The following users liked this post:
tuscani66 (12-10-20)
Old 11-11-20, 07:17 AM
Dribble
Driver

Thank you so much Yri!!!!!
The following users liked this post:
Yri (11-11-20)
Old 12-09-20, 10:17 AM
LoSt180
Advanced

Received 593 Likes on 322 Posts

I guess the next question is: how hard is it to access that speaker and unplug it?
Old 12-09-20, 10:19 AM
Dribble
Driver

I watched a video of a guy putting Apple Car Play into an RCF. He showed how to take the passenger side of the dash apart. I am going to try this during the Xmas break. I'll let you know...lol
Old 12-09-20, 06:23 PM
yungicon
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know that on other models of the RC there is a specific dial to adjust the sound of the ASC, located where the BSM and Parking sensor buttons are.

do you guys think it could be a plug and play swap? Would it even do anything if it does work?
Old 12-10-20, 05:35 AM
LoSt180
Advanced

Guess it depends if there's an extra harness connector taped up in that location.

I checked out the wiring diagram and it's a simple setup. Unfortunately, the fuse is shared by several other controllers, so it's not as simple as I'd hope. Unplugg the speaker looks to be the best option.
Old 12-10-20, 09:16 AM
Yri
Advanced

Received 145 Likes on 115 Posts

Yes, unplugging the speaker is probably the best option. To me, it makes little to no sense why they got rid of the ASC slider. It just seems so uncanny.

I personally don't find too much of an issue with ASC, but I do wonder if there is any way to turn the volume down.
Old 12-10-20, 10:09 AM
nigel821
Racer

Received 769 Likes on 479 Posts

I haven't looked yet but do we have a harness plug that isn't used? If so would adding the switch work and control the speaker?

I looked under the dash and there is definitely a open blank spot by the tire pressure reset monitor button. It would be interesting to know if there was a harness plug and if a switch could be added?

-Nigel
Old 12-10-20, 10:48 AM
yungicon
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nigel821
I haven't looked yet but do we have a harness plug that isn't used? If so would adding the switch work and control the speaker?

I looked under the dash and there is definitely a open blank spot by the tire pressure reset monitor button. It would be interesting to know if there was a harness plug and if a switch could be added?

-Nigel
my guess is that the harness would be similar to other RC models. To me it doesn’t make complete sense to do an entirely different harness going from a 350 to an F model.

you’re looking for this part by the way. It goes where the blind spot button, parking sensor button, and rear wing activation button is. Part number 84432-53021

https://www.mylparts.com/oem-parts/l...bC12Ni1nYXM%3D
Old 12-10-20, 12:02 PM
LoSt180
Advanced

Looked at parts website and the sound controller and even the speaker are both different part numbers between the RCF and the base RC. I don't think the ASC switch will work on the F.

However, based on the pictures above, I did find the speaker and the controller. Speaker was easy to reach to unplug, so I unhooked it and tied the harness up so it doesn't rattle. The controller is interfaced to the car via CAN connection, so I wouldn't risk unplugging it.

You just pop the bottom cover off on the passenger side, and the speaker is bolted up on the right side. We'll see if I even notice a difference in sound in Sport+ next time I drive.

Speaker:

Unplugged:

Last edited by LoSt180; 12-14-20 at 07:39 AM.
Old 12-10-20, 06:05 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Is this on the RCF TE as well? What a terrible feature....
Old 12-10-20, 07:35 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,469 Likes on 1,774 Posts

Originally Posted by vraa
Is this on the RCF TE as well? What a terrible feature....
No RCF TE does not have it.

Quick Reply: ASC Location